UK - Drivers to take blame for cycle crashes

Guest neworder

Guest neworder

Ok, the latest BS from the UK government.Apparently if a car driver has an accident with a cyclist, regardless of if the the cyclist was in the wrong, the car driver is going to get done...I mean, I'm really struggling here ... has our government gone absolutely and completely insane?They claim that they are doing it for environmental benefits, get out of your car or if you crash into a cyclist who was running a red light like they all do, your arrested and put to prison...Cyclists are for the most part dangerous individuals that don't respect car drivers, and have no proper training to be on the road, they run red lights and yet car drivers are going to be punished even if it's not their fault. The only way that this idea could be any good is if cyclists have to do a Driving test to be on the road and have to pay road tax which they don't do currently, but even then it would still be ridiculous.I'm sorry I'm so hacked off with how ridiculously bad a country the UK is.Here's the news story; http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/drivers-to-take-blame-for-cycle-crashes-/243425I'm on the edge at the moment, I really am, this country is ****ed.

I understand your frustration. But it's got to be said, the cyclists in this country aren't well taken care of. If you've ever been to Holland you'll know what I mean. They have their own lanes there, on both sides of the road!Also for a cyclist it's extremly dangerous and frustrating navigating between cars, buses and now motorcyclists. I agree on one thing though, it's BS the way it's done now.For example in my home country it's illegal for a cyclist to drive on the actual road, one has to ride their bike on the pavement/bike lane.Of course it interferes with pedestrians sometimes, but I guess in UK the pedestrians are even more sensitive so.

Guest neworder

Yeah that is a very good point Fresh Prince about cyclists not having enough cycle lanesThis problem wouldn't exist if we had a proper cycle lane system, in fact I'm sure more people would get out of their cars and onto bikes if there was a good system but there isn't. But blaming car drivers for everything isn't the way, cheaper alternative for the government I suppose though.

• Administrators

Wow! That's crazy. Punish some one who wasn't at fault. :eek: He in America we get extra points if we can hit the bicycle and not hospitalize the rider. :p

This doesn't surprise me. Here in the UK we tax and punish those who have more in order to finance and gives breaks to those who have less. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with providing help to those who need it, but all this goverment wants to do is to bring down everyone who wants to make a success of their life and make everyone financially equal. It's called the Soviet Republic of the United Kingdom. I bet if an MP got into a road traffic accident with a cyclist they'd manage to pull some strings and get off with it though.Kinda reminds me of "Animal farm".

We already have a similar law in my country. Cyclists are considered the weak part in traffic so all the blame is on you driving a car. Which results in total anarchy, because cyclists doesn´t have to think what they are doing, and they certainly doesn´t choose a direction before they set off.