Scarface (1983) & Miami Vice are 100% canon.

Detective_Crockett

IMG_3640.thumb.jpeg.9c6f4303230f6191780de04d6f0189a4.jpeg

This was taken from the novelisation of the Pilot Episode entitled Miami Vice: Florida Burn’ written by Stephen Grave.. I always joked that Miami Vice and Scarface were in the same universe, or if it ever gets rebooted, make it a same universe thing and call it the CCU (Cocaine Cinematic Universe) but it looks like it was all well and official even back then.. nice to have it confirmed. 

• Like 9

Grave's stuff should be taken with a grain of salt. "Bubba Switek"? Really? He might have assumed they were in the same universe (which is fine for his stuff), but that doesn't mean Yerkovitch and Mann saw things the same way.

• Like 2

I used to have several of the Grave novels and the first 2 (at least) were enjoyable.  I don't recall whether they were "authorized" novelizations and/ or vetted by Yerkovich, Mann, etc.  Grave definitely injected some details that never appeared in the scripts as broadcast episodes. 

11 hours ago, vicegirl85 said:

I used to have several of the Grave novels and the first 2 (at least) were enjoyable.  I don't recall whether they were "authorized" novelizations and/ or vetted by Yerkovich, Mann, etc.  Grave definitely injected some details that never appeared in the scripts as broadcast episodes. 

I think they were more in the line of the I Spy/Man from UNCLE/insert TV show here stuff that used to be common. Names were licensed, and there might have been a modicum of editorial oversight in terms of content. But as far as review by show runners? Likely not. Those things tend to be network-licensed tie ins.

• Like 1