Who's been to Wales or France?

cageyJG

I'm leaving in two days, have never been. and want to make sure I hit any "not to miss" things. My planning attitude for this has been pretty nonchalant, I just like jumping in.Also, has anyone heard about any good 80s venues to visit..I'm going to see Depeche Mode on 27 June. Thanks a lotDB

Personal faves in Wales are Swansea and Llandudno - visited South Wales many times over the years then one day we randomly decided to do a tour of the coast round up to the North - felt like idiots for not doing it years earlier - we felt the North coast was more picturesque - some nice beaches. The only real 'city' (and that's nothing by US standards of course) is Cardiff - plenty to do there - if you go to Swansea don't miss a tour of the Gower or the Mumbles - one of the most popular destinations is Snowdonia - some great treks and activities available - recommend getting a hire car and drive around all you like - the isle of Anglesey has some wonderful open roads to drive on - well worth a visit if you have half a day spare - Brecon Beacons national park also great fun, visited several times as a child - watch out though, quality of some roads in the still underdeveloped villages (there used to be a lot of coal mines in Wales) isn't great, so the drive is sometimes slow.As for France, I only visited Paris and its suburbs a few years back a few times - a matter of taste of course but the city's legendary charm somehow escaped me... it's awful 'pong' did not! The south of France might appeal more to you - a lot more laid back and tends to have sunnier climes I understand.Let us know how it goes - blog it all on here every day if you can find a roaming ISP - and enjoy! Don't plan too much - we never had to and you can find most things available at short notice. Too much planning somehow kills the adventure element I find.

Hey Rod, thanks a lot man for your suggestions. I'll have to report back later because I'm dropping off the net for awhile. I am a bit of a word junkie and it will be hard for me to resist seeing places like "Swansea," "Snowdonia," and the Gower of Mumbles with my own eyes.I don't always like bigger cities. The first thing I did when I went to Ireland a loooooong time ago was to shoot straight out of Dublin and go driving town to town. With no plan in hand, I ended up making a circuitous route from east to west.Oh, I found this list of 80s places in London & elsewhere on www.inthe80s.com (below).:radio:Regards,CageyJGClubsEvent II - Brighton, England, Friday 9-30 til 2am, Fantastic tracks from 70's and 80's.Real bubble gum pop. Pub price booze.Alternative 80's - Bristol England, every thursday, a new night launched at the legendary bristol bierkeller.just ?2 to get in b4 11pm with 80's prices at the bars.playing everything from goth ,new romantic,one hit wonders,and everthing in between.JUICEY @ WKD CLUB - Camden Town, London, England, Every Saturday night 9pm-3am, JUICEY is a 70's/80's Disco-Funk night featuring the cream of international bands and DJs. WKD is a 2 floor split level Bar/Club in Camden and has had much media coverage including MTV, VH-1, BBC, Channel 4, Kiss 100FM as well as having people like Chaka Khan, N'dea Davanport, Sugerhill Gang, Tricky, Sade, Adina Howard grace the venue other the years.The Hippodrome - Colchester, UK, Every Tuesday Night, A blasting mix of all the very best of 80's pop with some 70's and 90's indie grooves thrown in for good measure. Bottles of Carlsberg and Hooch are ?1.00... no finer place to get off your face!The Clapham Grand - London UK, Thurs and Sat, Sat night has the famous Dr. Glitz and his fabulous flirtations. Girls in v skimpy stuff. The doctor in crazy 70's kit and big tash. Worth coming to London for. Top music and a flashing squares dance floor as seen in saturday night fever.Club Fantastic - London, England, Fridays and Saturdays. 80s and late 70s Club Night situated at 2 New Burlington Street London W1 just off Regents street 0181-455-3741 please check out our website http://www.Clubfantastic.co.ukAtomic @ The Open - London, UK, Saturday, 10pm to 6am, Downstairs is 70's & 80's , upstairs is some of the better 90's indie stuff. Not the most whamtasic joint in town,but they don't kick out til six.School Disco - London, UK, Every Saturday, 70s 80s retro disco dance club in London. Theme is a school disco with a school uniform dress code. http://www.schooldisco.co.ukThe Void - London, new Alternative 80s & New Wave club night based at the Islington Bar, Caledonian Road N1 9pm - 2am Visit website at http://www.futurwav.com/void for more details and membershipRock City - Nottingham, England, They have an amazing 80's disco every monday night in the Rig bit of the club. It's only about ?1 to get in, and it's full of goths- brilliant.Club I - Portsmouth UK, Mondays, Indie/80s/Goth/Rock night. Cheap drinks. Held at Club One Above, 227 Commercial Road, Portsmouth UK. More info http://www.philmarriott.comHOTPANTS - Sheffield, ENGLAND, Every Saturday (expect the first of each month), Two rooms one playing the best of the 70's and the other playing best of 80's. Dig those old clothes out and get in the spirit as many clubbers dress to impress. Excellant night out, especially for Hen nights.Electric Dreams, London, UK The Purple Turtle (Camden, London) Admission: £5 Date: Every Second Friday of the month Time: 10.30 - 3am. Also once a month at The London Stone, Cannon Street, London.Pretty In Pink Two floors of the best bits of the 80s (and late 70s) on the fourth Thursday of each month, at The Fly, 36-38 New Oxford St, London WC1A 1EP. Down in the basement, expect new wave, new romanticism and pop, whilst up on the ground floor, expect indie, alternative and post-punk! Full details on http://thefanclub.info/pretty.htm

I'm going to see Depeche Mode on 27 June.

