Evil banker and ep?

cageyJG

As a long time vicer, I should know this, but I don't have the encyclopedaeic memory I used to.1. Which episode is this? Crockett and Tubbs fight their way to the top of an organized crime ring that believe it or not, is fed by a feeble white collar guy at the top of a bank in a shining Miami skyscraper. The guy looks like the cryptkeeper and while drinking a glass of water, very plaintively tells them their bank histories down to the penny. "Crockett, you have exactly $803.41 in savings." And then he says if C&T take him down, another one will pop up to replace him.2. Is that more or less what he said?3. What do you think the epilogue was? The scene just ended abruptly and left it to our imaginations. 4. Finally - was there any symbolism implied in the water? I'm trying to use this episode as an analogy with a friend, but am wondering if the specifics above will make it worth it or not!

It's the season 2 season opener, Prodigal son.Eingefügtes BildThe "banker" used the water symbol to make sense of things.It was taking place in a Wall Street building in New York. "Money is a commodity, like oil or water. And that American dollar, is the best brand there is in the world. Now those of us who have it, can make more of it, by lending it to those that don't. Not so long ago, our bank loaned a lot of money to our friends in latin America. Were talking about hundreds of millions of dollars. Now they aren't going to repay that by selling straw bags and clay pots. If these latin borrowers default, we would be decimated. And we, our America, we are the entire free world. When we sneeze, everyone catches cold. That is why, it's very, very important, that we nurture and protect our latin brothers cash crops.""All you need to know is that your just along for the ride. It's a big boat....why rock it?"Crockett - I don't give a damn if it's the USS ENTERPRISE, or who's on it or why. Our job is to rock it. And if it sinks....so what?"I doubt that's going to happen."What does it all mean? In this case, BIG MONEY is behind this, and they will even run interferance to make CERTAIN that the cocaine sells so they can get thier money back. That bank is powerful and doing things behind the scenes.

Phew! All right, time to commence my "research." Is there any situation in human affairs that can't be better explained when compared to a Miami Vice episode? Do you ever do that? C&B to the rescue! Thanks for replying quick because I'm on a roll!

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/COOPER%20AND%20BURNETT/WALL.jpgThe "banker" used the water symbol to make sense of things.It was taking place in a Wall Street building in New York. "Money is a commodity, like oil or water. And that American dollar, is the best brand there is in the world. Now those of us who have it, can make more of it, by lending it to those that don't. Not so long ago, our bank loaned a lot of money to our friends in latin America. Were talking about hundreds of millions of dollars. Now they aren't going to repay that by selling straw bags and clay pots. If these latin borrowers default, we would be decimated. And we, our America, we are the entire free world. When we sneeze, everyone catches cold. That is why, it's very, very important, that we nurture and protect our latin brothers cash crops.""All you need to know is that your just along for the ride. It's a big boat....why rock it?"Crockett - I don't give a damn if it's the USS ENTERPRISE, or who's on it or why. Our job is to rock it. And if it sinks....so what?"I doubt that's going to happen."What does it all mean? In this case, BIG MONEY is behind this, and they will even run interferance to make CERTAIN that the cocaine sells so they can get thier money back. That bank is powerful and doing things behind the scenes.

MIAMI VICE explains everything, and puts everything in perspective!

C&B, that is OUTSTANDING!!! A+++ for your answer. That scene, the banker's cold rationale for the symbiosis of money and crime was so creepy. There were C&T laid bare, reduced into the sums of their bank accounts - powerless and disposable. It was such a stark revelation. Walking out, Crockett, ever-stoic, served the cryptkeeper a nice glass of...Jan Hammer's music was also very well done from what I remember. Those long synth notes - would start out on C, descend an octave to low C for four beats, repeat once and then followed by G... Also toward the end "Tubbs & Valerie" and "Candy's Theme!" You can't separate the music from the mood. 9/10!!! Back to my friend - he illustrated the economic wave we rode in the 80s through to the fall today - for some reason this episode came to mind and I had to test whether I compare Prodigal Son...He states "They've (democrats & republicans) known that American consumerism is what has fueled the world economy. Americans buying cheap foreign goods was supposed to make others rich. What they didn't calculate was as US jobs went overseas squeezing the american middle class, our consumerism suffered and adversely affected world trade. You aint got no job, you don't buy flat screen t.v.'s. Politicians have been aware of our shrinking economy and aware that entitlements to seniors and others are becoming a larger part of our budget. That means less money, a smaller piece of the pie for DoD. " The rest of the e-mail wasn't pretty either. Thanks again...

I always found this one of the most powerfull scenes from MVIt says so much about the world and those who pull the stringsI remember when I saw this scene when I was younger I genuine got scared.:o

• Administrators

Here is a link to a thread that was started similar to this last year.I think there is some relevance here so it is worth re-reading.Here is my reply from last year:

billion (*ahem*) for the bailout.Any-hows, when it comes to drugs and wanting money, I think that most drug dealers want US currency more than other countrie's money.Here's a clue. Isn't it ironic that Saddam Hussein, who despised the West (AKA US), was captured with 3/4 of a million dollars in US money in his "spider hole" he was found in? Why didn't he have 3/4 of a million dollars, or what ever he called it, in his money? You know, the ones he printed with his smiling face on it. Answer is, who the hell would accept his money as having any value? The only value his money would have had is if he had a bad case of diarrhea! US money is probably the most widely accepted form of currency in the world. I know some will probably argue that statement and you *may* be correct today. It is/was valuable because of it's backing which in now nothing more then our government's word it's good.I think Mr. Johnston said it best in “Prodigal Son” (how relevant to the topic): “Money is a commodity like oil or water. And that American dollar is the best brand there is in the world. Now those of us who have it…can make more of it…by loaning it to those who don’t. Not so long ago…our bank…loaned a lot of money to our friends in Latin America. We are talking about hundreds of millions of dollars. Now, they aren’t going to repay that…by selling straw bags and clay pots. If these Latin borrowers default…we would be decimated. And we are America. We are the entire free world. When we sneeze…everybody catches a cold. That’s why…it’s very, very important…that we nurture and protect…our Latin brother’s major cash crops.”Bottom line, US currency is what most drug dealers would seek which is why the ep. was titled “Yankee Dollar”.Just my two cents worth here.PS: Please don’t ask any more of these deep seeded philosophical questions. My little brain is fried thinking about all of this. :)

Everything comes down to the ol mighty dollar!Click ---> here