What Were Your 80's? Hits & Misses?

Vicechic84

As we all know the 80's were famous for many things. It was a wonderful era for music, movies/shows (hence MV:cool:), fashion, jewellery, cars, etc. All of which played an important role in its existence and staying power decades later. My question to everybody is 'what were you known for in the 80's'? What I mean is, if you were to look at a photo of yourself (and others) during that time period what would you notice that was significantly synonymous with that decade. For me, it would have to be the 'big hair' (teased/streaked) and definitely large jewellery (cross earrings and rubberband bracelets made famous by Madonna). Tube skirts, black tights and big belts and booties were my clothing of choice back then. I can't tell you how many cans of extra-hold hairspray I went through.:D That was definitely a decade that made a fortune for hair products companies everywhere. My teasing comb was my best friend!:D I know they've got a lot of my own $$!:eek: Also for those that born within the 80's (I know that there are many a member that were born in the mid-late 70's early 80's) what is it that continues to draw you to that time? What makes it so special for you personally? So take a trip back to the 80's and 'Express Yourself' in this thread! Enjoy!:D:D

I was known for my George Michael style bouffon and permanent 2-day stubble - in fact one of my mates at school used to shout 'oi George' any time I passed him in the corridors... What makes it special? Ah... life I suppose - teenage years - enjoying growing-up in slightly less worrying times - yes, life before it all got complicated and we had responsibilities!

I was known for eating, sleeping, dreaming Nik Kershaw... I devoured everything there was about him in the media, in stores, being mocked for being such a HUGE fan... never in a million years believing that I would meet him in '98 and now be on first name terms with him as a friend.

Pinball Pete'sSummer vacation... riding our dirtbikes through subdivisions and cutting through hilly, wooded vacant lots on construction sites on little dirt trails to get to the arcade was an adventure in itself ... 10 cent sodas in a paper cup... hair bands playing... beating two player Double Dragon... steering a wide swath clear from the high school kids over playing pinball on the other side of the arcade...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh the eighties...Big hair for sure, high heels with little frilly laced socks, leg warmers, cheep jewelry??? girls girls girls.............................Definitely "hits"Ah the memories.The "misses" - yes the mrs. I miss her but my aim is getting better!

I was known for eating' date=' sleeping, dreaming Nik Kershaw... I devoured everything there was about him in the media, in stores, being mocked for being such a HUGE fan... never in a million years believing that I would meet him in '98 and now be on first name terms with him as a friend.[/quote']I was killing myself trying to remember his name or his lyrics a few weeks back - heard him playing at the beach somewhere & later I just could only hum a few bars of "Wouldn't it be..." I started to go through my entire 4,000 song VH1 videos chart just to find it and thank bejeebus I remembered!WHOA, you know him? :confused:

I was known for eating' date=' sleeping, dreaming Nik Kershaw... I devoured everything there was about him in the media, in stores, being mocked for being such a HUGE fan... never in a million years believing that I would meet him in '98 and now be on first name terms with him as a friend.[/quote']He was soooo lovely in the 80s, Morgana. You are so lucky. Saw him a few weeks ago on TV here and over the years he has got even more sweet, bless, with his shaved head. His song "The Riddle" is one of the favourites of my older daughter (born '84). She's loved it since she was little [she's always been very deep lol]My memories of the 80s were pastel fashion with or without shoulderpads and with or without large hair, the saxophone sound of Duran Duran (and every other UK band), wondering if the singer of Culture Club was male or female before we knew his name was Boy George (big clue there lmao), and the change of being a single lady into a married woman and a mum. It was one heck of a decade for me personally. I also visited Miami for the first time in '80 :-) That's why MV has always been a favourite of mine as it reminds me of the days before my girls arrived ... and before the tower blocks of Donald Trump arrived!!!Sue x

