Depeche Mode

Gina_Calabrese

I just recently got Depeche's new album, Sounds Of The Universe. So the reviews on Amazon weren't that good (aside from some who raved about it), I consider it one of the best. My new favorite band. And this is the song you should know them for: Just Can't Get Enough. I suppose this is the appreciation thread for Depeche, feel free to post anything to do with them.

• Administrators

I always like Depeche Mode, they put out some great songs over the years."Enjoy the Silence" is one of my favorites.

Depeche Mode are one of my favourite bands too. So many great songs -Personal Jesus, Just Can't Get Enough, Enjoy the Silence, Everything CountsThey had three great songs on Vice - Fly On The Windscreen, Never Let Me Down Agro Mix, Pleasure Little Treasure

• 3 weeks later...

:radio:Thanks Diva, Policy of Truth blew the crowd away, it was fun singing along but it was also hard because everyone was tone deaf since the music was so loud. I p*d off my girlfriend which had me all sulky for a few but who cares. World in My Eyes, eh? What a romantic :)Thrilled to see them because I found out about them in high school when I was first really diving into music and they've always had a great spot in the collection. I bought "101," my first live album ever. (I also picked up "Cure - Paris" which was also live at the same time from a little shop called Flat, Black and Circular out at Michigan State U.) I was just like, "Damn, they can fill a stadium!" and to this date are they are a world heavyweight of synth-rock and still putting out new albums. It's good to see maturity in this genre, all the quote "big" bands evolve and still put out masterful work. Depeche Mode as you know had issues with Dave Gahan's darker times and thank G*d they are still moving people the way they do. With the magic freaking tickets picked up at Virgin Records, (it was the day after M.J. passed on), I posed for several giddy pictures and - I finally got my chance to be part of this big historic concert experience live after hearing them on 101 so long ago. If you remotely like any 80s, the new Sounds album Gina mentioned is so stellar, why not run out and pick it up? Oh, the photo of the spacesuits, guess what that song was? The PRODUCTION was PHENOMENAL, pure fireworks the whole time, centering on this giant half disco ball thing which was used very creatively, as an auto-typewriter ball, the earth... This was the setlist. A good blend of the new and old. We were right by the speakers for the first hour and that wasn't a good idea. I can hang with the kids (which there weren't many), but you just couldn't hear the music at that range, just bass from stadium-sized speakers which made me start to feel very unhealthy, like chest compressions that I didn't need! I am not exaggerating. People were ripping up their tickets and stuffing them in their ears. I don't want to be like Mr. guy with projector slides, because, face it, do many people care? No, :sick: but I like this sitelist website because you can play the songs and sometimes videos pop-up:http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/depeche-mode/2009/stade-de-france-paris-france-13d67179.html1.In Chains Play Video 2.Wrong Play Video 3.Hole to Feed Play Video 4.Walking in My Shoes Play Video 5.It's No Good Play Video 6.A Question of Time Play Video 7.Precious Play Video 8.Fly on the Windscreen Play Video 9.Little Soul Play Video 10.Home Play Video 11.Come Back Play Video 12.Peace Play Video 13.In Your Room Play Video 14.I Feel You Play Video 15.Policy of Truth Play Video 16.Enjoy the Silence Play Video 17.Never Let Me Down Again Play Video Encore:18.Stripped Play Video 19.Master and Servant Play Video 20.Strangelove Play Video Encore 2:21.Personal Jesus Play Video 22.Waiting for the NightBare version Play Video *Spacesuits: Enjoy the Silence.

I can't understate the importance that the wild production brought to this show... like I told you it was disorienting enough getting my innards levelled by the 10 ft. tall speakers, but getting dazzled by the light show, pulled off in a very thematic way to each song, was also important.If you can make out the chicks making out in the background... some Asian lady was pulling a stocking off some Euro-babe in slow motion... which song was that? Guess I'll have to wait for the DVD, might've been Master and Servant. Eingefügtes BildThis was from "Precious" from "Playing the Angel" ... just so incredible.Eingefügtes BildOh yeah, I was glad to see the nod to Miami Vice when Flies on the Windscreen lit off.

Cagey... I'm envious. Still waiting for them to announce they're gonna tour here, not sure but if they do I will do anything to get tickets.Can't believe they played Fly On The Windscreen! I was under the delusion that wasn't one of their more popular songs.And again, SOTU is one of the best albums in my opinion. I assume everyone did the arm-waving for Never Let Me Down Again?

I wish I could remember. Probably so. By that time into the concert, everyone was so worked up the stadium was just overflowing with energy. By then it was dark and there were quite a few Brits around us singing along, I remember two ladies behind us that didn't skip a beat. How did you get interested in D.M.?

How did you get interested in D.M.?

The first song I heard was Just Can't Get Enough. Keep getting flashbacks to singing that in the shower when I was 6 and didn't know what a 'Depeche Mode' was. Then, 8 years later, I found Vice. Figured out Fly On The Windscreen was an awesome song, then downloaded Personal Jesus and Never Let Me Down Again off iTunes. And now, after weeks of religiously looking in JB Hi-Fi for their new album, I found it. Of course my dad paid for it.And now I absolutely love them. And spent a whole lesson (computers) in school today watching the music videos on their website. :dance:

Cool photos :) thanks for posting them, I'm hyped up now, I got the tickets to see them in december in London, it can't come early enough it seems!

Cool photos :) thanks for posting them' date=' I'm hyped up now, I got the tickets to see them in december in London, it can't come early enough it seems![/quote']Pal, this was my one shot at DM greatness and if it's your first time too, you don't know what you're in for! It was the experience of a lifetime. I would've paid double. The crowd was in a frenzy, you would have thought people were being born again. Don't forget earplugs if you're going to try and cram your way up front. Get there early and try not to have to go the loo!

