Best Miami Resort?

airtommy

If you had money to burn and wanted to stay somewhere really nice in Miami, where would it be?I'm interested in both the general tourist perspective as well as the perspective of the MV/movie buff. Some top resorts that I'm aware of include the Key Biscayne Ritz, the Mandarin Oriental on Brickell Key, the Fisher Island Hotel, etc. I guess a film buff would choose the Fontainebleu?

If you had money to burn and wanted to stay somewhere really nice in Miami' date=' where would it be?I'm interested in both the general tourist perspective as well as the perspective of the MV/movie buff. Some top resorts that I'm aware of include the Key Biscayne Ritz, the Mandarin Oriental on Brickell Key, the Fisher Island Hotel, etc. I guess a film buff would choose the Fontainebleu?[/quote']Airtommy - if you had money to burn the Mandarin Orintal on Brickell Key seems to be the place or The Setai(aka The Sasson in Miami Vice Days) on Collins Ave, Miami Beach as well as The Delano on Collins Ave. The Tides on Ocean Dr ( a lot of MV history ) is also another really top notch resort.The New Fontainebleau Apt/Hotel I dont know much about - but the old Fontainebleau we know from the Sinatra Movies/MV and Police Academy 5 is closed.I hear a lot of the really expensive hotels are really struggling , in the current financial climate, so expect deals a plenty.Many of the new condos stand empty in Miami also and they are now advertising short term lets for the traveller.I have stayed quite regularly at The Loews Resort on Collins Ave, Miami Beach ( next door to the St Moritz , which is also owned by the Loews Resort and that's really nice if you have money to burn. http://miamibeach2008.natca.net/LoewsFront.jpghttp://elizabethcrookphoto.com/blog/uploads/loews-south-beach-miami-734969.jpgI always think the definitive Hotel for the MV buff is The Carlyle /The Cardozo at Ocean Dr/13th St, Miami Beach - the corner where it all happened 25 years ago.:D
  • Like 2

• 8 years later...
On 7/31/2009 at 1:31 AM, airtommy said:

If you had money to burn and wanted to stay somewhere really nice in Miami, where would it be?I'm interested in both the general tourist perspective as well as the perspective of the MV/movie buff. Some top resorts that I'm aware of include the Key Biscayne Ritz, the Mandarin Oriental on Brickell Key, the Fisher Island Hotel, etc. I guess a film buff would choose the Fontainebleu?

Just saw this thread..would definitely be interested in further comments/suggestions on places to stay there. My only experience is at the airport hotels for overnighters on my way to other places. 

• Haha 1

If I had money to burn I would stay in the Versace Mansion (Casa Casuarina) right on Ocean Drive.  I'm sure it is incredibly expensive and is now owned by the Jordache denim brand family.  It's an exclusive 10 room boutique hotel and restaurant.  If you've got that kind of money how about floating me a loan?   :D   If not I would recommend the Essex House, not too expensive, nice place, and great Vicey location.  Not really familiar with "resorts."

p.JPG

• Like 1

Cool post from the past! Just in time for my upcoming trip to South Beach. I’m staying on Ocean Drive at the Carlyle end of May. I wanted to stay where it all started!

Edited by ZAQ 178
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, miamijimf said:

If I had money to burn I would stay in the Versace Mansion (Casa Casuarina) right on Ocean Drive.  I'm sure it is incredibly expensive and is now owned by the Jordache denim brand family.  It's an exclusive 10 room boutique hotel and restaurant.  If you've got that kind of money how about floating me a loan?   :D   If not I would recommend the Essex House, not too expensive, nice place, and great Vicey location.  Not really familiar with "resorts."

p.JPG

Thanks Jim and I saw this house just recently on the Versace mini series. Never even realized it was a place that was available for stay. I'd probably opt for something a little more reasonable in price but definitely want to stay in or near the sites seen on Vice. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I must say Bentley Hotel in the corner of 5th and Ocean. It may not be the most luxurious one but it's nice enough. Spacey rooms,  atleast ours was a had a nice living-room + kitchen and a separate bedroom. Perfect with stay with children.There was a fold-out sofa but it was hard and uncomfortable, but one sleeps comfortably on the sofa with the cushions on.

Closest Walgreen is just around the corner on 5th, there's a CVS and a bigger Publix just a few blocks away, paired with the kitchen in room you can cook your dinners in if you want to save.

Ocean Drive is right there when you step out the front doors, but it's still far away from the party places so noise won't be an issue. But close enough you can make a stroll there even with kids and be back in your hotel quickly enough if they become sleepy.

You can get to downtown with a bus from Washington just two blocks away and the stop for the Trolley is also there. Perfect location and the in-room kitchen is a huge plus. Rooftop pool and jacuzzi are also nice.

Hilton Bentley South Beach is a bit more classy and expensive. Abit farther away at 1st and Ocean, but it's closer to the beach. BTW, does anyone know why they are both named 'Bentley' ?

Just back from Miami and it rocked! Stayed at the Carlyle where it all started! This is not a hotel anymore. It’s all been converted to individual condos which is what we had and it was a good size too!

