Trouble in Florida

Richie Rich

Trouble in Florida - Paradise Lost?http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20090903/us_time/08599191991600

Florida Exodus: Rising Taxes Drive Out Residents. There are many things public officials probably shouldn't do during a severe recession, but no one seems to have told the leaders in Florida. For instance, giving a dozen top aides hefty raises while urging a rise in property taxes, as the mayor of Miami-Dade County recently did. And you wonder why the Sunshine State is experiencing its first net emigration of people since World War II. A few years ago, journalists began predicting that South Florida and its perpetual population-growth machine would soon face the unthinkable: a falling head count. Now it's official. The region - Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties - lost 27,400 residents between 2008 and 2009, while Florida as a whole lost 58,000 (first net outflow in 63 years).

• Administrators

Well if it doesn't stop Richie, I may be next.Between the taxes and insurance and other goodies we are being hit with, Florida is no longer a "cheap" state to live in. Only problem is the pay has not risen with the increases to off set it. :thumbsdown:Good luck registering your vehicles next year. Ouch! They doubled!!!And wait until you have to renew your drivers license, you practically have to give up your first born as id now.

Auto registration - just wrote a check for that one today. The little flyer that the county sent with the bill blamed the FL legislature - saying that the higher rate was because of them. Typical for Florida - you have to pay more, but it's the other guy's fault. We didn't do it.

Just got my registration for Oct. for my 90 toyota here in California.$56 registration fee$24 licence fee$10 county/district feestotal $90Not bad!However, add $50 SMOG checktotal $140.00Not horrible, but it adds up. That's just for ONE of my four vehicles.Times that amount by four.

It was insanity at the County Tax Collectors office on August 31 - last day to get vehicles registered before the big rate increase. Cops had to direct traffic because of the mad dash to get through the door before the close of business on 8/31. I just mailed my check and bit the bullet, as I wasn't about to try to push and claw and bite my way through that line before the 9/1/09 increase. No way. Old people can be ruthless :) .

I heard recently that when the 2010 census is done, Florida is on of a handful of states (Mass, Cali, and New york among others) expected to lose at least one House seat in their congressional delagations due to population decreases.

• Administrators

Well it doesn't take a PHD in economics to know very few jobs and high taxes and insurance = people moving out!