MV Movie / Common Themes to TV Series

jcm8002204

This has probably been covered, but ever try to put together all of the MV Episode themes that were covered in the 2006 feature film. It was almost if the writers reviewed all of the DVDs, scripts and pulled together threads from many of them...I know there were a lot of them throughout the movie, specifically a similar theme as Prodigal Son regarding the 'vertical integration' of the drug biz....THANKS

Guest neworder

The boat scene where they pick up the dope off the big boat and put it into the speedboats is lifted pretty much straight from 'Yankee Dollar'

One Way Ticket for the jet scene. Pretty much any scene at OCB in the meeting room for the way they pan the camera round the detectives early on in the film - they always used to do this in MV with the camera training on everyone in the team, often coming full circle. The shootout scene at the end of the film looks uncannily like the shootout at the end of Freefall if you ask me. I haven't seen the film since it was in the cinemas - when/if I get it out again it'll no doubt jog my memory some more. Be interesting to have a similar discussion for Heat or Collateral or for that matter any Mann movie - there are similarities throughout his work. Heat is still head and shoulders in my book above anything else he's done as far as films go.

• Administrators

It's been too long since I saw the movie to remember and I don't care to watch it again. Wasn't high on my list.

It's been too long since I saw the movie to remember and I don't care to watch it again. Wasn't high on my list.

I was really disappointed with the film when it came out - but I guess I'm about ready to have a re-watch now. As for themes, does Farrell's ponytail vs the Burnett saga count?

Mann is still the reigning master of night time shoot outs...MV 2006 and Public Enemies...shootouts on TV were a joke before Vice...just watch the A-Team!

Mann is still the reigning master of night time shoot outs...MV 2006 and Public Enemies...shootouts on TV were a joke before Vice...just watch the A-Team!

No kidding! All those bullets fired and no one had their name on one? :)

I'm one of those suckers who bought the 2006 DVD! Seriously though...the movie wasn't all that bad. I've seen far worse movies. Since buying it I've watched it 3 times. Each time viewing it, I'm constantly reminded of "Smuggler's Blues" and "Prodigal Son". Similar plot and a lot of the dialog was taken from the episodes too. Best acting in the movie was the Jose Yiero character.

• Administrators

It was an OK cop movie. It had no ties to MV other then the character names. I thought the character introductions were pretty weak. I didn't even know which was Larry and Stan till the second time I watch it. :thumbsdown:

I didn't even know which was Larry and Stan till the second time I watch it. :thumbsdown:

Same here. First time viewing it I though Stan was one of the bad guys they were staking out.

Smuggler's Blues is the most obvious reproduction...The Boat scene is of course just like Calderone's return...I also noticed the long hair of Colin Farrel and likened it to Burnett end of Season 4...I didn't think about Prodigal Son though, but can see similarities now.The shootout at the end, I thought was like Evan, just on a bigger scale - in the sense that there's a meet in some industrial area at night, baddies' cars are there as well - I suppose those sort of meets happen quite frequently in MV.The Trudy + Tubbs love was new. In the MV series, Tubbs didn't show any interest, right? I can remember Trudy showing interest in Walk Alone.And there's no love interest b/w Sonny and Gina in the movie.Of course the black convertible Ferrari F430 is just a modern take on the black convertible Daytona.

In the movie they certainly changed Gina's character. She was more of a badass in the movie. They even gave her the theme of Sonny's line from the TV Show "Glades" when they went to rescue Trudy in the trailer. My kind of woman!

In the Air TonightThis was reused of course! But just like they tried to do a 21st century "updated" take on Miami Vice, they did the same with the song and ruined it...