1980's sitcoms that HAVEN'T aged awful?

Lar

Time to vent, just a little bit. It was an awful, awful day at work, and while I'm not going to explain that trainwreck to you, my friends, I am going to bring up a topic that's been on my mind for a little while: What 80's comedies haven't aged like crap?There can't be too many. I absolutely love 1980's TV, but more on the dramatic-series side. Pretty much every sitcom I've seen has been loaded with corny one-liners and syrupy "touching" scenes. Night Court came real, real close to being "alright" by me, and for awhile I genuinely loved it, but rewatching it, I've come to the conclusion that it had two faces: An edgy, genuinely hilarious side, and a typical touch-feely side that, unfortunately, ruins it for me, IMO. And that's one of the better ones.What is the deal with The Cosaby Show? Now, I'll admit the first two seasons were okay, but the rest was so self-indulgent, it was sickening. It was never "hilarious", only amusing at best (and I love Bill Cosby's stand-up). And it got better ratings than Magnum?IMO, there are only two 80's sitcoms I've seen that have aged fine, comedy-wise, and only one "true" one:#1 - Sledge Hammer, which isn't even really a sitcom, per se, but rather a half-hour satire of Hunter and the like. It is brilliant, it is hilarious, but I suppose it's not a sitcom. There's no laugh-track (there was one in early eps, implemented by ABC, but that was never intended by the producers), it's not paced like a sitcom, just like a half-hour Hunter, except way funnier.In the same vein (I guess) is Buffalo Bill, which I hear is brilliant, but I've never seen it, and it's not really a sitcom, either, from what I hear.#2 - Cheers. This may be controversial, as I seem to recall a thread at .org where everyone hated it. I'm not sure why, but we can revist that here. It's okay if you don't like it, but for the life of me, it's the only 80's sitcom I can actually laugh with. In fact, I've been watching it nonstop lately.It's funny, I can watch endless hours of various 80's dramas (which I feel are genuinely good, and infinitely better than the dreck we're served with today), but only a very few select 80's shows.Questions? Comments?

Good call on Cheers...That was the first one that came to mind as I started reading this...So, X2 on that...Can't think of many others right now...I'll have to chew on it for a bit...Mike

• Administrators

Caught an episode of "Cheers" just yesterday and even though I watched it religiously when it was on it just didn't impress me. And I'm talking about an early episode with Diane and Coach. It wasn't so horrible that I would refuse to watch it. It just wasn't as good as I remembered it.My all-time favorite sitcom (perhaps even more than Seinfeld) is still "Taxi" That show has held up even 25 years later.

• Administrators

I always liked Cheers but I haven't seen it since it originally aired so I can't say if my opinion has changed.I watched Night Court but always thought it was just silly.

Caught an episode of "Cheers" just yesterday and even though I watched it religiously when it was on it just didn't impress me. And I'm talking about an early episode with Diane and Coach. It wasn't so horrible that I would refuse to watch it. It just wasn't as good as I remembered it.My all-time favorite sitcom (perhaps even more than Seinfeld) is still "Taxi" That show has held up even 25 years later.
First off' date=' I love Taxi. Just a great, great show, and you just don't see enough of in syndication. I remember staying up and watching it on Nick @ Nite back in the late-90's. Truly a perfect cast. Still, while the majority of it aired in the 80's, I'd consider it more of a 70's series, if for no ther reason than it's, you know, [i']good.As for Cheers, specifically Diane/Coach eps (which I'd guess are considered the best in Cheers' fan circles), I find them good, but I have a hard time fully getting into them as well. I prefer Woody to Coach, and while I'm somewhat indifferent to Diane or Rebecca, the addition of Frasier was a stroke of genius. I love the whole series, but I guess I prefer the Frasier/Woody/Rebecca half of the series.

I watched Night Court but always thought it was just silly.

One of the things that originally appealed to me about NC is that much oif the comedy could be very broad, adult-oriented slapstick (at least as adult as 1980's network TV would allow). It's one of the better 80's sitcoms, IMO, but still doesn't hold up 100%.

I remember a few years back, Nick at Nite had a mini-marathon of Growing Pains. They were the early episodes, when Ben was still considered a cute kid instead of an awkward-looking teen who followed in Mike's footsteps in making fun of their sister. I remember those early episodes had soul, nice humor, a solid vehicle character (Mike Seaver), and plenty else. To me, although it was a late 80's sitcom, it just felt like it aged the best out of any 80's sitcom (even with the numerous Miami Vice references in those early episodes). Of course, by "aged the best", I mean that you can transplant the show into a primetime spot on today's network, and it would still look like it sort-of fits. Three's Company, on the other hand, screams late 70's and early 80's all around. Who cares. It's still hilarious every time I watch an episode - Jack Tripper is one of the all-time slapstick greats. So if by "aged the best", you mean that it was funny back then and it's funny now, then Three's Company works great in this regard. Of course, I wasn't even born when it aired, so I'm going by what I see nowadasy.

