The Future Of Jimbo's?

DanJ

Jimbo's is a location of interest to Miami Vice fans, as well as Burn Notice fans and anyone interested in Miami filming locations. This gem of a secluded spot on Virginia Key is now suffering some meddling from the City Of Miami. Read on:Jimbo's Ordered To Clean UpHope I'm wrong, but I can't help but sense developers are not far behind...

Interesting article and video. I've driven through there once, but I need to go back and visit it for real before it's gone.Good to see you around, DanJ!

Dan, as you know from when you and I were there 2 months ago, I was grossed out by all the rotting garbage strewn about, and no evidence of any efforts to clean it up. It was only a matter of time before they received a "clean-up order".

I was there last year (see my photos in the travel section).It was quite decaying. The trees were overgrown and obscuring the shacks.It looked a bit different to how it looked on Vice.But the pier on the waterway was gorgeous

From '07 to '09 the amount of garbage strewn about their property had doubled. I think they believed that the county / city whoever would not take any action against them, but as they found out ...

Jimbo's has lasted a lot longer than I expected. It did look worse in June. It might not save the place in the long run but it wouldn't do any harm to clean it up a little. If anyone hears about a "Save Jimbo's Group" please post it.

Sad - that place looks like the writing is on the wall , a real shame . Pity when you read that the still photographers and movies don't go to Jimbos to film for quick a while, but saying that Miami itself isnt attracting many big screen movies etc these days. Particularly with all the tax free incentives in Canada.:)

• 2 years later...

Thanks for the update Jim. I have to say, I take offense to the authors (Gus Garcia-Roberts) use of the words "bizarre" and "weirdest" when describing Jimbo's. I think if he clearly understood and appreciated the history of Miami he would have wrote something entirely different. JMO

Thanks for the update Jim. I have to say' date=' I take offense to the authors (Gus Garcia-Roberts) use of the words "bizarre" and "weirdest" when describing Jimbo's. I think if he clearly understood and appreciated the history of Miami he would have wrote something entirely different. JMO[/quote']Absolutely correct. Ignorance about Miami's history is endemic among journalists and locals. They think the pioneers were 20th Century hotel builders.

Thanks for the update Jim. I have to say' date=' I take offense to the authors (Gus Garcia-Roberts) use of the words "bizarre" and "weirdest" when describing Jimbo's. I think if he clearly understood and appreciated the history of Miami he would have wrote something entirely different. JMO[/quote']Very sad news indeed. I would love to take the site over and clean it up just a bit leaving the buildings and look as it has been. The city would be smart to keep it as is because it is a huge draw for filming both television shows and movies which brings in the dollars. As for the author, he does not try to hide that he is a bigot so his comments are not surprising.

Very sad - Jimbo's gone:thumbsdown:I visited last year and was practically closed:evil: but still got to see all locations and the "World of Trouble" / "Line of Fire" pier

• 7 months later...

will the site be used as a parking lot for the water treatment plant ?

Good documentary about Jimbos. C Glide's facebook page has a nice collection of photos in one of his albums. If you are signed on to FB its at https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.400531860017139.88858.100001809847319&type=1&notif_t=photo_album_replyNo thank God it is not that close to the water treatment plant. The Miami Herald wrote in March that the city will most likely integrate it into Virginia Key’s public beach and park. They should at least erect a plaque there but it would probably have to be paid for by private funds.

Good documentary about Jimbos. C Glide's facebook page has a nice collection of photos in one of his albums. If you are signed on to FB its at https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.400531860017139.88858.100001809847319&type=1&notif_t=photo_album_replyNo thank God it is not that close to the water treatment plant. The Miami Herald wrote in March that the city will most likely integrate it into Virginia Key’s public beach and park. They should at least erect a plaque there but it would probably have to be paid for by private funds.

Thanks Jim - but the shacks will be torn down if they havent already and the little pier shown in so many Mv episodes as well probrably -a damn shame - Jimbo's is gone.:thumbsdown: