Tribute to my friend

Sonny_1993

I have been a member of this site for a little while now. I have enjoyed checking out what everyone thinks of every imaginable topic when it comes to MV. Many have told me that my MV fascination is a bit over the top at times. Well I disagree, and for a very good personal reason. I am a Police Officer. I had a partner for many years and we became the best of friends. Over the years, he and his son would spend quite a bit of time with me and my family. If you are not in law enforcement it is very difficult to explain to someone how much trust it takes to put your life in someone elses hands. That is something he and I did on many occasions. In doing so, we became as brothers. One of many things we shared in common was an intrest in MV. Come to find out, as hoky as it may sound, MV is the reason he and I became police officers. He even spent a few years working undercover in Vice. Sadly on October 23, 2008 my friend passed away from Leukemia. As if that was not bad enough, he told no one of his illness. Not his family, me, his long time girlfriend, NO ONE. This has left a tremendous empty space in my life. My wife and family have been great but it is just something I have had a very hard time with. I dealing with his death I have found some comfort in remembering things that we shared and enjoyed together. Like MV. I have collected memorabilia for some time now and have just recieved what he and I were looking for at the time of his death. The little red helicopter on Crockett's desk. Many may find this stupid and juvenile but many deal with loss by drinking and other self destructive behavior, this is my way. Thank you again for this site.

I am also very thankful for this site, even more so at times of loss. I have lost 2 close family members since becoming a member, including the old site, going back to 2005. Sorry to hear of your loss, Sonny.

• Administrators

Sonny, in my 28 years of firefighting i've lost some brothers. Not just the 343 from 9/11 but some very close dear friends from my dept. I know how you feel because same as you, we become very close in our professions. We know who we can trust to go through a door with. Time heals but you never forget them and that's what counts. Sorry for your loss.

I understand what you mean. Loosing a very close friend is as horrible as loosing a family member. Sometimes, one confides thoughts to a very close friend one not even tells the family. If you work with your friend, you often spend more time with him/her than with your family. So, he´ll always be something very special for you and I don´t think that it´s ridiculous to collect things that reminds you of your friend.I lost a very close friend in 1982 because of a cancer shortly before my finals. I visited her in the university hospital in Bonn a few days before she died. She told me that she would observe me during my finals and, if you believe me or not, I knew that she was there. I was very nervous that day, but when I had to go into the room where the commitee was waiting, I felt her close to me. All my nervousness disappeared and I finished as one of the best. After that, I never felt her close to me again, but I often think about her.

I'm very sorry for the loss of your friend & partner, Sonny. :cry:I can understand how the bond between Sonny & Rico can bring back good memories from your police days, together.My son-in-law is a deputy sheriff here in Florida & I try to get him to watch Miami Vice, but he didn't grow up with it and can't see the greatness of the stories. All he really watches is "Cops" To me, that's too much like being at work. I like the drama in Miami Vice, even if it's not real.

How crushing this unexpected news must have been.All I can think of is that he told nobody because he didn't want anyone feeling sorry for him, or he didn't want to burdon anyone.I'm about to loose a family member soon too.I've heard many members here that take comfort in visiting here when times are tough, or they are broken hearted.The little red helicopter is a cop. It's officer big mac.I will always think of your friend, when I see my little red helicopter as a tribute to your friend.Now my little red helicopter is even MORE special. -COOP

Sonny, I know the pain that you are still experiencing at having lost not just your best friend, but your brother in heart as well. I read this thread this morning and was so sad, that I could not bring myself to write anything. I too lost 3 family members in a row, within months of each other. My 2 older cousins to Cancer, and my Father. And it is still a loss that I feel I haven't fully recovered from. Nor do I think I ever will.But I believe strongly in our loved ones showing us that they are still with us in spirit. And your receiving the little red helicopter that the both of you searched for, was your friends way of letting you know that he is & always will be with you, and that he is okay.My thoughts are with you & with your friend.

Sorry to hear that. When a close friend dies we feel lost, a part of our life seems to come to an end, but he’ll always be with you, in your heart and thoughts, in the affection you’ll always feel for him. Maybe he decided not to tell you anything because he didn’t want you to suffer, knowing that there was a little time left for him. He already knew how much you would have suffered for his death that he didn’t want to add another burden. When my grandad was ill, he didn’t even tell me that the situation was serious and he was about to die because he didn’t want to see me cry. I got mad when he died and I couldn’t even hold his hand for the last time, but after a short time I realized that he did that for me, it was a sign of love. He wanted to be remembered for the happy moments he gave to me, not for his last days.

Thank you everyoneI wanted to thank you all for your kind words. I guess as the first anniversary of his death is fast aproaching, this is getting harder again. Christine said something that has rang very true for me when she talked about her friend "being with her" after their passing. After my friend died, I did something I had never done, I started writing. I used our mutual intrest in MV to write a screenplay for a sequel to the movie. Now Im not a writer, Im a cop. But as I wrote this, I could actually feel him sitting across my desk throwing ideas at me. It was calming in a way. Like it was one more thing, one last thing we could do together. After finishing it, I was very proud of the work "We" had done. Some of you may have seen the link I posted to it on this site before. The little red helicopter has a special place in my collection. It sits by a photo of the two of us on my desk at work.Thank you for sharing the losses you have had with me and everyone here. Maybe what everyone says is true that you need to talk about your pain to start to get past it. I guess that on some level I dont want to get past it. Like I would be losing something or betraying him if I didnt miss him. Hard to put into words.

My friend, M.C. Osso, died from bone cancer, Sept 22 1998, he was 51 ...and I always think of him because he taught me how to put backgrounds on floppy discs to perform my music. I also picked up some of his style even though he was more Rock & I was Jazz. He was the best solo entertainer & song writer I've ever seen...and still is! Guys in their 20's would say, "M.C. is better than a 5 piece band!"I still use a couple of his guitar riffs & one liner jokes when I play & sometimes feel he is guiding me in my performance. He was my Brother in Arms!

Maybe what everyone says is true that you need to talk about your pain to start to get past it. I guess that on some level I dont want to get past it. Like I would be losing something or betraying him if I didnt miss him. Hard to put into words.

Anniversaries are the worst times, Sonny, and my thoughts will be with you. My dad passed with lung cancer four years ago.I shared a love of history with my dad so when in Miami I just knew he would love the art deco & the 1930s story behind it. I had that "I must tell dad about this" moment on a few occasions ... as sad as it is, I am grateful for the times and conversations we had together over the years & our close relationship. My mum, my daughters and I try to get through the anniversaries by celebrating his life - it wasn't easy at the start because, as you say, you feel you're betraying their memory. You're right, it is hard to put into words!My dad may be gone but (like your friend), he will never be forgotten.Sue x