By aged the best, I mean it can be viewed today and still hold up humor-wise without making you cringe. That's my definition, though. It is subjective. I've never liked Three's Company (they all seem the same to me), but if it works for you, that's cool.

Well Lar your right about one thing. There were very few sitcoms in the eighties that apealed to me too. like you said they were juvinile jokes and sappy "feel-good scenes to break up the drama.I vote ZERO!I will go back to the seventies to a time when inocence and TV first started to look at real world affairs in comedy etc.WKRP in Cincinnati.What a great show. It was smart, funny and the charachters were ones you could really relate to in real life. I loved this show and still watch it occasionally as I have downloaded the entire series.As for Cosby...I hated that show for some reason. It just rubbed me the wrong way with all its perfect house and perfect family and perfect ...well you know. It wasn't real.If we are going to talk the nineties, then it's gotta be Home Improvement. I love Tim Taylor...and of course Seinfeld and Fraser, which I thought was brilliant!

Well Lar your right about one thing. There were very few sitcoms in the eighties that apealed to me too. like you said they were juvinile jokes and sappy "feel-good scenes to break up the drama.I vote ZERO!I will go back to the seventies to a time when inocence and TV first started to look at real world affairs in comedy etc.WKRP in Cincinnati.What a great show. It was smart' date=' funny and the charachters were ones you could really relate to in real life. I loved this show and still watch it occasionally as I have downloaded the entire series.As for Cosby...I hated that show for some reason. It just rubbed me the wrong way with all its perfect house and perfect family and perfect ...well you know. It wasn't real.If we are going to talk the nineties, then it's gotta be Home Improvement. I love Tim Taylor...and of course Seinfeld and Fraser, which I thought was brilliant![/quote']The 70's beat the 80's for sitcoms, hands-down. All In The Family, Sanford & Son, WKRP, Taxi, M*A*S*H (one of my all-time favorites), The Bob Newhart Show (there's one from the 80's that I remember wasn't too bad, Bob's 2nd series, Newhart), The Odd Couple (Classic!), and others I can't even recall. There was plenty of crap, too, but that comes with any era.The 90's was also a huge step up from the 80's: Seinfeld ("No Hugging, No Learning", ahh...), Frasier, Home Improvement, Spin City, Friends (though I personally hated it), The Drew Carey Show (still holds up today), The Norm Show (why why why was this ever cancelled?!?!), Newsradio, Just Shoot Me, lots of good stuff.How about Roseanne? That started in the 80's. Lots of people love it to this day. Me? I can see how it was groundbreaking, but funny? Not to me.

What was the name of those two permanently at the bar in Cheers? Cliff & the fat guy, Norm was it? I think I vaguely remember one line from years and years ago that still sticks with me...ran something like this... Cliff (showing off his knowledge of some species/animal/dinosaur) "Did you that the pteradactyl was the only dinosaur capable of hatching its own eggs as well as other mothers' eggs?" Norm "Get out of here!" Cliff "Are you questioning my unchallenged supremacy of knowledge on the pre-jurassic prehistoric aeon?" Norm "No...[blank face]... I just want you to Get Out of Here!" Ah well you get my point... the moment was hilarious.

There are very few 80's sitcoms that hold up for me either. I used to love Cosby,Who's the Boss?,Night court, Golden Girls,and Punky Brewster.Out of those, the only one that I can still laugh at is The Golden Girls.Family Ties still holds well too.

You know, I almost asked about Family Ties. I was never familiar with it, but it's generally seen as one of the better sitcoms of the decade, from what I can tell.

I don't think MORK AND MINDY aged well. I watched it as a kid and thought it was funny. Now I don't find it that funny. Robin williams was quick witted and spoken on the show, but I just don't find it funny anymore. Just too silly for me now.I still like Cheers.

While we're on the subject of 80's sitcoms, I saw at Best Buy recently they have My Two Dads on DVD. Is that a freakin' joke?! They won't finish Hill Street Blues, and they refuse to issue The Norm Show on DVD, but My Two Dads is okay? That crap isn't worth the disc it's burnt on.I believe My Two Dads is one of the defining "awful 80's sitcoms". Small Wonder is up (down) there, too. They'll probably be giving Small Wonder the deluxe Blu-Ray treatmen soont, if they haven't all ready;).

For us on the other side of the Atlantic, "Only fools and Horses" was riding high in the 80s. It began in 1981. One of my favourite episodes was "Miami Twice" as the writer, John Sullivan, used a lot of stuff in the script which would be picked up by MV fans (the Mafia son in it was called Rico). Almost every American in the episode has been in MV - Antoni Coroni (plumber in 2nd ep of S1 and other eps); Tom Kouchalakos (Trust Fund Pirates + 3 other eps), Dave Corey (3 eps), Jay Amor (MV stuntman), Mario Sanchez (5 eps), Roberto Escobar (4 eps) ... for anyone who knows "Miami Twice", even the Asian guy who steals their camera in Miami Beach at the beginning has been in MV vice. Thank heavens for imdb.com which as made this search much easier!Sue