Wow Morgana, they are amazing pix. He's accomplished a lot since the 80s - he's one of those people you think, I wonder what he's up to ... he's written and played on so many Brit hits since those days. He doesn't know me from Adam but please say hi to him for me & say thanks for the great musicSue X

Great posts everybody! (and still lovin' those pix of Nik Kershaw, Morgana!:thumbsup:) All those memories just make me wish I could go back in a time machine and relive that wonderful decade all over again. Only with the maturity level I have now of course. Indeed 'Wouldn't It Be Good'! (yes I just couldn't resist!;)) Makes you want to tease your hair again doesn't it! LOL:p

I'd kill to have some 80's hits and misses. Alas, I was born in 1986, and yes, a few pics from the very late-80's (but probably more early-90's) exist of me with a mullet. But, that's pretty much the extent of it. Maybe it's for the best. I often wonder if I was born in time to really 'live' the 80's, I'd have more interest in the 60's or 70's or even the 40's, and so on and so on. Being that as it is, my misses really were misses: I missed out on being able to truly appreciate some of the best TV, some of the best music, some of the best, well, everything there was. Which makes what I was able to appreciate (from a child's point of view) all the more special to me. But, for all I don't have, I do have this, circa 1988. I never met Nik Kershaw, (though I'd like to, way to go, Morgana!), but I did 'meet' this fella, the genesis of a bizarre admiration that continues to this day: Eingefügtes Bild

I soooo miss the eighties. I loved the ladies with way too much hairspray-God I miss teased hair, mini-skirts-leather, of course, The music and MTV(it was actually good). I was in my teens all in the eighties, so these are the memories that are best for me considering I have yet to actually grow up. I remember being skinny for no reason, now I have to work my tail off to just stay with a 32" waist. I used to have a closet just packed with all those colorful, pastel clothes and am now playing Hell trying to collect some of this stuff..I just love the 80's clothes and ain't skeered to wear 'em today. I even have a '85 Fiero I tool around in currently...What was that crap you put in your hair back then? Mousse?? Yeah, that was me...Then the late 80's...Yep, Mullett in a pony tail, Crocket style....Thanx Pal,.....It was, like, how much for how much and where and when...Instead of now...Oh, I have one of those jobs where I can't and What!?, How much is that stuff?....Uh, no thanks....Take twice daily for this, once daily for that...How much is my co-pay?..... Mike

• Administrators

Eingefügtes Bild

I remember the Noid! He was the villain in Domino's Pizza adds in the 80'sAlso love the console TV and the stereo rack system!

Also love the console TV and the stereo rack system!

Ah, Fman, a man with the same tastes as I! This pic was actually taken at an uncle's house, but we've had (actually, still have to an extent) similar set-ups. But, not to derail the thread...

So take a trip back to the 80's and 'Express Yourself' in this thread! Enjoy!:D:D

This was definitely one of the things I liked in the 80's, even though i was just a kid. But the "True Blue" album of Madonna's was really nice. I still listen to it on my iPod since I found the cd in a 5$ sale, by mistake. Glad I took it home with me! :radio:I actually grew up with 21 jump street. But somehow, that doesn't seem near as much fun to watch now :sleep:

Great pics all ! Nik Kershaw had some Toons didn't he? My elder sister loved him - had his pic in her scrap book along with the likes of Lamarrh (sp?), Modern Romance, Spandau Ballet, Wham!, and of course DJ... I remember when he first tried to make a serious comeback too in the 90's - was that track called something like 'One Step Ahead'? That was a pretty cool track but sadly I think the timing was all wrong - by the 90's they weren't interested in a tune or rhythm in a single anymore it seemed - there was far more interest in drum and bass and 'noise' for want of a better term. He had a cool ponytail by then too if I recall correctly?

• Administrators

Yep, I'm starting to feel the same way.I think I'm at the start of a midlife crisis! :DWhat was it Martin Riggs said in Lethal Weapon 4 in the locker room to Rodger?"We're not to old for this sh*t!" :cake: