Does Don Johnson like MV?

sunnyburnett

Does Don like Miami Vice? When ever the show is discussed he is never around. He wasn't involved with the E! true hollywood story or the DVD's. I know there wasn't really any involvment from any of the casts, but that could have been because he refused...maybe? I alwyas wondered why there were no cast interviews on the DVD's or commentary. Anyways....It seems like I can find anyone, but Don on the internet discussing the show. Any ideas?

• Administrators

I think there is a love/hate with this for him.He loves it (even if he doesn't admit it) as this is what launched his career and he might never had made it big time without MV. No denying that.He hates it because he wants to move on as an actor and not be remembered for being Sonny Crockett only but that is what is always brought up in interviews. He wants to be known as a diverse actor capable of playing many parts.

I think there is a love/hate with this for him.He loves it (even if he doesn't admit it) as this is what launched his career and he might never had made it big time without MV. No denying that.He hates it because he wants to move on as an actor and not be remembered for being Sonny Crockett only but that is what is always brought up in interviews. He wants to be known as a diverse actor capable of playing many parts.

I seem to remember somewhere hearing him say he was and is very grateful and proud of MIAMI VICE. But, in order to not be typecast, one has to be diverse, therefore you don't see him talking about ANY character he played anymore, not just Crockett.Trust me, he's very proud of it.

It was really bizzare listening to DJ's commentary in "Wild Card" for Nash Season 2 dvd. He barely mentioned Vice at all. I'm not even sure if he mentioned PMT.

• Administrators
I seem to remember somewhere hearing him say he was and is very grateful and proud of MIAMI VICE. But' date=' in order to not be typecast, one has to be diverse, therefore you don't see him talking about ANY character he played anymore, not just Crockett.Trust me, he's very proud of it.[/quote']I agree with that, but he does seem to get annoyed every time MV is mentioned in almost every interview.It is like a necessary evil.

I agree with that' date=' but he does seem to get annoyed every time MV is mentioned in almost every interview.It is like a necessary evil.[/quote']He gets annoyed because how often do they mention HARLEY DAVIDSON AND THE MARLBORO MAN, or SWEETHEARTS DANCE, DEAD BANG or even NASH BRIDGES. Almost never, because MIAMI VICE is his most memorable character.It would get tireing over the years with interviewers from all corners of the planet talking about the same thing.

Don Johnson has said that he wants to be known for more than Miami Vice, & disassociates himself from Miami Vice. He considers MV as something he's done in the past and wants to leave it there. I think he is wrong, he should do other things....... but still humor die-hard fans like me & keep Miami Vice alive. :D

• 4 weeks later...

He gets annoyed because how often do they mention HARLEY DAVIDSON AND THE MARLBORO MAN

Lol. I bet he's happy not to talk about that one. I agree with what everyone's said. When Vice is mentioned in any interview, Don will be polite and answer the interviewer's questions, but from other things that he's said in interviews I know that he doesn't want to get typecast, and wants to move away from Vice talk. If you can imagine doing something twenty years ago and every time you meet one of your friends they always bring it up in conversation, you'd probably get tired as well.I'm looking forward to seeing him in this new film "Machete" next year. He's appearing alongside Robert De Niro, Steven Seagal, Jessica Alba, Cheech Marin, Lindsay Lohan, and Jeff Fahey, so that should be interesting.Wonder if Jeff will blow up Don's car again? ;)

I think it´s the way it goes for every actor who played a main character in a series. People will always remember that actor in this role. If you ask someone for Telly Savalles, he´ll always rmemeber him as the bald - headed, candy - eating detective he was playing in "Kojak". And so it´s with Don and Philip. Everybody remembers them in their great roles as Sonny and Rico.

Wonder if Jeff will blow up Don's car again? ;)

I think we can rest assured that we will get our fill of things blowing up, fistfights, knifefights, gunfights, and any other kind of fight you can think of. General mayhem, basically :evil: .

• 9 years later...

i think during a period he was really bored, by the fans attitude misleading him with his MV character. but i think he realised that what he thought wasn't a great achievement, playing in a TV series, was actually something great, and cool. i think he accepted finally his (pretty cool) fate