John Hughes - Dead!

airtommy

A moment of silence for one of the leading forces behind 80s pop culture, writer/director John Hughes. He died today of a heart attack while out on a walk. His resume is awe-inspiring, rife with critical as well as commercial smash hits. Wiki link

I think he did the Breakfast Club.

He did the quintessential "teen angst" movies like Breakfast Club/Sixteen Candles/Pretty in Pink, but he also did the antidote to teen angst movies - Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Also, National Lampoon's Vacation, Home Alone, etc.

• Administrators

I think he did the Breakfast Club.

Yes he did! and one of my other favorites "Planes,Trains and Automobiles"

That is truly a loss. :cry:Loved his films! Everyone has seen at least one of his films.Ferris Bueller's day off is my personal favorite.

Oh man, I am so bummed.Everyone is dying around me and I still feel fine. All my pop culture icons, Jackson etc. I am so sorry to hear that Hughes is gone as I too loved all of his "Coming of age" films. I loved Sixteen Candles, the comedy was brilliant. and Pretty in Pink...what can I say but Ducky was an iconic character. (love the record store scene) Try a little tenderness...............He captured the 80's in many ways with style in clothes and hair and who could forget Annie Potts mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!! I liked her as a freak and as a normal girl.I haven't seen a director with the vision he had in these modern days. Not a lot of movies appeal to me now but he sure made many classics that stand the test of time.

I consider "Ferris Bueller´s day off" a masterpiece. This is a movie that i never get tired to watch.Thank you John and rest in peace.

He wrote some of the best movie lines of the 80's..."I don't know why they call it hamburger helper, it does just fine on its own."

• Administrators

"I don't know why they call it hamburger helper' date=' it does just fine on its own." [/b']

Thanks, Eddie! :)

Yes he did! and one of my other favorites "Planes' date='Trains and Automobiles"[/quote']I didn't know that! I love that movie!".......Where's your other hand?" "Between two pillows......"".......THOSE AREN'T PILLOWS!!!!!!!!!!!" :D :D I can watch that movie or Ferris thousands of times and not get bored. If I come across either one on tv, I usually watch. Even if it's right in the middle.RIP John. :cry:

"Those aren't pillows!"...I forgot about that one...Rusty having his first beer with Clark in "vacation." Priceless! or Rusty talking about the pissed off bartender and Clark tells him its part of the act.Did he write "The Great Outdoors"? ...The shopowner with the bicycle horn and sign that says,"For quick service, B*#w me!"

• Administrators

My favorite:Eddie: "Bet you could use a cool one ey Clark?"Clard: "Now your talkin Eddie."Eddie: Hands Clark the beer he's been drinking and opens a new one for himself! :D

Yes he did! and one of my other favorites "Planes' date='Trains and Automobiles"[/quote']i love this one too!!! "Where's your other hand?!"

My favorite:Eddie: "Bet you could use a cool one ey Clark?"Clard: "Now your talkin Eddie."Eddie: Hands Clark the beer he's been drinking and opens a new one for himself! :D

"Ever see a set like that on a dog, Clark?""No Eddie, I haven't.""He's got some of that Mississippi leg hound in him, Clark"..."You don't want to be wearing short pants, if you know what I mean." Eddie"Clark, Audrey is frozen from the waste down." EllenClark's favorite comeback,"Its all part of the experience, Ellen."I don't know if John Hughes wrote all these lines, but he gave us the characters that will be remembered by a generation for a long time, like John Candy with the drill in "Uncle Buck."

"Honey I'd like you to meet Del Griffith. He's got some amusing anecdotes for ya. And here's a gun so you can blow your brains out. You'll thank me for it!"

• Administrators

"I'm going steady, and I French kiss.""So, everybody does that.""Yea, but daddy says I'm the best at it.":)

"We passed a goddamn gas station every 100 yards for a thousand miles but when ya really need one you end up walking your ass off!!!

I was sad when i heard this I grew up on a diet of John Huges films like many of you.I introduced my daughter to Pretty in Pink only last week, she thought it was great...although she did chuckle at the fashion!i was also slightly in love with Andrew MacarthyHis family can be proud that he bought so much enjoyment to so many people & perhaps a new generation

"I'm going steady' date=' and I French kiss.""So, everybody does that.""Yea, but daddy says I'm the best at it.":)[/quote']I forgot about that one!They had three different versions,that one,for TV it was my science teacher, and leaving it out completely.Remember Rusty asking his cousin if he has "Asteroids." His cousin said no. "My dad does,sometimes he's on the toilet for an hour."