noob saying howdy yall!

kokopelli

You GOT to check out the COOPER&BURNETT SCRAPBOOK SECTION.

just checked it out...:eek: oh...my...goodness. I want to be you when I grow up!I'm a fan, but wow! If I had the money I'd be right there with you. When I was younger I even moved to Florida with the intent of living on a sailboat! I tried to follow in my hero's footsteps- joined the police department, worked plain clothes narcotics for a while; (went through a divorce) and am currently a Detective. Sadly, I have to wear a collared shirt, but no ties thankfully!

Welcome to the board. You sound like you have led an interesting life thus far. Tell us a bit about your life in Florida being a police officer. Did you work in South Florida? Did you have any memorable experiences that were even remotely like something on the show? Maybe your department had a big drug bust or something along those lines?

Well, I actually tried to make a go at it twice; once when I was 18 I went to Clearwater and ended up coming back to Ky, then while later another move to Venice, just south of Sarasota. My wife had family there. My Ex-wife as it were, which prompted my return yet again ~home~ to Kentucky.Anyway, it's here I became 'the 5-0'. -Started out riding a beat in the worst part of town, ended up working narcotics for three years (it's like dog-years), and now a Detective working cases with victims. Been on 17 years now.During the narcotics years there were countless ramming-the-door-in search warrants, some as bad as one of our guys getting shot clearing a stairwell, others as funny as catching the dope dealer on the toilet and everything in between. The funniest were when we were occupying a house after executing a warrant and having the crack-heads walking in looking to score! -This actually happened often. If criminals weren't stupid to begin with, our job would be a lot harder!

• 2 weeks later...
Welcome! :)It is quite a thrill to meet a real police officer here. Have you ever worked undecover' date=' like your (and our) hero, during your narcotics years?[/quote']Yeah, but nowhere near as sexy as MV. More like 'The Shield' stuff- dressed down to buy crack from some idiot on the street or from a known crack house. Oh, and some prostitution stings. (no, I wasn't the prostitute!).A buddy of mine is an ATF agent, and I worked a couple buys with him undercover as the poor felon who couldn't buy a gun the legal way. Those people are really stupid. You tell them 'hey man, I need a gun, but nobody will sell me one 'cuz I'm a convicted felon and my old lady took a protective order on me and I'm wanted on warrants' and they say 'what kind you lookin' for and how much you got to spend?'

• 2 weeks later...
Actually it's Alcohol' date=' Tobacco & Firearms[/quote']Woooops!!!! My Bad!!!! Well, In my defense 2 out 3 isn't bad. And I was soooo proud thinking I had it right. Thank You Ferrariman for clearing that up for me as well as for CheetahMaria D.