The first song I heard was Just Can't Get Enough. Keep getting flashbacks to singing that in the shower when I was 6 and didn't know what a 'Depeche Mode' was. Then' date=' 8 years later, I found Vice. Figured out Fly On The Windscreen was an awesome song, then downloaded Personal Jesus and Never Let Me Down Again off iTunes. And now, after weeks of religiously looking in JB Hi-Fi for their new album, I found it. Of course my dad paid for it.And now I absolutely love them. And spent a whole lesson (computers) in school today watching the music videos on their website. :dance:[/quote']Have you bought their CDs or do you buy MP3s? Which was your last one?Whenever I get to speak with an Aussie, I inevitably must ask if he or she likes The Church, from Sydney. http://www.thechurchband.com/mediagallery/bio.phtmlIf you aren't familiar with them, I think you will like them, especially since you like the D.M. vibe. Let me know if you do. :)

OK fellow Depeche fans... I need some help...I was in the gym today and they were playing a slower version of Enjoy The Silence on the music channel that they had on - unfortunately they only had that playing on the small screens so I couldn't read the details - can anyone help me with what mix/version this was...Thanks

Not sure because both the videos I've seen are not slow. Interesting note on Wikipedia that the song was originally intended to be slow tempo, I didn't know that. There are tons of covers and remixes. Wish I could help.P.S., here's an easter egg I found for you...http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1498191/Lets-slow-everything-down-and-enjoy-the-silence-says-Charles.html: )

http://www.thechurchband.com/mediagallery/bio.phtmlIf you aren't familiar with them, I think you will like them, especially since you like the D.M. vibe. Let me know if you do. :)

I normally buy MP3s, but I do sometimes buy CDs. First and last DM album I bought was Sounds Of The Universe, but I have a ton of MP3s. I did borrow Playing The Angel from my library, gotta buy that CD. Last song of DM's I got was... Shake The Disease. I also took a few songs from the Touring The Angel: Live In Milan DVD, Shake The Disease and Enjoy The Silence. I've actually never heard of The Church but just previewed a few of their songs on iTunes, they're good. I must have heard them on the radio before, that voice sounds familiar.Morgana, have you heard the live version of Enjoy The Silence? At the start it's quite slow, and there's a music video of it live.

Thanks guys... what I could see of the video from where I was sitting was that it had computer generated flowers... I know, about as much use as a chocolate Testarossa!

I have a remixed version of the track on a dance album, it's the Richard X remix but it's not particularly slow. Btw I live six miles from where the guys used to live & go to school in good old Basildon, Essex. They were famous by the time I moved to the county so I've never met them - they're still very popular locally.Another Basildon-ite who played with Vince Clark in Yazoo was Alison Moyet - her mum taught french in a local school. I went to the local theatre recently & an artist has dome a plaque to Depeche Mode. I had my camera with me but there were loads of people coming out of the play we'd watched. I'll try and get a picture next time I go into Basildon for you, Gina. If I can find out where the guys used ot live then I'll try & get some pics for you :-)Sue

• 2 weeks later...

If only I could've been in Tampa... can't wait to see some reviews.-------A new find for me - the synthpop wiki... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SynthpopFirst wave: late 1970s and 1980s"Giorgio Moroder paired up with Donna Summer in 1977 to release the electronic disco song I Feel Love. While a disco song first and foremost, the programmed, arpeggiated beats had a profound impact on the bands which would soon be known as synthpop. That same year, Ultravox member Warren Cann purchased a Roland TR-77 drum machine, which was first featured in their October 1977 single release Hiroshima Mon Amour. The ballad arrangement, metronome-like percussion and heavy use of the ARP Odyssey synthesizer was effectively a prototype for nearly all synthpop bands that were to follow.""In 1978, the first incarnation of the Human League of Sheffield, England released their debut single "Being Boiled". In the United States, Devo, who had been using synthesizers since their beginnings in 1975, moved towards a more electronic sound. Japan's Yellow Magic Orchestra released their first album in 1978, although it was their second album, Solid State Survivor (released a year later) which would prove particularly influential[citation needed] and attract the media's attention.""In the UK, the original synthesizer bands had a sound that was generally dark, moody and robotic and were more founded in an avant-garde, art rock aesthetic. Frank Tovey, who performed under the name Fad Gadget and was signed to Daniel Miller's Mute Records made use of found objects in his work such as bottles and razors. Daniel Miller himself had a role in the emerging futurist movement as a performer under the name The Normal which released a one-off single Warm Leatherette. Although the single did not chart, it became a cult favorite and has been covered by many artists since its release, including Grace Jones, Duran Duran and Nine Inch Nails.""In 1979, Giorgio Moroder collaborated with the band Sparks on their album, No. 1 In Heaven, perhaps one of the first bands to 'crossover' to synthpop. Others were soon to follow, including Tubeway Army, a little known outfit from West London, who dropped their initial punk rock image and topped the UK charts in the summer of 1979 with the single "Are Friends Electric?". This prompted the singer, Gary Numan to go solo and in the same year he release the Kraftwerk inspired album, The Pleasure Principle and again topped the charts for the second time with the single "Cars". M's hit single "Pop Muzik" even seemed to poke fun at the synthpop movement, by some interpretations.""This Zeitgeist of revolution in electronic music performance and recording/production was encapsulated by then would be record producer, Trevor Horn of The Buggles in the international hit Video Killed the Radio Star. With the success of this single synth pop had firmly arrived in the mainstream and the music landscape changed for ever.""As avant-garde of Futurism (music) fused with the pop sensibilities of the New Romantics the sounds of synthesizers came to dominated the pop music of the early 80s as well as replacing disco in dance clubs in Europe."