Miami Vice: Oft-imitated, NEVER duplicated!

cageyJG

They try...But they can't! Here's a link (bottom) to yet another who borrowed elements... and a lot of stream of conciousness by Cagey. However it IS hard to dis this show because it did come from the greatest decade - gets a pass. Wow, an 80s show that hasn't been discussed here yet? At least I don't think so. Had all that 80s flair... I like how the "S" wipes away and the token girl is going "Shhh..." and fixing her stocking... don't forget the Ray-bans and bad-a$$ car. What happened to Nick Mancuso anyway? Little code numbers going across the screen... chess pieces moving around, but this isn't the F.L.A.G. semi-truck... any ideas??Theme by Mike Post ... instantly recognizable... I know Stephen J. Cannell did almost everthing back in the day, but right now all I can think of is this and maybe Riptide? That probably didn't help you guess...

(should I spoil it for you?) ;) Whoever labeled the video said it was "absolutely cheesy." Oh, o.k., so the 90s and 00s have manufactured "cool." Does that involve me bopping my head to UHN-TSS UHN-TSS UHN-TSS while sipping through a straw. Got it.

"STINGRAY"Yes. I always liked the opening credits and main MIKE POST theme, and always tried to watch the opening credits because I thought it was cool. I watched the pilot episode, but never watched the show. My heart was with MIAMI VICE.

• Administrators

What was he, a secret agent of some kind?What was the show about?Sorry, like I said, I never watched it. The trailer/opening credits looked great and I'd most likely like it today.

Don't know. I don't even recall the pilot. It was so long ago.I seem to think that the pilot had a former VICE actor in it. Perhaps the bad guy?

I just checked. It was GREGORY SIERRA, "LOU" the first LT. on Vice who played the bad guy in STINGRAY!THAT'S why I would have watched the pilot episode! I think he had a cane.

I just checked. It was GREGORY SIERRA' date=' "LOU" the first LT. on Vice who played the bad guy in STINGRAY!THAT'S why I would have watched the pilot episode! I think he had a cane.[/quote']Gotta pat myself on the back for that one! :thumbsup:

• Administrators

I watched occassionally but really have no idea what it was about. It lasted 2 seasons from '85 to '87 but still only 25 episodes total.

Sounds like it has an Equalizer vibe.

Yes, that's a great analogy.I loved Stingray. I remember my friends & I making fun of one aspect of the show: The basis of the show was that he helped people in need. He did it free of charge, but he asked that in return the person owed him a favor. The hitch was that in each episode he used two or more favors while earning only one. The math just didn't work!

I heard the opening credits scene is what it's like when Ferrariman drives to work.I might run out and get the DVDs. I like that this was a more serious seeming action drama.

Dude' date=' you have no idea what it's like to ride to work with me! ;)[/quote']Hide your old ladies and children (and small dogs)!!:eek:Eingefügtes Bild

Yes' date=' that's a great analogy.I loved Stingray. I remember my friends & I making fun of one aspect of the show: The basis of the show was that he helped people in need. He did it free of charge, but he asked that in return the person owed him a favor. The hitch was that in each episode he used two or more favors while earning only one. The math just didn't work![/quote']Fuzzy math?:D

Then you need to check this out for sure!!!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkNzkutTiGs

Whoa-ho-ho!So - I'm watching the Knight Rider trailer on Youtube today and I thought about the "new" Knight Rider, you know, the one with the babes and over the top sci-fi ... I just wasn't buying it. My thought is that Hollywood (or wherever the T.V. establishment is) need to work on more tittilating scripts and not so much the ...Then, I did the unforgivable, I started to think about "Fastlane" from circa 2002. If there's one t.v. show that screams, "Hubris!", and "OMG! LOOK AT ME!!" it was Fastlane. Over $1M per show?! The show that proudly said it was "The next Miami Vice"?! I notice not one single Fastlane thread on this forum, actually I'm glad that I don't have to spend my time tearing apart this -------- of a show. O.k. done.

• Administrators

Fastlane, did that show ever go anywhere? I forgot all about it till you mentioned it. Wasn't it like 20 something eps. before it was cancelled?

Fastlane..................?I remember the title vaguely but cannot remember the car or what the show was even about???????????????????Fill me in.

It took me awhile to remember the title, but I definitely did not forget that this show proudly boasted that critics called it "A modern day Miami Vice." As if it was some kind of replacement, somehow better, more over the top, more edgy. Here's a sample online synopsis: Directed by Chris Long, Paris Barclay, McG, Sanford BookstaverStarring Bill Bellamy, Tiffani-Amber Thiessen, Craig Sheffer, Peter Facinelli, Jennifer SkyClearly inspired by such wall-to-wall action flicks as The Fast and the Furious and XXX, the endearingly mindless TV series Fastlane chronicled the adventures of two tough, hard-driving undercover L.A. cops. Answerable only to their leather-clad superior Billie Chambers (Tiffani-Amber Thiessen), officers Van Ray (Peter Facinelli) and Deaqon Hayes (Bill Bellamy) -- the latter was the brother of the former's murdered partner -- made mincemeat of a variety of nasty urban villains. This the heroes were able to do because they had full access to Billie's "Candy Store," a warehouse full of seized stolen goods, ranging from souped-up cars to state-of-the-art weaponry to hyper-sophisticated computer technology. The series was cocreated by McG, the former music-video director who'd helmed the 2001 theatrical feature Charlie's Angels. Played out larger than life and with tongue firmly in cheek, Fastlane proved to be everyone's favorite "guilty pleasure" when the series debuted on September 18, 2002. ~ Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide I don't want to dissauade anyone who might be interested in looking at the show. People need to make up their own minds, but I have always been vocal since I heard the near-blasphemous M.V. comparison. A few points from this review stand out: 1 "Starring Bill Bellamy." 2: "Endearingly Mindless"3: "Guilty pleasure"Enough from me for now... :cheers:

Only one season was made of about 20 episodes, unsure if all aired. I don't think they stuck to any one car, I just remember a dark blue mustang with silver racing stripes. They also threw a lot of that money around renting exotics...