If Vice had been an HBO series...

Guest myonlyvice

Guest myonlyvice

What's up y'all,For those of you who are familiar with HBO's original series, like The Sopranos, Big Love, Curb Your Enthusiasm, etc., what would you have thought if Vice had been presented in the same format, meaning much fewer restrictions on language, violence, nudity, etc. Would this have served Vice well or would you still prefer the more innocent presentation of network TV? I guess we could reference the Vice movie of '06 to sort of get an idea how this would feel but it's still not the same as a series. What do y'all think?

Having watched MV the first time around, it was regarded as something so different and edgy compared to what was on mainstream TV then. When you look back to TV in the early 80s, there's no way they would have been able to show the Sopranos-type violence/language etc but I don't think that's a bad thing because Vice still was able to maintain good stories/plotlines and great characters using implied violence. I like Vice as the way it was.

Guest neworder

It's nice to watch a TV show that doesn't have excessive violence or swearing amongst the standard shows of today so I'm pretty happy with Vice as it is ...There are a few bits where a gun shot hole or a bit of blood would be needed to increase realism but on the whole, I don't have any problems on this front!

• Administrators

I like it the way it is but you have to have a good story line first. If that is missing you can not compensate with nudity, swearing, gore, etc.That's why Missing Hours sucks even if it had all the above. Wouldn't help to change a crappy story.Besides, I think too much of that is being done and it takes away from a show instead of adds to it.

Like a fine wine...Miami Vice is good the way it is.Although I respect ground breaking dramas such as Sopranos, Deadwood and others that depict explicit violence and language, I think it was still done perfectly to fit the time it represents.

• Administrators

Silly as it sounds, I recall watching the movie Dead Bang when it came out and I was not used to hearing Don say all the choice words he used.Not that there was anything wrong with it, just not what I was accustomed to from watching him on MV.I'm glad the show is the way it is, but if it was something different, would be be glad the show is the way it was? But if the show was that way, would we...Oh never mind! :rolleyes::)

One thing that strikes me about what would've happened if Miami Vice would have been on HBO instead on NBC is probably wouldn't have lasted as long as it did on NBC, plus the sow just would have had a more sleazier and darker presentation like season five the WHOLE series.Not that I don't mind dark and sleazy, but every once in a while I just love pastels and Elvis the alligator on a sailboat, the series is perfect as it is with each season being unique when compared to each other.

I would have the feeling that Vice would be completely different from what we've come to know and love. I'm sure with the very deep pockets the HBO studio's have this would be a supurb production, yet prolly wouldn't hit you like the original series did. Also, as stated earlier^^^ that since this came from the eighties, filming and production was different now as to then and I also feel that this difference reflects how we now analize the seasons as a discussion, to some small part. NBC did a fabuluos job for going where no show has gone before and an hour long episode actually went somewhere- start to finish, where-as a Sopranos episode seems to drag a little(yet I'll have to admit, the Sopranos is my all-time series favorite). When HBO hits it big, it is big-Sopranos, Sex and the City- yet the have been stiking out(in my eyes) on new series ever since Tony and family ran it's course(I'm still irrked on how it ended..:thumbsdown:...) and I feel they're swinging for the fence. Although Hung was interesting, kinda, it was just missing something. If HBO decided to do something with it, I'm sure there would be lotsa folks on here that would not be pleased...Great Idea and something to ponder, yet I would vote to let it lay where it is and we shall praise what was Vice to us all...My 2¢......Mike

Silly as it sounds' date=' I recall watching the movie Dead Bang when it came out and I was not used to hearing Don say all the choice words he used.Not that there was anything wrong with it, just not what I was accustomed to from watching him on MV.:)[/quote']Funny you mentioned that, as I also found it rather odd that he used some colourful language in that movie as it was really out of his charachter which we are all so used to as MV fans.Watching Nash Bridges is also a riot, as he is a lot more comical in it but still remembering that it was in prime time so no foul language, but the wise cracks are always good!!!If I watch Deadwood for example, I am not offended at all by the language, as it is a part of the artful poetic element of the times, and the shows premice.