Is There A Timeout After Logging In?

DanJ

I just responded to a PM that required some extensive typing/composition. When I hit the "send" button I got a warning that I wasn't logged in, didn't have permission to do this, etc.I KNOW I was logged in because we can't read our PM's otherwise. Also, I have encountered one or two posts that required me to log in to view them. What's going on?

• Administrators

Yes there is if you don't check the "Remember Me" box. I think that if you don't there is a 15-20 minute limit if you aren't actively posting or searching the forums. If you are on a long PM, it doesn't seem to recognize that and it then it automatically logs you off.I've had that problem myself at work where I never clicked on the remember me box. I typed a long PM and clicked send and got the same thing. What was worse is the darn PM was lost and I had to retype it! :evil:Also, for some reason some of us will click on a different part of the forum, for me it is the team link, and it will tell me to log in again. Doesn't happen to everyone, but it does do it to me.And just one more thing, some of the threads require you to be logged in to view them!

Timm -I've had the Remember Me box checked (always is), and had the same problem. There is something going on here. I have to make 3 or more clicks into the site before it happens, like when I dig deeper into the Glossary - then I get logged out. But not always.

• Administrators

:confused: Is this all just recently or has it always been like this for you guys?I get logged off when I click on certain places and have to log back in, but that has been going on for me since the beginning.What operating system are you all using and what version browser (IE. Internet Explorer 7)?

Windows Vista Business and IE 7. Can't go to IE 8, as it will cause business software to fail. More frequent occurrences recently.

I've had this problem on another v-bulliten forum I frequent. If you're logged-in and have a long PM or post to type, click on "Preview Post" to refresh it. Otherwise, you might get timed-out and lose the PM or post.

That reminds me of the "Service unavailable" thing at miami-vice.ugh. After losing several long messages that way, I trained myself to do CTRL-A, CTRL-C before submitting a post or PM.

• Administrators

+ 1 on that. I do the same thing ever since I lost my first long PM. Or type in in Word and copy and paste it here.

I've never had any problems, running Windows Vista Business with Safari 4.0. But I never had any problems with Internet Explorer 8 either. The only thing is the site's really slow but that's because our broadband connection speed goes down when we go over our limit.

• Administrators

My speed will vary a little too. Especially if I post or edit very late at night/early morning (a few hours from now). The little hour glass thingy just sits there for a while. I believe that was the time that the server does backups so that it didn't impact "peak times" for the US.Caipi can shed more light on this one though.