What happened to the original MV colors?

ivoryjones

On 7/22/2020 at 12:43 AM, airtommy said:

Fantastic discussion.  Thanks so much @Wayfarers4ever  for putting together that collage of logos.  I had no idea they were changing the logo so often.

My pleasure! Trust me, I did it for myself just as much as for anyone else. As a professional photographer and all around color nerd, I find this stuff endlessly fascinating.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wayfarers4ever said:

My pleasure! Trust me, I did it for myself just as much as for anyone else. As a professional photographer and all around color nerd, I find this stuff endlessly fascinating.

@airtommy This issue was addressed on @C Glide’s site also. 

For example: 

http://www.miamivicelocations.org/page73.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have my TV at standard vibrancy, no change in tint/hue. I was watching “Rising Sun of Death” lately on my Universal DVD and the logo seems very, very blue there! I wasn’t paying much attention to other intros for color but check out this! I know @ivoryjones has done much work taking screen captures, but I thought this was strange!

Perhaps something is wonky with my TV... (this is just a photo of my TV screen, so it may be slightly more saturated)

703359C3-E302-4222-8A18-6315B51D069E.jpeg

Edited by AndrewRemington

9 hours ago, AndrewRemington said:

I have my TV at standard vibrancy, no change in tint/hue. I was watching “Rising Sun of Death” lately on my Universal DVD and the logo seems very, very blue there! I wasn’t paying much attention to other intros for color but check out this! I know @ivoryjones has done much work taking screen captures, but I thought this was strange!

Perhaps something is wonky with my TV... (this is just a photo of my TV screen, so it may be slightly more saturated)

703359C3-E302-4222-8A18-6315B51D069E.jpeg

Interesting...I don’t remember my Universal DVD having that logo with that episode, but it’s been several years since I watched those DVDs? I’ll have to check that out again, soon. But, ivoryjones would probably know for sure. ;)

• 1 year later...

Time to dredge up this old topic again...

So I was watching some old Youtube stuff and it recommended this 1989 Entertainment Tonight clip on MV's finale airing 

As you can see the colors and contrast of the ET set are perfectly fine

589154863_1989TV-EntertainmentTonightMiamiVice.thumb.jpg.1fdb755f648548b43f06489d2e2da528.jpg

Which leads me to believe that the clips they showed of MV probably show the original broadcast colors rather accurately

1913812691_MediaMiamiVice816FinaleET.thumb.jpg.24427e65affb61bf6114d42ccb742a11.jpg

1459690857_MediaMiamiVice817.thumb.jpg.3fc61358ae2a18342d683386ed3cf946.jpg

1188734857_MediaMiamiVice818.thumb.jpg.3e9d2cce386c618867865995f745eb60.jpg

226792699_MediaMiamiVice819.thumb.jpg.adab76ed01d6874a81d933663d545428.jpg

1878283897_MediaMiamiVice820.thumb.jpg.68cc11e695efde75fbda70be5d98aa33.jpg

I mean... those blues look fabulous, and these colors definitely ain't what's on the DVD/streaming versions ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Wayfarers4ever said:

Time to dredge up this old topic again...

So I was watching some old Youtube stuff and it recommended this 1989 Entertainment Tonight clip on MV's finale airing 

As you can see the colors and contrast of the ET set are perfectly fine

589154863_1989TV-EntertainmentTonightMiamiVice.thumb.jpg.1fdb755f648548b43f06489d2e2da528.jpg

Which leads me to believe that the clips they showed of MV probably show the original broadcast colors rather accurately

1913812691_MediaMiamiVice816FinaleET.thumb.jpg.24427e65affb61bf6114d42ccb742a11.jpg

1459690857_MediaMiamiVice817.thumb.jpg.3fc61358ae2a18342d683386ed3cf946.jpg

1188734857_MediaMiamiVice818.thumb.jpg.3e9d2cce386c618867865995f745eb60.jpg

226792699_MediaMiamiVice819.thumb.jpg.adab76ed01d6874a81d933663d545428.jpg

1878283897_MediaMiamiVice820.thumb.jpg.68cc11e695efde75fbda70be5d98aa33.jpg

I mean... those blues look fabulous, and these colors definitely ain't what's on the DVD/streaming versions ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

You are correct...sadly a lot of the original, “real” MV colors have been altered, changed, or even done away with & something else created. A lot of this has been done with trying to ‘digitally remaster’ everything to look as good as possible. The idea in theory is cool...but in reality sometimes this ultimately has the opposite effect. 

