What happened to the original MV colors?

ivoryjones

8 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Cool pics! :thumbsup: Correction how? Just curious. Your “correction”, or bottom pic, is pretty good...definitely closer to the accurate logo & what was originally aired. The blue is maybe not quite teal enough, and the pink is a little “hot” for MV...but this is close. Definitely better than the green & purple crap! :thumbsdown:

Well done - looks fantastic .. great work :hippie:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Retro80sfan said:

Yeah or have them just find some old recorded videos of the original airings and just cleaned them up or whatever and just release it on Blu-ray, but of course, we know they're not gonna do that. ;( All I know is I'm going to be keeping my original Universal DVDs close to me because in my opinion, they are closer to the original airings than the new DVDs and Blu-rays as some of the episodes haven't aged that bad. Not to mention the new DVDs and Blu-rays tend to "copy and paste" the same exact logo for each of the episodes in their corresponding seasons.

I agree. There are some out there who have original recordings that could be used for a special original/uncut complete series set of DVDs and Blu-rays. But it’d probably cost too much for what they want to pay, and I doubt we’ll ever see another type of release other than the same syndicated versions they’ve used so far. :(

But I agree...the original Universal DVDs are the best and closest to original airings, as later DVD releases and the Blu-ray set as well all seem to have problems—with playback and picture quality. I’ll stick with my Universal DVDs, as well as some original airings. :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, ivoryjones said:

WOW!!!!! Fantastic Fantastic Fantastic!!!!

What kind of tools you're using? Is it a real time playing like the "Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000" control panel (or later), or is it an image editor or something else?

That is a terrific job!

6 hours ago, Matt5 said:

A really fantastic job!

Well done - looks fantastic .. great work :hippie:

Thanks again everybody! I really appreciate all the feedback! :thumbsup:

@ivoryjones I am actually using three Android image editor apps on my Samsung tablet to try to recreate the original logos by using screenshots of the DVD logos. If only the video editor apps had the exact same controls that the image editors have... :fireworks:

Edited by Retro80sfan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Retro80sfan said:

Thanks again everybody! I really appreciate all the feedback! :thumbsup:

@ivoryjones I am actually using three Android image editor apps on my Samsung tablet to try to recreate the original logos by using screenshots of the DVD logos. If only the video editor apps had the exact same controls that the image editors have... :fireworks:

Results were really fantastic.

It's really hard to understand why "during playback" options are so limited. For some reason TV settings or even media player settings don't seem to deliver what we need. I can get some "during playback" acceptable results with Intel HD graphics control panel, but that's it, and they are not 100%. There should be more options.

• Administrators
On 29/04/2018 at 3:35 PM, Retro80sfan said:

Here's my correction of the "When Irish Eyes Are Crying" logo. I used the logo from the old Universal DVD's. I am now currently working on the first two seasons. Wish me luck! :fireworks: Btw, sorry if the below screenshot is smaller or low in quality then the above one, that's probably due to the apps on my tablet I used.

Original

045-when%20irish%20eyes%20are%20cryingdvd_zpskvelqrer.jpg

My Correction

3x01 - Irish Eyes Are Crying (2nd Correction).jpeg

The colour hues are good, but I feel like you've added too much colour/saturation. 

Nice work nonetheless. 

I've achieved similar results using Sony VEGAS. 

This segment gives a preview of Miami Vice and shows the original logo plus intro before the airing of Miami Vice in the fall of 1984. The Wolfson's archives have some clips of scenes from the show, but I'm not sure, if those are original broadcast or from 80's reruns. I understood, that the reruns of the show in the 80's looked the same color wise. I personally prefer the blue and pink color combination to the green and purple. The other logo colors somehow do fit the colorscheme of the episodes. And blue and pink give a more lighter feel to it for the first 2 seasons as they were, whereas the darker logo colors add to the tone and style of S3 and S5. 