Views from our condo in and around the Carlyle, Ocean Ct. & 13street looking at the Cardozo & Collins Ave.

F11E1456-0E30-41EC-A15B-05B4CDE17040.jpeg

04D3D967-A67D-4DBF-A388-A078CF37D95A.jpeg

D6BDF48B-648C-4842-A00F-BDBC7B6DE245.jpeg

A008D963-E1BD-4DEA-8C65-4B89F4CECC49.jpeg

23D56586-3D5E-4DDE-B66D-4415E72BD345.jpeg

6E36125A-FECA-4D9D-9769-0D4798CFC7DE.jpeg

4DF01CDA-D558-4298-9FEC-17549FDD5EAC.jpeg

DAF190DD-9233-4CDB-8F04-44F70E6B5801.jpeg

A17D3BC4-C7F6-471F-974A-FE92617290F2.jpeg

5E46D55A-64FD-4EE5-A2AA-2C06EB6DDBF1.jpeg

53AE1E08-1519-4EFF-8C6A-6F5302E7D0B0.jpeg

D8E862FE-FAA4-4EE1-BEFC-9E737E94519F.jpeg

2A55602F-E96C-45E5-8DE3-3CB2C6B494EB.jpeg

02AB3133-9E12-4E91-A655-57C7B30A3439.jpeg

Edited by ZAQ 178
  • Like 3

Very nice Jay - what floor were you on ? and how many nites at The Carlyle.

Miami VIce history in the making there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JDe75 said:

I must say Bentley Hotel in the corner of 5th and Ocean. It may not be the most luxurious one but it's nice enough. Spacey rooms,  atleast ours was a had a nice living-room + kitchen and a separate bedroom. Perfect with stay with children.There was a fold-out sofa but it was hard and uncomfortable, but one sleeps comfortably on the sofa with the cushions on.

Closest Walgreen is just around the corner on 5th, there's a CVS and a bigger Publix just a few blocks away, paired with the kitchen in room you can cook your dinners in if you want to save.

Ocean Drive is right there when you step out the front doors, but it's still far away from the party places so noise won't be an issue. But close enough you can make a stroll there even with kids and be back in your hotel quickly enough if they become sleepy.

You can get to downtown with a bus from Washington just two blocks away and the stop for the Trolley is also there. Perfect location and the in-room kitchen is a huge plus. Rooftop pool and jacuzzi are also nice.

Hilton Bentley South Beach is a bit more classy and expensive. Abit farther away at 1st and Ocean, but it's closer to the beach. BTW, does anyone know why they are both named 'Bentley' ?

Yes funny that I'm familiar with both hotels - the Bentley South Beach at Fifth and Ocean was named The Bentley first - the Hilton must have added Bentley to its name recently. Only four blocks away from each other too.

Edited by Matt5

Depends what requirements you have (price, direct beach access, location,..)

I just stayed at South seas Hotel 1751 Collins. Nice Pool, private hammocks and direct Beach Access. Cheap with Wireless, Flat TV, daily water bottles, beach towels and breakfast included. Take a room with pool or beach view. One block from Lincoln Road with shops&restaurants and 5 min from Ocean Drive. Loews is next door but 50% higher price.

I was on the 3rd Fl of the Carlyle for 3 days, 2 nights, about 150 a night and just not enough time there. Our condo was amazing & we will be staying in that condo again for sure! I’m going to try & shoot for October!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tom said:

Depends what requirements you have (price, direct beach access, location,..)

I just stayed at South seas Hotel 1751 Collins. Nice Pool, private hammocks and direct Beach Access. Cheap with Wireless, Flat TV, daily water bottles, beach towels and breakfast included. Take a room with pool or beach view. One block from Lincoln Road with shops&restaurants and 5 min from Ocean Drive. Loews is next door but 50% higher price.

Did you visit any specific or new MV locations? Lots of pictures Tom?

• Like 1

No specific location visits. I drove around a lot and was shocked to see many more locations demolished, e.g. The mortuary in Everybody's in showbiz with chess park nearby on Dade Bvd was mostly demolished as they are extending the MB convention center.

2 minutes ago, Tom said:

No specific location visits. I drove around a lot and was shocked to see many more locations demolished, e.g. The mortuary in Everybody's in showbiz with chess park nearby on Dade Bvd was mostly demolished as they are extending the MB convention center.

Oh that’s a shame that building is going.

20 hours ago, ZAQ 178 said:

I was on the 3rd Fl of the Carlyle for 3 days, 2 nights, about 150 a night and just not enough time there. Our condo was amazing & we will be staying in that condo again for sure! I’m going to try & shoot for October!

Great thanks for sharing again.:)

• 4 years later...

Folks, might be not much time left if you wanna stay at the Mandarin hotel - sadly Swire Properties is not only building on the last green patch of the island but is also redeveloping the hotel which it currently owns 75% of. 

https://therealdeal.com/miami/2023/01/10/swire-plans-two-tower-project-with-supertall-on-brickell-key/

Edited by Paul Veres
  • Like 1