Somewhere along the line, colors, lighting in some scenes, and even the logo-colors were changed. The ugly (what I call the “fake”) purple & green logo for Seasons 3-5 for syndicated reruns, and on the home video sets was never in the original run of the show! All seasons originally had the MV teal & pink logo. The water around the logo during the opening originally was also very blue...but, the reruns, home video sets, and subsequently the streaming episodes all have this ugly dark-gray/greenish looking water. 

Sadly, unless you somehow still have original NBC airings recorded...none of the real, original colors can truly be enjoyed again (although the Universal DVDs & the Mill Creek Blu-ray set are probably as close as you can get). 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Here is the intro from the original airing of “Phil The Shil” from December 1985. Notice the “In Stereo” logo at the bottom.  
The logo is definitely different to the DVD version. Very light pink with heavy teal. Real shame these intros didn’t transfer over to DVDs/BluRays.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Miami Beau said:

Here is the intro from the original airing of “Phil The Shil” from December 1985. Notice the “In Stereo” logo at the bottom.  
The logo is definitely different to the DVD version. Very light pink with heavy teal. Real shame these intros didn’t transfer over to DVDs/BluRays.

Yeah, for some unknown reason the syndicated reruns took the original  teal & pink (what I call the “real”) show logo for Seasons 3-5 out, and some ugly (what I call “fake”) purple & green thing was put in, instead (which was never used in the show’s original run!)?? ?( The in-stereo thing was on a lot of show logos at the time...an option you could utilize if you had a TV with stereo-sound. I miss those days! 

The ocean (around the logo) in the starting was originally more blue, too...but for the reruns & home video sets, the water is now this grayish-dark greenish color that looks like polluted water or toxic waste. :wuerg:

Other colors & lighting in certain scenes, as well as scenes themselves, appeared to be altered some too. Sadly, these versions are the ones all the home video DVD & Blu-ray sets have used. So, regardless of all the ‘digitalizing’, unless somehow you recorded original NBC airings back-when, or know someone who did...the original, true colors & logos, as well as full/unedited/complete episodes, can never be enjoyed again. ;( 

Edited by ViceFanMan

3 hours ago, Miami Beau said:

I'm only getting audio in your link, no video.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, airtommy said:

I'm only getting audio in your link, no video.

You have to click the 3 dots on the right and download the mp4 file.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

@ViceFanManI should have asked this a while back, on the the blu ray intro during the pilot it start's much differently to the DVD version. On the blu ray we see a young Jewish couple holding a baby and the cast titles now include names Belinda Montgomery for example and others not seen on the DVD. 

Was it originally like that?

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

@ViceFanManI should have asked this a while back, on the the blu ray intro during the pilot it start's much differently to the DVD version. On the blu ray we see a young Jewish couple holding a baby and the cast titles now include names Belinda Montgomery for example and others not seen on the DVD. 

Was it originally like that?

From what I can tell, the Universal DVD set used the split, or 2-part, syndicated version (aka edited or cut) for the Pilot...now called “Brother’s Keeper” Pts. 1&2. The Mill Creek Blu-ray set took those 2-parts and basically put them back together as one 2hr. length TV movie—as close to how the Pilot originally aired as you can probably find :thumbsup: (as the Pilot TV movie originally just aired as Miami Vice...the Brother’s Keeper title was created later when it was split into 2 parts for syndication). 

As for the Jewish couple holding the baby...in all honesty I don’t specifically remember that part, lol? But, yes, Belinda Montgomery was included in the opening cast titles for the original Pilot. I’ll have to watch my original 1984 airing of the Pilot again soon, and look for the Jewish couple & their baby. :D

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

From what I can tell, the Universal DVD set used the split, or 2-part, syndicated version (aka edited or cut) for the Pilot...now called “Brother’s Keeper” Pts. 1&2. The Mill Creek Blu-ray set took those 2-parts and basically put them back together as one 2hr. length TV movie—as close to how the Pilot originally aired as you can probably find :thumbsup: (as the Pilot TV movie originally just aired as Miami Vice...the Brother’s Keeper title was created later when it was split into 2 parts for syndication). 

As for the Jewish couple holding the baby...in all honesty I don’t specifically remember that part, lol? But, yes, Belinda Montgomery was included in the opening cast titles for the original Pilot. I’ll have to watch my original 1984 airing of the Pilot again soon, and look for the Jewish couple & their baby. :D

But the DVD pilot in the opening credit's, Belinda Montgomery is not added, Miguel Pinero or Bill  Smitrovich.

I was shocked the first time a saw the pilot intro on Blu Ray, there are so many new things added. 

The Jewish couple seen here is not on DVD. 