Edited by summer84
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, summer84 said:

This segment gives a preview of Miami Vice and shows the original logo plus intro before the airing of Miami Vice in the fall of 1984. The Wolfson's archives have some clips of scenes from the show, but I'm not sure, if those are original broadcast or from 80's reruns. I understood, that the reruns of the show in the 80's looked the same color wise. I personally prefer the blue and pink color combination to the green and purple. The other logo colors somehow do fit the colorscheme of the episodes. And blue and pink give a more lighter feel to it for the first 2 seasons as they were, whereas the darker logo colors add to the tone and style of S3 and S5. 

I’m sure NBC’s own reruns during summer hiatus, or even for a month or so after the last episode aired, still had all the original logos.

I think the first network to show syndicated reruns was the USA network...which began showing reruns the year after MV went off the air (1990). They are the 1st network to air the “lost” episode Too Much Too Late...which is why IMDB inaccurately lists MV as going to 1990, instead of 1989 like it should.

Anyway, for the life of me I can’t remember if USA still had all the original teal & pink logos, or if they were the first network that for some reason integrated the “fake” green & purple? But I know later networks—fx, TNN, TVLand, etc... all had the fake ones for seasons 3-5. 

• Like 1

A news tape from the fall of 1993 showing the Miami Vice logo with the known NBC mark. Since this is from 1993, I would think it's from some other network, but still with the NBC mark... It says on wiki, that the USA network started airing reruns of MV in 1988, (which is also mentioned in a 2010 MV book analyzing the show) and also read that the network was owned by NBC Universal. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLLy1m99a0s USA network commercials during an episode of MV with MV bumper. There are more different clips on YT. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SqvWxPrAXY USA network 1988

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UC81y5r9Rk MV on fx

http://www.wolfsonarchives.info/view_permalink/?fileid=PLG02219.mp4 starts at 17:50

5ae78079517d7_MiamiVicelogo.jpg.8989266b673064b3b5896205918ad307.jpg

Edited by summer84
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, summer84 said:

I agree what you say about the darker logo colors with the greens and purples in S3 to 5

• Like 1

2 hours ago, summer84 said:

A news tape from the fall of 1993 showing the Miami Vice logo with the known NBC mark. Since this is from 1993, I would think it's from some other network, but still with the NBC mark... It says on wiki, that the USA network started airing reruns of MV in 1988, (which is also mentioned in a 2010 MV book analyzing the show) and also read that the network was owned by NBC Universal. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLLy1m99a0s USA network commercials during an episode of MV with MV bumper. There are more different clips on YT. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SqvWxPrAXY USA network 1988

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UC81y5r9Rk MV on fx

http://www.wolfsonarchives.info/view_permalink/?fileid=PLG02219.mp4 starts at 17:50

5ae78079517d7_MiamiVicelogo.jpg.8989266b673064b3b5896205918ad307.jpg

Another network most likely wouldn’t use a clip with NBC trademarks still in it...so I’m not sure if this was a NBC  “news tape” from 1993 remembering the show & talking about it for some reason? Or if NBC owned USA maybe they were allowed to keep the NBC mark at first...but I know later the USA mark is put in their reruns, and I don’t know if they were still airing reruns by 1993? This looks like maybe a Season 2 logo??

If USA was already showing reruns by ‘88 (even before the show was cancelled) then they definitely were the 1st network to air reruns. I still don’t remember if USA first had the “fake” logos or not? But I’m pretty sure they were used for fx & TNN, and I know they were used for TVLand. Sadly they were also used for the DVDs and Blu-rays.

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Another network most likely wouldn’t use a clip with NBC trademarks still in it...so I’m not sure if this was a NBC  “news tape” from 1993 remembering the show & talking about it for some reason? Or if NBC owned USA maybe they were allowed to keep the NBC mark at first...but I know later the USA mark is put in their reruns, and I don’t know if they were still airing reruns by 1993? This looks like maybe a Season 2 logo??

