Donnie Darko - sequel!

cageyJG

Man, somewhere we used to have an awesome post about this but it's since disappeared. There were a lot of passionate comments about this film.I just wanted to know if anyone else saw S. (Samantha) Darko. Dude!! I know! There's a sequel?! You don't say. It's at Blockbuster!Very decent, probably disappointing to the fans of the original because it could've been darker. . . ... hmmm, where am I going with this?The original was set in the 80s, perfectly appropriate to throw into the ring on such an aptly themed forum. Probably clobbered at the theaters, it became something of a cult hit. The Tears for Fears scene is famous:

. The sequel, being in the 90s had an earlier and stronger sense of magical realism and I think this was one of the strong points. Didn't recognize much of the soundtrack here, but it was pretty good. Plus, you can't beat a lonely desert mise en scene to get your empty, bleak canvas... that's where it's at.Not sure which itch the former scratched for its fans, and I was somewhat disappointed at first, maybe I needed to let it grow on me. I'm still not sure how much of a greater appreciation I'd have to see the original again.