PHIL THE SHILL'S FURNITURE I.D.

COOPER&BURNETT

Remember the room in PHIL THE SHILL that had all the funky furniture?Eingefügtes Bild Phil got this stuff from Izzy.Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildIzzie got this stuff from heads of state, ....dentists. Well, what you don't know is that the stuff he stole, is collectible, and expensive. Collectors would love to have this stuff! You'd have to be a highly paid person to own this. Here's a screen shot of the episode where they pan around the room.Eingefügtes BildWell, in the middle of that shot is this very collectible piece of furniture.Eingefügtes BildThis is a classic Memphis style shelf from 1981 called a "Casablanca shelf".It's part of a movement in furiture style similar to ART DECO, but a bit more modern.

Coop - Out of all the things you've found out about the show, this is one of the most awesome!! :happy:Can I ask how you ever identified this piece?? Magnificent detective work! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I was trying to I.D. this couch, and found the Memphis shelf on the internet while researching the couch and chair.Eingefügtes Bild

A great find nevertheless. As I'm obsessed with art deco style it's a huge deal to me to get the ID. Thanks!

I too LOVE art deco, and Memphis style. Obviously got the bug from MIAMI VICE.Modern is what I currently have going, but all these styles are interchangeable, and can work together.

Eingefügtes Bild

The couch and chair are Art Deco style. The coffee table is Memphis style. See, they can work together.

Can anyone else I.D. any other furniture in this, or any other episode of MIAMI VICE? Murph and I would love to know!

For one minute I thought you actually OWNED the Casablanca! (That wouldn't surprise me anyway) You were very good at noticing it in the scene! :clap:I've seen it in a museum here, there's an entire section dedicated to Memphis and Ettore Sottsass, and it's awesome!I don't want to think that I could have LIVED the magic of the Memphis group because it was established in Milan (from 1981 to 1988), but I was a teenager and had other interests... I missed such an awesome opportunity... :cry:I can't ID the couch and chair.

Memphis style is great. Originals are rare. Looks like Izzy stole some pretty rare, and valuable stuff for Phil!I'd like to know about the couch still.

Looks like Izzy stole some pretty rare' date=' and valuable stuff for Phil![/quote']Looks like someone in MV set decoration dept. was light years ahead of time!

Looks like someone in MV set decoration dept. was light years ahead of time!

They really were absolutely current. Everything was, cars, clothes, homes, furniture....that's why it still looks fresh today, when other shows of the era look dated. MIAMI VICE doesn't age like the other shows of the time BECAUSE it was way ahead of it's time.Those who were set directors, etc. are really unknown heros that are unknown today despite the achievements that were done. I'd like to find one of them and interview them...pick their minds.They really didn't get the credit they deserved.I'd like to give it to them.

I've never seen any shelf like that in my town...I wonder where they got "Memphis" style?Now I do know about Memphis style ribs. I've been brought up cooking that way, long before Corky's exploded. :)