Michael Mann or Miami Vice

Burnett1292

Thought I would drop this question for people to ponder. Is everyone here a Miami Vice fan, or just a Michael Mann fan, or a Michael Mann fan by virtue of the fact that he was so heavily involved in the concept of Miami Vice?

• Administrators

I would think most are a fan of the tv show Miami Vice first. That is what this forum is about and that is what is mainly discussed on here. The show is what we watched although he was the executive producer of it.

MV fan for sure. But in saying that because of MM's involvement with MV I tend to take an interest in movies old & new that he's involved with:D:D

Interesting. Surprisingly for me, though I watched Vice back oin the day, I never really developed a huge interest in it until I saw Heat.

Well I was a huge fam of MV but when "Crime Story" aired in 1987 I started watching it as well. I then became of huge fan of MM's work as it seemed to draw many parallels and most series I saw, or movies, were very well done. I also like "The Insider" which I think Mann did a great job on too!One of my all time favorite movies...

I'm a Miami Vice fan and I do like M. Mann's touch, although not in the 2006 MV movie! I love Miami Vice but I've become a fan of DJ & PMT especially when they were together in 2 episodes of Nash Bridges. Nash Bridges has become my 2nd favorite TV series, all because of the coolness Don Johnson & the exciting story lines!

I became a MM fan partly by virtue of MV. Along the same lines, I also became a fan of Jan Hammer (who is now one of my favorite musicians via such), a bigger fan of Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel, and even Billy Idol... :oThen of course, I started following the Tony D. route and became a fan of DJ by virtue of MV, and as such have also become a Nash fan. As Tony and I know, TIS ALL 'BOUT DA ACTION BABEE! :DCrime Story, from what I've read, seems like something I'd be interested in, and I've been wanting to check it out. The route by which I'm not sure of, but it'll come sometime. I'm still working on making it through S2 of Nash... ;)

• Administrators

That question probably go either way but I'd say "Miami Vice" first. That's why we're all here. I like MM's work but I will also be the first to say that a lot of his movies could use a bit of creative editing. One of the main reasons I'm on the fence about seeing "Public Enemies" is that his movies are too damn long.

That question probably go either way but I'd say "Miami Vice" first. That's why we're all here. I like MM's work but I will also be the first to say that a lot of his movies could use a bit of creative editing. One of the main reasons I'm on the fence about seeing "Public Enemies" is that his movies are too damn long.

Ditto. I saw Heat when it was in theater, but I haven't watched it since (I do have a copy) because it's too long.Also, I don't think you can chose one or the other since MV doesn't exist without MM IMO.

I started following the Tony D. route and became a fan of DJ by virtue of MV' date=' and as such have also become a Nash fan. As Tony and I know, TIS ALL 'BOUT DA ACTION BABEE! :DCrime Story, from what I've read, seems like something I'd be interested in, and I've been wanting to check it out. The route by which I'm not sure of, but it'll come sometime. I'm still working on making it through S2 of Nash... ;)[/quote']I like Nash too. Only got two episodes of season 2 left to watch. Sure wish they'd release S3! Maybe by the time I get another MM creation on dvd (Vega$ S1,V1 Oct 20th), they'll at least announce S3 release.

Well I was a huge fam of MV but when "Crime Story" aired in 1987 I started watching it as well. I then became of huge fan of MM's work as it seemed to draw many parallels and most series I saw' date=' or movies, were very well done. I also like "The Insider" which I think Mann did a great job on too!One of my all time favorite movies...[/quote']Same reasons, Vice First, then liked everything else he did because of his unmistakable style and attention to detail. He does best as producer,then diector. As a writer he gets too bogged down in detail and forgets to develop his characters first. The Aviator was an excellent example of his work when he collaberates with others.

Thought I would drop this question for people to ponder. Is everyone here a Miami Vice fan' date=' or just a Michael Mann fan, or a Michael Mann fan by virtue of the fact that he was so heavily involved in the concept of Miami Vice?[/quote']A little of both...I saw LA Takedown (TV pre-cursor to HEAT) which I thought was excellent...Since HEAT, I have gathered many movies from MM...Manhunter is brilliant and I really liked Wm Petersen in Live&Die in LA.....(not a MM), but great as well

Interesting viewpoints. Like I said, I started out with a general interest way back when Vice was on TV, but then it went away until TNN picked it up (at least that's what happened here in Canada). Then I saw MANHUNTER, HEAT and THIEF, became a huge Mann fan and was extremely interested in Vice. When it hit TNN, I couldn't get enough of Vice or Mann. Saw Collateral, and the Insider and loved both. I DO agree with some of the posters here though, in that I think Mann gets into trouble when he tries to write his movies. Some of his screenplays work ie. Manhunter, Thief. Others not so well ie. Ali. I did like the MV movie, but like Public Enemies, was somewhat disappointed in that while it was good, it really had the potential to be great. Having said that, I'm soemwhat losing interest in Mann. I can't ever lose my interest in Vice though.

That extended video series on Mann (can't remember the thread here) was interesting in that Part 1 picked-up how he is a blend (in terms of his training) of traditional Directing and a 'Documentary style' director. You can see aspects of both in much of his work from as early as MV right through to today. I don't think it's just about whether or not he's more producer or director in a particular role however. For me, Heat is long but you feel it much less than say in Manhunter (which has been running for several nights here in the UK on one or two of the satellite channels). And Heat is far more accomplished in terms of 'styling' - doesn't need to get carried-away in terms of historic/factual details - probably mainly because it doesn't need to, in a way which a movie like Ali, Public Enemies or the Insider needs to get involved in detail. Collateral wasn't that long though was it? I think for me that might be his most 'exciting' movie yet - great entertainment and didn't feel too long.

Apparently Michael Mann was involved with the early stages of development of Nash Bridges as well - DJ called him to ask advice and discuss ideas. DJ then brought in John Nicollela ( "Miami Vice" show's runner and producer in Season 1 and 2 also director of one episode in Season 3 ) to Exec Produce the first 10 episodes before his death.

As much as Michael Mann contributed to Miami Vice, his work has been too random in quality, Thief got annoying dull at times, Manhunter was great, Heat was a masterpiece, but his recent work has been pretty meh except for his show Robbery Homicide Division, so I am here as a Vicefan definitely, and someone who prefers the Dick Wolf later years to the Mann early years.