2003 Jan Hammer Interview

airtommy

I was digging through papers and came across a Jan Hammer interview I had printed out years ago.  It hasn't been posted on our forum and I could not find any trace of it on the Internet.  I searched for the interviewer and was fortunate to find him on a guitar forum.  He kindly re-posted the interview with updated links:

Hammer Time: Talking ‘Miami Vice’ with Legendary Keyboardist Jan Hammer

Ed Driscoll

https://pjmedia.com/ed-driscoll/2024/04/02/hammer-time-talking-miami-vice-with-the-legendary-composer-jan-hammer-n4927822

He confirms that he left MV partly because the Dick Wolf regime de-emphasized him.

I wanted to leave after the third season. Again, there was another producer who was running the show, and I was getting sort of burned out. I was approaching episode #66 at this point, and you get drained. But also, I was not happy with the mixes, the music was sometimes buried, where it never was before-it was really featured, in the second season, especially. In the third season it got a little spotty. So I just said "enough".   Plus I had offers to do other things. I wanted to sort of branch out and do more features, and whatever.

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Jan: Believe it or not, there were people out there who would tape the episodes, and just records the snippets of the score that they could hear [without dialogue and/or sound effects], and then cut together their own mixes

I know he's talking about more advanced users, but that was me as teenager!:) I had a cassette recorder with a builtin mic that I held up to the tv speaker. The quality was awful and the tapes inevitably got chewed up over time.

I never would've imagined back then how many great Jan tracks and fantastic covers of his works I would have access to now.:cool:

On 4/7/2024 at 3:36 PM, airtommy said:

I was digging through papers and came across a Jan Hammer interview I had printed out years ago.  It hasn't been posted on our forum and I could not find any trace of it on the Internet.  I searched for the interviewer and was fortunate to find him on a guitar forum.  He kindly re-posted the interview with updated links:

Hammer Time: Talking ‘Miami Vice’ with Legendary Keyboardist Jan Hammer

Ed Driscoll

https://pjmedia.com/ed-driscoll/2024/04/02/hammer-time-talking-miami-vice-with-the-legendary-composer-jan-hammer-n4927822

He confirms that he left MV partly because the Dick Wolf regime de-emphasized him.

Great — thank you for posting. 
I think he would have gone anyway - Dick Wolf or not.

Love Jan!

Edited by Matt5