If USA was already showing reruns by ‘88 (even before the show was cancelled) then they definitely were the 1st network to air reruns. I still don’t remember if USA first had the “fake” logos or not? But I’m pretty sure they were used for fx & TNN, and I know they were used for TVLand. Sadly they were also used for the DVDs and Blu-rays.

The news tape is from a local tv station in Miami. It wouldn't make sense to me either, that a another network would be using the logo associated with NBC. So this must be NBC's own intro. USA started reruns of the 5th season in 1989 and 1990, so I guess by 1993 other networks were airing the show. According to wiki FX aired reruns of the show from 1996-1999. There is this promo video from 1996: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UC81y5r9Rk using all the p's to describe/present the show. 

It's interesting that this MV logo intro doesn't have the same colors from the original airing. The sea looks grey and bland. Weird, if it's actually from NBC. :) 

Well I looked at the MV logo's original broadcast's and reruns from the 80's posted by Ivoryjones on page 4 and not all of the images have that blue color of the sea some are actually faded/grey. And yes S2 has that logo only, where it says in Stereo and with the NBC mark.

Edited by summer84
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, summer84 said:

The news tape is from a local tv station in Miami. It wouldn't make sense to me either, that a another network would be using the logo associated with NBC. So this must be NBC's own intro. USA started reruns of the 5th season in 1989 and 1990, so I guess by 1993 other networks were airing the show. According to wiki FX aired reruns of the show from 1996-1999. There is this promo video from 1996: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UC81y5r9Rk using all the p's to describe/present the show. 

It's interesting that this MV logo intro doesn't have the same colors from the original airing. The sea looks grey and bland. Weird, if it's actually from NBC. :) 

Well I looked at the MV logo's original broadcast's and reruns from the 80's posted by Ivoryjones on page 4 and not all of the images have that blue color of the sea some are actually faded/grey. And yes S2 has that logo only, where it says in Stereo and with the NBC mark.

Yeah, for some reason the ocean would look grey...I always thought that was strange, lol! I don’t know if that was done with whatever color process they had back then when creating the logo...or if it was a cloudy day and the lighting made the water look grey when filming the ocean, or what?? ?(

I remember when fx (later capitalized as FX) aired reruns...I was in college (1st time around ;)) and had free cable in the dorm rooms—too much MV and not enough class work. But it was fun. :p

Someday I would like to know the reason the logo was changed in syndication...why change the colors? 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Yeah, for some reason the ocean would look grey...I always thought that was strange, lol! I don’t know if that was done with whatever color process they had back then when creating the logo...or if it was a cloudy day and the lighting made the water look grey when filming the ocean, or what?? ?(

I remember when fx (later capitalized as FX) aired reruns...I was in college (1st time around ;)) and had free cable in the dorm rooms—too much MV and not enough class work. But it was fun. :p

Someday I would like to know the reason the logo was changed in syndication...why change the colors? 

Yes I’ve noticed that about the greyish ocean.

I cannot tell much about the earliest cable reruns of Miami Vice, but, apparently, USA reran Miami Vice at least to a certain point faithfully to the original look.

On page 1 of this thread there is an image from a 1988 documentary about PMT. Unfortunately it's been taken out of youtube, but the image remains, and the "stereo" logo clearly suggests it's coming from a USA network source. We don't know from what episode this logo comes (if I do remember well, it appeared out of context during the documentary), but to me it looks like an early-to-middle S3 episode (the pink "vice" shows some dark outlines):

logo-PMTcoverstorypart2257.jpg

Also, if you check the Season 5 vintage logos on page 4 (this thread), there is the original broadcast of "Too Much, Too Late" from USA Network. To my eyes, it looks a bit like the rest of S5 as shown by NBC (I would say particularly closer to NBC's broadcast of "Hard Knocks"), but with a lot of saturation.