I'm officially envious. That's an '80s event unto itself. For Paris, get Rick Steves' Paris Guidebook, and follow what he recommends to see in the Louvre. He is the expert, and I would have been pretty lost without his book.

one place I have always wanted to visit is Portmealion (spelling????) I believe it is in South Wales along the coastThat is where the series "the Prisoner" was filmed. Apparently it's quite and attraction itself just for the architecture alone?Just a thought...................

Yup...that's the place.Interesting buildings there and I always liked the stone boat!The Prisoner was one of my all time favorite series and I always said that if I ever get a chance to go to Wales, I would check this place out.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Greetings, comrade! You're right, I have put off reflecting far too long. Probably because there are few things that anybody wants less than to come off vacation!I was thrilled to be able to visit the U.K. for the first time - to not only be in the land of my ancestors but in the land of our great ally! Nothing compares!I didn't get to enjoy as much of the more pastoral parts as I would have liked, but driving through lush, rolling landscapes on the highway was a pleasant surprise, better than I could have imagined: Eingefügtes Bild And they play tons of awesome 80s on the radio, it was too much. I heard Duran Duran twice, the Clash, New Order, Tears for Fears, I couldn't believe it. You never hear this on U.S. radio, just crrrap! (Rolling my tongue.) I'll be sure to write more.

Great pic there mate - yeah that looks like the UK alright!Yeah tell us all when you get a chance - did you manage to visit the Mumbles in the end?

That's pretty cool Davey! Sounds like you're having a blast! :cool: Sadly, I haven't been back to Europe since 1989.:cry: But I seen some beautiful places that took me on a bus tour (it was 18 days long) of many countries which included U.K., France, Italy, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Luxenburg, Holland, Germany and I know I'm forgetting a few since there were 11 countries in total cause I'm thinking back to the brochure when I booked the trip that's why.:o I started in London (got in at Gatwick airport) and that was the beginning of my European adventure. The White Cliffs of Dover were stunning (crossing the English Channel with this enormous Ferry Boat). Aside from London (which was beautiful I'd like to add) we hit France as our next stop. It was there that we spent time in Paris, Lyon, Mariselle, The French Riviera, Nice, and Monaco before going to Italy. Also I remember seeing this chain of hotels (I take it it's probably the equivalent of the Best Western or Holiday Inn) it's called 'Hotel Ibis' with this huge flower logo (if my memory serves me correctly) on the side of their hotels. It was a fun trip and I had a great bunch of people that I met from all over the world that were so warm and friendly. It was sad to see it end, but I took away a lot of wonderful memories from that experience. As for the 80's music you mentioned above, while here in Toronto we've got our fair share of 80's airtime on various stations that I'm perfectly happy with. I do know that there is a wonderful world of retro 80's over the pond. It's great isn't it?!:radio::thumbsup:

@ Stinger - I actually listen to a variety of stations (at various times of the day/week/weekend) to get my fix of 80's music. I keep on changing the channels, but it never ceases to amaze me how quickly an 80's song comes on. The ones that I tune into are 104.5 ChumFM (Sunday mornings from 9-11when they air the 'Lost 80's Brunch' & Mon-Fri from noon to 1pm when they air the popular 'Back In The Day Cafe'). Also there's the live to air 'Saturday Nights Dance Party' (10pm-2am) from the Courthouse Lounge in downtown Toronto. Then there's 92.5 JackFM whose motto is 'playing what we want'. There's also Z103.5 (they're club-tracks though) for the 'Way Back Wednesday Mega-Mix'featuring DJ Danny D spinning live every Wednesday afternoon at 1pm. Tony Monaco takes care of the live to air (on the same station featuring dance music) called 'Wayback Wednesdays'. And lastly, there's Q107 (and they've got 'The Kim Mitchell Show' that airs weekdays from 2-7pm, along with their Psychedelic Psundays that's pretty good too, but that's another story). Sometimes, they manage to sneek a good tune in on 97.3 EZ Rock, 98 CHFI FM, and Virgin Radio 99.9. As you know, many, if not all of the above have streaming music from each of their sites for your continued daily enjoyment. However, the above forementioned doesn't include the various 80's online stations throughout the world you can listen to while you're at the computer. Hope this answers your question. :radio:And now back to our regularily scheduled topic.....:)