NBC to Remake Rockford

Frey

Okay, huge Rockford fan here. On one hand, I'd like to see the original series (IMO one of the few shows to NEVER air a bad episode) left alone, so as to not tarnish any of it's legacy. But, that said, I can't help but feel excited for this. Since it's near impossible to match James Garner, though, I'm not sure who they could possibly cast that would fit the role perfectly.

I guess what's old is new again. First it was the Miami Vice movie, Knight Rider was redone by NBC, Spenser: For Hire is being redone for TNT next year, and now Rockford. I guess it's easier to remake old favorites than it is to come up with new shows. Especially with how people are buying these tv shows on dvd.

• Administrators
Since it's near impossible to match James Garner' date=' though, I'm not sure who they could possibly cast that would fit the role perfectly.[/quote']Which once again makes me ask...why bother :confused:

Spenser: For Hire is being redone for TNT next year

I didn't know that! I'll definitely catch that. I'm only somewhat familiar with the original series, so maybe they'll do a DVD release (it's not out on DVD, right?)and/or someone will air it in conjunction with the remake.Lar fun fact: I'm a relative (albeit distant) of late Spenser star Robert Urich. Yes, really.

Which once again makes me ask...why bother :confused:

Couldn't agree more there F-man!I can't understand why these Hollywood executive types can't come up with a simple NEW idea on thier own? Was it the drugs they took in highschool or what?I for one am not at all interested in any remakes of any kind.I watched the British series "Life on Mars"recently. Great concept, well written and superbly acted. Then I heard about the American version...not so good? Why ruin something that is already great? No one can play the vunerable Rockford with the comedic attitude of Garner. What would the modern story plots be about? Would they drive a 1973 Firebird too?Give me a break. Please come up with something original and stop copying all the great TV shows of the past.

I think it's great they remake the older shows. It brings them back so this generation sees what we(the older crowd) enjoyed about tv!

I didn't know that! I'll definitely catch that. I'm only somewhat familiar with the original series' date=' so maybe they'll do a DVD release (it's not out on DVD, right?)and/or someone will air it in conjunction with the remake.Lar fun fact: I'm a relative (albeit distant) of late Spenser star Robert Urich. Yes, really.[/quote']I started another thread about the Spenser remake a few weeks ago. No, it's not on dvd yet, so I hope it gets released or re-aired too. That's cool, Lar! :thumbsup:

This is completely stupid. James Garner is so iconic as Jim Rockford. Young fans though, don't know him, and older ones won't watch the new lame show. Make a show like it if you want, but why put the name on it? It's not going to help.

I think it's great they remake the older shows. It brings them back so this generation sees what we(the older crowd) enjoyed about tv!

That is why Blockbuster exists??????? don't you agree?

This is completely stupid. James Garner is so iconic as Jim Rockford. Young fans though' date=' don't know him, and older ones won't watch the new lame show. Make a show like it if you want, but why put the name on it? It's not going to help.[/quote']BRAVO!!! well said indeed!They just need the name to make money.

You know Timm its sad but true!Your probably right and they do it only for the money.Lets have a Streets of San Francisco remake then! Who'll play the sucker eating, trying to quit smoking smart alekey bald guy or who has a nose as big as Carl Malden?Could you imagine "Car 54 Where are you" bring redone today....Car 54, Where are you...never mind I found you on the GPS.end of episode...

• Administrators

That's what I'm afraid they will do with Magnum PI if they do it. It will flop terribly, but they will still make a ton of money off the name. People will go to see it just because of the name.

The remake of Knight Rider is horrible; after 5min. I vowed not to see it again.May be similar to Rockford; but, the remake of Kolchak didn't succeed few years back, now there's a classic show! And I actually liked the remake too, wasn't half bad, but they pulled it after a few episodes. The result; a bad after taste. I say write new material and leave the good old shows alone, doing stupid remakes just tarnishes their image.