Untitled.png.e67e91aaf90eb22abb9f762ee358e6cb.png

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, RedDragon86 said:

But the DVD pilot in the opening credit's, Belinda Montgomery is not added, Miguel Pinero or Bill  Smitrovich.

I was shocked the first time a saw the pilot intro on Blu Ray, there are so many new thing added. 

Oh, ok...now that I see the scene, I do kind of remember it. The split-syndicated parts of the Pilot probably edited quite a bit from the original format, and cut parts out (including the Jewish couple). Other guest-cast names may have then been added in the end credits, instead of during the opening. 

The Mill Creek Blu-ray set did a very good job trying to “restore” the Pilot to how it originally was & was aired. It makes me wonder where they got the original footage & opening credits to re-add in, if all the original NBC airings were supposedly destroyed in the Universal fire several years ago?? :funky:

• Thanks 1

I dont know If im off Topic but i watched time ago a pilot from a videolaser, and its film grainy, Very diferent vídeo texture from dvds...

1 hour ago, Mr. Calderon said:

I dont know If im off Topic but i watched time ago a pilot from a videolaser, and its film grainy, Very diferent vídeo texture from dvds...

This was on an old laserdisc?

On 1/5/2022 at 1:27 PM, RedDragon86 said:

I was shocked the first time a saw the pilot intro on Blu Ray, there are so many new things added. 

@RedDragon86Okay, I had the time today and checked back into the differences of the Pilot opening. I’ll be honest and say it has been several years since I have watched my original Universal DVD set of Season 1 (by the way, I don’t care what some people say, the digital remastering of those episodes on that set is still pretty awesome!) I compared it to my original 1984 NBC airing of the Pilot. Anyway, I discovered that I was actually incorrect! 

The original Universal DVD set of Season 1 from 2005, does include the Pilot in its original 2hr format...and it includes all the guest cast in the opening credits (such as Belinda Montgomery, Bill Smitrovich, Miguel Pinero, Martin Ferrero, etc...), and the Jewish couple holding their baby is included as well! 

I thought I had remembered that the Universal DVD set had used the split, or 2-part (a.k.a. edited/“Brother’s Keeper” version) of the Pilot. But, I guess I was wrong, and it also did a very good job of trying to restore the Pilot to its original format, and how it originally aired. :thumbsup: 

So, I’m not sure what DVD set you were originally referring to, but the one I have has the Pilot with everything included. 

• Like 2

Look Vice guys & gals, it's been a tough day, but I got THIS at Wal-mart for 25 buckarooskis!!!! Yeh Vice (I also picked up the complete She-Ra for my co-worker Kimika)! I don't know if this is the best version of the set, but I've been looking for a nifty-priced Vice since 2013 (had A LOT of life nonsense happen in the interim), but not bad, right?

0107221626-00.jpg

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

Look Vice guys & gals, it's been a tough day, but I got THIS at Wal-mart for 25 buckarooskis!!!! Yeh Vice (I also picked up the complete She-Ra for my co-worker Kimika)! I don't know if this is the best version of the set, but I've been looking for a nifty-priced Vice since 2013 (had A LOT of life nonsense happen in the interim), but not bad, right?

0107221626-00.jpg

Yeah, I saw that yesterday in my town’s Walmart...it’s the Mill Creek Complete Series DVD set. Awesome price! :thumbsup: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

Yeah, I saw that yesterday in my town’s Walmart...it’s the Mill Creek Complete Series DVD set. Awesome price! :thumbsup: 

That She-Ra for Kimika was 40$; good timing too, since her brother Leo (he works at the hotel...well, worked) sadly has had a stroke (part of the tough day). My work night will be dedicated to "our" Leo; he's an awesome guy=), and hoping for improvement.

• Like 2

Seriously... pony up for the Blu-Ray. The DVDs were great when they were my only option... but the Blu-Ray may be the ONLY item you need in your Blu-Ray collection (in addition to a player, that is... haha...) They drop me back into Miami 1985 with eye-expanding clarity. (Helps that I sit very close to the big-screen TV too... haha...)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Titus said:

Seriously... pony up for the Blu-Ray. The DVDs were great when they were my only option... but the Blu-Ray may be the ONLY item you need in your Blu-Ray collection (in addition to a player, that is... haha...) They drop me back into Miami 1985 with eye-expanding clarity. (Helps that I sit very close to the big-screen TV too... haha...)

