Any Odd Words, Funny Sayings Or Obscure Phrases?

Vicechic84

Being that the ws family has a vast array of wonderful members (and growing more daily) that span the entire globe this instantly popped into my head. My question is 'are there any odd words, funny sayings or obscure phrases' (and in any language) that you yourself find would seem strange to someone else who's hearing (or reading as in this case) for the very first time. What inspired this thread is a post that fellow member 'chum981' (thank you for that btw) made pulling one of my quotes in the '20 Questions' trivia. My original post, 'This 'person' is of a male persuasion.' was followed by his reply of which was this, '"of a male persuasion" is a funny saying! Its like someone is being persuaded to be male!':p And so I'm looking for anything that you find to be slightly off, or perhaps has an entirely other meaning than what is thought upon when first heard (or seen as we have here). I'm looking forward to reading what everyone's thoughts (odd words, sayings and obscure phrases) are on this subject!:)

On the tv show MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER, there was a movie called, "TEENAGE STRANGLER".One guy commenting on the title said, "Is that someone who strangles teenagers, or is that a teenager that strangles?" :)

This is hard, diva! I'll try to come up with some. In the meantime:Dictionary For Decoding Women's English:* Yes .......................................... No* No ........................................... Yes* Maybe .................................... No* We need .................................. I want* I am sorry .............................. You'll be sorry* We need to talk ..................... You're in trouble* Sure, go ahead ..................... You better not* Do what you want ................ You will pay for this later* I am not upset ...................... Of course, I am upset, you moron!* You're attentive tonight ...... Is making out all you ever think about?Dictionary For Decoding Men's English:* I am hungry ....................................................... I am hungry* I am sleepy .......................................................... I am sleepy* I am tired ............................................................. I am tired* Nice dress ............................................................. Nice cleavage!* I love you .......................................................... Let's make out now*Let's take a nap.............................................Do you want to make out?* I am bored ................................................ Do you want to make out?* May I have this dance? ........................... I'd like to make out with you.* Can I call you sometime? ......................... I'd like to make out with you.* Do you want to go to a movie? .................. I'd like to make out with you.* Can I take you out to dinner? ................. I'd like to make out with you.* I don't think those shoes go with that outfit .... I'm gay.

LOL Davey!:D It doesn't take much to decode Men's english!:p Thanx again for the enlightening post. See you learn something new everyday on ws!;)I've found this list of gems below on another site that cracked me up! Some I've heard before and some are new. Enjoy!:)1. Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me for the path is narrow. In fact, just f*** off and leave me alone.2. Sex is like air. It's not important unless you aren't getting any.3. No one is listening until you fart.4. Always remember you're unique. Just like everyone else.5. Never test the depth of the water with both feet.6. If you think nobody cares whether you're alive or dead, try missing a couple of mortgage payments.7. Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.8. If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.9. Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.10. If you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.11. If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.12. Some days you are the bug; some days you are the wind screen.13. Don't worry; it's only kinky the first time.14. Good judgement comes from bad experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement.15. A closed mouth gathers no foot.16. Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.17. Generally speaking, you aren't learning much when your lips are moving.18. We are born naked, wet and hungry, and get slapped on our bums . Then things just get worse.19. Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night

Always borrow money from a pessimist. He won't expect it back.Join the army, visit exotic places, meet stange people and kill them. If you want to look young and thin, hang around old fat people.Men kick friendship around like a football and it doesn't break. Women treat it like glass, and it goes to pieces.A optomist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building and after 50 stories says, "So far, so good!"Monday: What a way to waste 1/7th of your life.Bills always travel at twice the speed of checks.We know what the speed of light is. What's the speed of darkness?

Found it!See if you can figure out the popular idioms these phrases correspond to (without cheating on Google!)1. Pulchritude possesses solely cutaneous profundity.2. Compounds of hydrogen and oxygen in the proportion of two to one that are without visible movement invariably tend to flow with profundity.3. A body of persons abiding in a domicile of silica with metallic oxides should not carelessly project small geologic specimens. 4. Members of an avian species or identical plumage congregate. 5. It is fruitless to become lachrymose over precipitately departed lacteal fluid. I can get all of them save number two!

I can think of two funny/obscure sayings that in the end have you at WTF?!!1. It's somebody signature here, Crockett says often "Do we look like we fell of the back of a cabbage truck or what?", why does Crockett seem to think all the dealers are standing around thinking "Boy this dumb smuck really fell of a cabbage truck, didn't he?", why does he pick a cabbage truck for his saying? Who the hell falls of cabbage trucks anyways?2. The famous spout of stupidity from a famus lawyer for a very famous client we ALL know: "If the glove don't fit, you must aquit!" Makes sense? Somewhat, obscure and stupid, most definitely.