111-too%20much%20too%20lateusa%20network

It is hard to understand why a “news tape” from 1993 would use NBC material from 1985 like that (unless of course it's coming from NBC also)! Anyway, if I would guess the source episode, I would bet it is "The Prodigal Son" or "The Dutch Oven". Those are the episodes I remember from that season that, for some reason, have a weaker glow, just like the one on the "news tape". All Season 2 logos from NBC are on page 4 as well if someone wants to check it out, but here are the images:

The Prodigal Son

023-the%20prodigal%20sonnbc_zpsnpprxp24.

The Dutch Oven

026-the%20dutch%20ovennbca2_zpsie7vnc6d.

Edited by ivoryjones
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ivoryjones said:

I cannot tell much about the earliest cable reruns of Miami Vice, but, apparently, USA reran Miami Vice at least to a certain point faithfully to the original look.

On page 1 of this thread there is an image from a 1988 documentary about PMT. Unfortunately it's been taken out of youtube, but the image remains, and the "stereo" logo clearly suggests it's coming from a USA network source. We don't know from what episode this logo comes (if I do remember well, it appeared out of context during the documentary), but to me it looks like an early-to-middle S3 episode (the pink "vice" shows some dark outlines):

logo-PMTcoverstorypart2257.jpg

Also, if you check the Season 5 vintage logos on page 4 (this thread), there is the original broadcast of "Too Much, Too Late" from USA Network. To my eyes, it looks a bit like the rest of S5 as shown by NBC (I would say particularly closer to NBC's broadcast of "Hard Knocks"), but with a lot of saturation.

111-too%20much%20too%20lateusa%20network

It is hard to understand why a “news tape” from 1993 would use NBC material from 1985 like that (unless of course it's coming from NBC also)! Anyway, if I would guess the source episode, I would bet it is "The Prodigal Son" or "The Dutch Oven". Those are the episodes I remember from that season that, for some reason, have a weaker glow, just like the one on the "news tape". All Season 2 logos from NBC are on page 4 as well if someone wants to check it out, but here are the images:

The Prodigal Son

023-the%20prodigal%20sonnbc_zpsnpprxp24.

The Dutch Oven

026-the%20dutch%20ovennbca2_zpsie7vnc6d.

If NBC owned USA, then maybe their reruns kept the original logos & colors, as well as the “stereo” mark. It looks like it from the pics you posted above from USA airings. For whatever reason other networks had the logo colors changed for their reruns...whether that was NBC’s doing, or that cable network’s doing, I don’t know? 

23 hours ago, summer84 said:

The Blu-ray version of the pilot has the same colors. Absolutely gorgeous .

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Remington said:

The Blu-ray version of the pilot has the same colors. Absolutely gorgeous .

Yes beautiful :hippie:

5ae8ca69b6a7d_MiamiVicelogo.jpg.b6710ad40e450c57c608857402a9d189.jpg

Below pic: Pilot posted by Ivoryjones on page 1 and it has the USA networks logo from 1996

pilotusa.jpg.0ef2b7f64cdcd4cb9e4ece655b84d240.jpg

Most of the images by the USA network on page 1, I think do look like the original NBC broadcast, but a few like this one looks closer to the DVD's although the ocean is green and not red. But these two logo's to me look real close to each other. Even though the 2nd image is supposed to be blue and S2 is the only one with the "in stereo" along with the NBC mark. 

The news tape from 1993, has a voiceover talk about MV saying that the show can still be seen in Europe, whereas the show has been off the air in the US for years. Of course, it's not known where the source material of the footage comes from. I would think directly from NBC, but it could have also been from other networks owned by NBC such as the USA network using the NBC's logo. Who know's... 

And not all of the episodes from the 80's broadcast have the same color combination, there are some mixes of green/orange. And the differences between the USA network and NBC makes it even more confusing! :) For instance the episode of "Killshot" with USA logo looks the different from NBC's rerun of the same episode. 

Edited by summer84
  • Like 2

I don't know, once the voice over mentions places in Europe, could that logo come from a TV channel outside the US, some sort of overseas branch of NBC or USA network? Long shot, I know...