Yeah, the Mill Creek Blu-ray set is pretty awesome...I have it, too. It did digitally improve some on a few places the Universal DVD season sets had not restored (such as a couple places during the opening theme)—as well as still preserving the original color-scheme! :clap:

I’m assuming the Mill Creek DVD set would be more or less the same quality as their Blu-rays (although supposedly Blu-rays are supposed to be better than even HD-DVDs). However, the Universal DVD sets are still pretty good digitally remastered copies...they’re not garbage, by any means! :thumbsup:

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Titus said:

Hey Titus, I agree pal. If you’re someone like me that watches the show on a very frequent basis then a Miami Vice Blu-Ray boxset upgrade is is definitely recommended. I still keep the old universal DVDs around just as a backup. Since purchasing the Koch Media boxset upon its release in October 2020, I can say it was absolutely a great investment. I believe at the time, Koch media were not selling it to the United Stated market due to not having any US distribution rights though not sure if that’s changed. But yeah, if you’re someone who watches the show sporadically, then maybe don’t upgrade. But if you’re watching the show daily, then get the upgrade. 

Improved resolution better than the DVDs, sound is very good and the colours pop. All round great upgrade. 
58848516-5A8D-4B64-BC85-79AA77A77E09.thumb.jpeg.8ee7364f033622398a2c90d93b1b9b3d.jpeg

I’ve not checked out the Mill Creek version as it’s a US only release and I don’t own a American Blu-Ray player. Either way, whatever you go for, Blu-ray is a good long term investment.

Edited by Miami Beau
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Miami Beau said:

Hey Titus, I agree pal. If you’re someone like me that watches the show on a very frequent basis then a Miami Vice Blu-Ray boxset upgrade is is definitely recommended. I still keep the old universal DVDs around just as a backup. Since purchasing the Koch Media boxset upon its release in October 2020, I can say it was absolutely a great investment. I believe at the time, Koch media were not selling it to the United Stated market due to not having any US distribution rights though not sure if that’s changed. But yeah, if you’re someone who watches the show sporadically, then maybe don’t upgrade. But if you’re watching the show daily, then get the upgrade. 

Improved resolution better than the DVDs, sound is very good and the colours pop. All round great upgrade. 
58848516-5A8D-4B64-BC85-79AA77A77E09.thumb.jpeg.8ee7364f033622398a2c90d93b1b9b3d.jpeg

I’ve not checked out the Mill Creek version as it’s a US only release and I don’t own a American Blu-Ray player. Either way, whatever you go for, Blu-ray is a good long term investment.

If you wanna get those car wheels back to being circles, not ovals;

On 6/1/2021 at 6:23 PM, bodie said:

Check your aspect ratio on your screen, it should be set to 16:9. And check your player is set to output discs at their original resolution; all the Miami Vice Blu-rays are 16:9 with black bars either side and the 4:3 image in the middle. So you want black bars either side, full picture visible and no distortion;

horizontal stretch;

CyDO3wlT_o.jpg

cropped, losing top and bottom of image;

oopXh6Jr_o.jpg

vertical stretch;

uqRYa81O_o.jpg

4:3 with 4:3 bars imposed by screen (Blu-rays have these black pillarbox bars already);

D3v18cIu_o.jpg

4:3 squashed and stretched to cinema ratio;

VU4nApm2_o.jpg

4:3 zoomed to cinema ratio, but with imposed unnecessary black top and bottom that wastes screen space;

JcR5Qekg_o.jpg

correct 4:3 in a 16:9 frame, every pixel of the screen is used to display every pixel of the disc;

P1Mhw4dn_o.jpg

in addition to all of that, make sure your screen overscan setting is off, or you will lose a tiny bit of the image. And make sure you use a screen setting like Cinema or True Cinema, not Normal, Dynamic, Game or anything. You want to see the disc as it is, not have the screen make any choices.

Also noise reduction settings should be disabled and any sharpness sliders should be set to middle if that is off - or down to nothing if that takes it off. You want the original film grain that the high definition scan has captured to render the detail of the film. You don't want more or less than intended - no screen can create detail that isn't actually there on the disc when viewed unaltered. Anything that claims to is a trick, don't be fooled.

However, if you the user decide you actively want any of these settings to differ from correct presentation, that is of course up to you. I'm just pointing out what's intended by the makers of the show :cool:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

14 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

I’m assuming the Mill Creek DVD set would be more or less the same quality as their Blu-rays

They are the same masters, so essentially the same as the Blu-ray but at lower resolution and we did notice some audio issues with the Blu-ray that were not on their DVDs - different workflow evidently gave different results even though working from the same source.

17 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

So, I’m not sure what DVD set you were originally referring to, but the one I have has the Pilot with everything included. 

The UK DVD set has it as a two parter, so maybe that's what @RedDragon86 was watching :cool:

Edited by bodie
  • Thanks 1