Lawrence of Arabia; anyone seen it?

COOPER&BURNETT

Has anyone seen Lawrence of Arabia? Is it great, good, fair, or sucks?Is it worth me renting? I hear it's a long movie.I loved the music score (I collect film scores. Own about 2,000).So, is it worth me renting? On a scale of one to ten, what do you rank it at?Your thoughts please.

It is a piece of cinematic history - worth watching for that point alone. Yes it is long but stick with it, well worth the effort. Cinematography for its time was superb, still 50 odd years later very impressive. Scenes as they wander through the desert like the Wadi Rum area were what inspired me to visit it in real life about 10 years ago - one of the most beautiful places in the world.

Couldn't agree more.The cinemetrogphy is spectacualar and the story line is awesome, considering 90% was true! (there was a bit of embelishment for dramatic effect)I also read T.E. Lawrence's book "Seven Pillars of Wisdom". A very difficult read I might add, but very intriguing and interesting which explains a lot of what the Arab world experienced over the last few thousand years and why they are ... the way they are.The book is the autobiography of Lawrence's adventure in the desert wars as well as background info on the conflicts.The movie is outstanding and I have the special edition widescreen version which I watch about once a year. I have seen it a dozen times and never tire of it.Awesome flick for sure! One of the best movies of ALL TIME!

I rate it an 8 on a 10 scale. My two top all time classics are at number 2: Queen Of The Nile starring Bogart and at number 1: Casablanca. Again a Bogey movie. Especially Casablanca is amazing. Black and white not an action movie but you are not bored for one second due to the quality of the actors. Lawrence of Arabia is my number 3. Again an all time classic and I can highly recommend it if you are even remotely interested.

I have a copy of it, but have never watched it. There's another book that's a spoof of Lawrence of Arabia called Florence of Arabia by Christopher Buckley. Its a bit more up to date, but very funny.