But from my experience, Miami Vice outside USA was usually some good years behind USA. In that case, it would mean vintage prints, good old transfers, being shown in the '90s and even early '00s somewhere in the world. Here in Brazil, I could watch reruns of Hit List with the "Hit List" title up to 1987 (if not later). And here is the funny part: those USA network images I posted on the first page, as mentioned in the very first post of this long thread (9 years!!!), do not come from the original "USA Network", but from the Brazilian branch of it!!! That "lag" of a couple of years (or more years than that) if compared to USA, the Country of origin, might explain why one could also watch here in Brazil the "Bikini girls" with Miami Vice jackets even during the mid '90s reruns of "Made for Each Other", on USA network "Brazil". Also, on a cable channel here called "Sony Cable Television", for some reason, the whole 4th season with the exception of Indian Wars, plus 5th Seasons' Freefall, were shown with the original colors and even with the NBC bumpers, during 2003-2005!!! Please check "Vote of Confidence" image on the very first post, page 1, it is clearly an '80s source, in great shape, but via a broadcast that took place in 2003 or 2004! On some eps I could even hear "Miami Vice will continue", but in most cases the bumpers that had that voice over were simply silent...

All that to say that there is proof that good and faithful prints were around until at least the early '00s, just a bit before the first DVD release of Season 1. I don't know if the "sender" was Universal, MCA, NBC, or USA network, but that Sony Entertainment Channel here in Brazil received copies directly related to the original NBCs (including bumpers), and that happened in the early '00s!

I have never thought about that, but maybe we are not pushing it if we guess that good prints are probably still around, somewhere. Whoever was in charge of the digital release(s) of Miami Vice just did not give a damn about getting the best material possible (and that continued on Blu-Ray). And why would he/she be worried about that? They're only in it for the money, and even to hardcore fans like us, the issue took a while to come to the surface!

Edited by ivoryjones
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, summer84 said:

5ae8ca69b6a7d_MiamiVicelogo.jpg.b6710ad40e450c57c608857402a9d189.jpg

Below pic: Pilot posted by Ivoryjones on page 1 and it has the USA networks logo from 1996

pilotusa.jpg.0ef2b7f64cdcd4cb9e4ece655b84d240.jpg

Most of the images by the USA network on page 1, I think do look like the original NBC broadcast, but a few like this one looks closer to the DVD's although the ocean is green and not red. But these two logo's to me look real close to each other. Even though the 2nd image is supposed to be blue and S2 is the only one with the "in stereo" along with the NBC mark. 

The news tape from 1993, has a voiceover talk about MV saying that the show can still be seen in Europe, whereas the show has been off the air in the US for years. Of course, it's not known where the source material of the footage comes from. I would think directly from NBC, but it could have also been from other networks owned by NBC such as the USA network using the NBC's logo. Who know's... 

And not all of the episodes from the 80's broadcast have the same color combination, there are some mixes of green/orange. And the differences between the USA network and NBC makes it even more confusing! :) For instance the episode of "Killshot" with USA logo looks the different from NBC's rerun of the same episode. 

Both pics look like the original logos & colors though. USA probably used NBC copies if NBC owned the network. It seems other cable networks airing reruns later, altered the logos for whatever reason?? 

In my opinion the only cable network to give “justice” to MV was USA. They seemed to have used original logos & colors, and if they started airing reruns in 1989 (during the last season of the show), and they were still airing reruns by 1996 (hence Ivory’s pic above of USA’s logo from the Pilot)— that’s quite a few years to air a show! Of course if NBC owned the network... ;)

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I found this on YouTube. Looks like an old recording of an overseas broadcast (or possibly a re-run I'm not sure). I don't know what episode this is. The print looks pretty much in pristine condition. It looks great! Also, the colors are more pronounced than now: The pink flamingos are pinker, the ocean is blue (and yes, occasionally the ocean did appear bland in color), and THE LOGO IS ACTUALLY IN BLUE AND PINK! WHOA! :o :fireworks: :thumbsup:

Edited by Retro80sfan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Retro80sfan said:

