Is it allowed legally to release MV inspired tracks on your own ?

VCP

I understand of course that doing a remix or recreation of Jan Hammer's score tracks that it requires crediting him... but can one release MV inspired tracks on his own ?

Are there things to consider ?

Inspiration is possible and is a good thing to do, you simply cannot use someone's else property without credits and especially make money of it but you can use the work of others to inspire yourself

My happy birthday song got no strikes on YouTube, and it’s LADEN with elements from Crockett’s Theme

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

My happy birthday song got no strikes on YouTube, and it’s LADEN with elements from Crockett’s Theme

Happy Birthday is out of copyright now, but interestingly it’s only been in the public domain for less than 10 years.  There’s a complex and fascinating story about the whole thing.  Google “happy birthday copyright history” if you’re interested.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, VCP said:

I understand of course that doing a remix or recreation of Jan Hammer's score tracks that it requires crediting him... but can one release MV inspired tracks on his own ?

Are there things to consider ?

The line between inspiration and sampling can be very grey.  Many music copyright lawsuits hinge on just how close a particular melodic line is to another in deciding infringement.  I was just reading over my Spring break about Ariana Grande’s 7 Rings, which is a lyrical rewrite of The Sound of Music’s My Favorite Things and also a dramatically different musical arrangement.  The profits from it sales largely went to the Rogders and Hammerstein estates, like 90%!

Here’s a different article I found about the same topic:

https://www.businessinsider.com/ariana-grande-7-rings-royalties-rodgers-and-hammerstein-my-favourite-things-sample-2019-3

Edited by pahonu
  • Like 1