Living in Florida

Guest neworder

Guest neworder

Hugely off topic but;any advice on how to move to Florida???Should be graduating university with a BA Geography from Durham next July, what does Florida need in the way of graduates?I'm sick of the UK lol.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but it must be said that for the first time in recent memory there is a net OUTFLOW of people from Florida. Florida is going through its worst recession in a long time. It is one of the 4 states (along with California, Arizona, and Nevada) which contain most of the economic damage from the housing bust, because it was one of the centers of the preceding housing bubble. Nationally, unemployment has skyrocketed to about double the level of the past few decades. There is always room for dynamic and eager people in any economy, so it's not like you can't thrive and be happy in Florida right now. My point is just that you won't find the easy pickings that were available in the past. Also, I'm comparing the FLA economy today with the FLA economy of previous years. How the current FLA economy compares to the British economy is a totally different story and I don't know anything about that.One thing is for sure: the sun still shines year-round in South Florida. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

My area of Florida always needs engineers, and mostly these are young guys, recent graduates, that get hired.I know that is not your major, but there is a high tech element to this area, and engineering graduates find jobs here, often related to defense industry projects. This is a bad area for single guys, as the guys far outnumber the women, and any attractive woman will already have a boyfriend or husband, or have a half dozen guys pursuing her. If you don't look like Brad Pitt, you are screwed basically. To summarize, I would not move here :thumbsdown: .

• Administrators

The only think I am hating about living in Florida (native Floridian) is the darn humidity in the summer. :evil:August and September are just brutal. Right now at my house we are almost into the beginning of November and it is 80* with 78% humidity (RH)! :evil: I have my air conditioner running so I don't melt. :thumbsdown:80* would not be bad if it was 50% humidity. But when it gets up wards of 60-65% RH, everything just sticks to you. :thumbsdown:Other than that, it's a blast!

Guest neworder

lol well Richie Rich if you put it like that, I'm most certainly not moving to Florida if there are not enough ladies. And Timm 525, I hear a lot of stories about brits who move out there based on their 2 week holidays or whatever and then get sick of the humidity and daily thunderstorms quite quickly. Although I love my weather, I wouldn't mind a daily severe thunderstorm everyday but then again they would feel less special if they occur everyday whereas here in UK, the North anyway only gets maybe 1/2 severe thunderstorms a year. And I think I may have solved my lack of palm tree in UK issue; http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs041.snc3/12846_209209420560_529615560_4381282_5592608_n.jpgIs it Miami ... or is it Durham UK??? lolThe coldest month averages; High - 43 and Low - 34 , and those things survive it. That's what my back garden will look like when I get a house I tell you. Maybe I shud stay in the UK, all the ladies and the lack of humidity and I can still have palm trees...

lol well Richie Rich if you put it like that' date=' I'm most certainly not moving to Florida if there are not enough ladies...[/quote']That's east central FL that I refer to in my description. South FL could be totally different - and probably is totally different.I do have a few clients that are Brits - they own homes here but none live here year round.

• 2 weeks later...

I love it here!!! I moved down from Atlanta a few years ago, and the only adjustment I had to make was to the humidity. I'm still having a bit of a struggle with that, from time to time. Where I live now is only 8' above sea level, and Atlanta averages 1000' above sea level, so the humidity is much more variable, and ATL is the center of the south's 'Tornado alley' during storm season, but the temps are about the same from West-central FL. Most of the people I've met, and know are just like folks I knew in ATL. They aren't from here, and it's few and far between when you meet a real native Floridian. A true southern accent is hard to come by, :), as most people are from up North. None of that is any big deal though. Everybody I've met is friendly in a neighborly way.I'm happily married, but when we go out, I'm not seeing a decrease in the single ladies dept here in the Tampa area. Anywhere.Regardless of the economyhere in FL, or in the rest of the world, there are opportunities. You can't expect them to fall in your lap, you must make them happen for you. My wife had a private practice, and I had a bicycle rental shop in Safety Harbor across from a resort. The economy forced their closure early this year, but it has opened other opportunities for us that could ultimately prove better in the long run. They're working better now, than our businesses did last year at this time. IMHO, I think if you were to make the move here, now's the time.Make it happen, do thorough research, and you'll do well.