I found this on YouTube. Looks like an old recording of an overseas broadcast (or possibly a re-run I'm not sure). I don't know what episode this is. The print looks pretty much in pristine condition. It looks great! Also, the colors are more pronounced than now: The pink flamingos are pinker, the ocean is blue (and yes, occasionally the ocean did appear bland in color), and THE LOGO IS ACTUALLY IN BLUE AND PINK! WHOA! :o :fireworks: :thumbsup:

Original colors and logos were, and still are, amazing!! They helped each episode sizzle with stylish flare and captivation!! :fireworks: 

Too bad they didn’t use original airings for the DVDs and/or Blu-rays. :evil:  However, they did keep all the original music. :radio: 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

In regards to the mentions of Stereo NBC on the opening titles - did you know Miami Vice was one of the first shows to fully embrace Stereo. 

In a interview with Rolling stone in 2014 Jan Hammer stated - 

RS - It was the first television show presented in stereo. How did that affect the creation of the score?
JH - When we started, stereo sets were just coming out, and not many people had them. But at the same time it was fantastic, because you could do something with the atmosphere; it was much more like a movie experience. That went in line with the whole production design, and the cinematography of the show, which was very movie-like. I didn't have to worry about trying to break through a Mono speaker like in the old AM radio days. I was able to be much more adventurous, and make the sound really nice and wide.

3 hours ago, Yarn Hammer said:

In regards to the mentions of Stereo NBC on the opening titles - did you know Miami Vice was one of the first shows to fully embrace Stereo. 

In a interview with Rolling stone in 2014 Jan Hammer stated - 

RS - It was the first television show presented in stereo. How did that affect the creation of the score?
JH - When we started, stereo sets were just coming out, and not many people had them. But at the same time it was fantastic, because you could do something with the atmosphere; it was much more like a movie experience. That went in line with the whole production design, and the cinematography of the show, which was very movie-like. I didn't have to worry about trying to break through a Mono speaker like in the old AM radio days. I was able to be much more adventurous, and make the sound really nice and wide.

Great post Yarn thankyou.:hippie:

• 2 months later...

I just signed up basically to reply to this topic...

I'm currently watching through Miami Vice for the very first time on Hulu and I'm absolutely in love with the show... there are so many superlatives I could gush about for hours but I'll spare y'all. HOWEVER as a photography and photo editing nerd I'm always very aware of what's going on with the picture, whether we're talking about the physical mediums used to create it, or the stylistic choices made like contrast and saturation or what color timing was being used.

Having said that, I've read through about 60% of this thread (it's LOOONG) and I'm left with about 300 more questions than I entered with. The variations in the original sources is astounding enough as is, let alone when you factor in the re-runs, aging prints, digital transfers, etc.

Now since I never had the chance to see the original run I can only go off of these second- or third-hand sources seen here in this thread, but I'm quite surprised to learn just how BLUE some scenes originally were that today doesn't seem to survive in the slightest. And of course I know about film aging and losing their blues, but most of these examples look like someone deliberately modified the color cast at some point. Like that interior night shot of Castillo with the "Manhunter"-style blues... for it to go back to a normal dark reds and tans palette on the DVDs can NOT be just a byproduct of aging--someone had to have removed the blue cast.

Long story short, I've been messing with some screenshots in my photo editor (Photoshop Lightroom) trying to approximate what things would've looked like originally. This is the title from S2E13 "Yankee Dollar" as seen on Hulu.

Unmodified

43787996974_3dacfac221_b.jpg

And three edits on my part... this one is just fixing overall brightness

43787996734_2149b4a3da_b.jpg

This one tries to go for intense blues with the correct teal and pink logo

43787996564_cebf1ab6b2_b.jpg

And this one attempts the purple heavy look I've seen a number of times throughout this thread

43787996324_f89f3a228e_b.jpg

So the question is which one is valid? All of them? None of them? Which one looked the most as it would've on the boob tube circa 1986?

Edited by Wayfarers4ever
  • Like 2