What happened to the original MV colors?

ivoryjones

25 minutes ago, fakespyder said:

You can still find those old VHS to DVD recorders. Not sure the quality would be worth the cost/effort.

I'm more than satisfied with the blu rays (Elephant ver). I don't dismiss the contention that the colors are different. I don't know. Personally I don't notice it. You can manually change your television options, to remedy most of that, if you want.

The one thing I do notice is the bloom in many s4 daytime shots. It washes away a lot of detail. I need to compare it one day to the dvd version.

You can still get the VHS to DVD recorders…and if you have original MV airings on VHS, then in my opinion it’s definitely worth doing that—especially if the VHS copies are in good or excellent condition!

However, the original airings that I have were not originally mine. Another MV fan I was in contact with back around 2011-2012, had taped every episode as it aired. They had those transferred to DVDs, and I was somehow able to get them to make me a set as well. :D

Although not digitally remastered or in HD, the condition of the episodes is superb, and it’s pure, uncut/unedited, unaltered, unmessed with MV! But, I haven’t had contact with that fan since 2012/13, and I don’t know how to contact them anymore. So, if something would ever happen to one of the discs…I’d be in trouble, as I would not have any way to replace it. :eek:

But, I fully agree with you…the Elephant Films Blu-ray set is amazing! Definitely the best “official” set available! :clap: I have it as well, and that’s usually how I watch the show. I only get out my “original airing” set every few years…as I’m paranoid something might happen to it. :p

However, if you have high quality DVDs, take good care of them, store them properly…they supposedly can last anywhere from 50-200 years! I won’t be here in 50 years (I’ll already be with Jesus—and then someone else can enjoy my “vintage” DVD set ;)), let alone 200, lol!! :)

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

You can still get the VHS to DVD recorders…and if you have original MV airings on VHS, then in my opinion it’s definitely worth doing that—especially if the VHS copies are in good or excellent condition!

However, the original airings that I have were not originally mine. Another MV fan I was in contact with back around 2011-2012, had taped every episode as it aired. They had those transferred to DVDs, and I was somehow able to get them to make me a set as well. :D

Although not digitally remastered or in HD, the condition of the episodes is superb, and it’s pure, uncut/unedited, unaltered, unmessed with MV! But, I haven’t had contact with that fan since 2012/13, and I don’t know how to contact them anymore. So, if something would ever happen to one of the discs…I’d be in trouble, as I would not have any way to replace it. :eek:

But, I fully agree with you…the Elephant Films Blu-ray set is amazing! Definitely the best “official” set available! :clap: I have it as well, and that’s usually how I watch the show. I only get out my “original airing” set every few years…as I’m paranoid something might happen to it. :p

However, if you have high quality DVDs, take good care of them, store them properly…they supposedly can last anywhere from 50-200 years! I won’t be here in 50 years (I’ll already be with Jesus—and then someone else can enjoy my “vintage” DVD set ;)), let alone 200, lol!! :)

If i were you i would make copies of those DVD's and only use one set to watch it while the others are kept in storage or sent to some people

3 hours ago, MrQuiche said:

If i were you i would make copies of those DVD's and only use one set to watch it while the others are kept in storage or sent to some people

Possibly…but I have no way, equipment, or knowledge on how to do that. I probably should find someone that does, and have a backup set made…but as of now I don’t know of anyone. But, maybe I’ll look into it sometime and see. 

33 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

Possibly…but I have no way, equipment, or knowledge on how to do that. I probably should find someone that does, and have a backup set made…but as of now I don’t know of anyone. But, maybe I’ll look into it sometime and see. 

If you were near me i would do it but yeah i understand your fear of your copies getting lost or damaged in shipping

21 minutes ago, MrQuiche said:

If you were near me i would do it but yeah i understand your fear of your copies getting lost or damaged in shipping

If other members lived near me, I’d maybe host some “uncut” MV viewing parties (but, the coke & drugs would have to remain on-screen only :p), but I don’t think any (that I know of) do. If I ever do find a way to have copies made, I’ll PM you.

You're lucky if those are DVD's because VHS actually requires you to watch the whole tape to record it, that means like at least 400 hours for the whole series :p

1 minute ago, MrQuiche said:

You're lucky if those are DVD's because VHS actually requires you to watch the whole tape to record it, that means like at least 400 hours for the whole series :p

My set is DVDs. The episodes were transferred from the original VHS tapes to DVDs. They even have the original commercial-bumpers included (although the commercials themselves are cut out), if you remember or know what those were. It’s probably definitely worth looking into to get a backup set made. But, we’ll see…

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

My set is DVDs. The episodes were transferred from the original VHS tapes to DVDs. They even have the original commercial-bumpers included (although the commercials themselves are cut out), if you remember or know what those were. It’s probably definitely worth looking into to get a backup set made. But, we’ll see…

Sad that the commercials were cut out but those VHS were made back in the 80's so makes sense someone wouldn't think about someone wanting to watch them 40 years after

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MrQuiche said:

Sad that the commercials were cut out but those VHS were made back in the 80's so makes sense someone wouldn't think about someone wanting to watch them 40 years after

Some of them might have been fun and/or fun-ny to watch now…but, commercials are commercials. ;) The commercial-bumpers are what absolutely makes this set really cool! Not all had voiceovers, some did. There were also many different pictures & styles used over the years. Sadly, they were cut out with syndication & subsequent releases. By the early 90s commercial-bumpers were phased out all together. If this works, the one below here is just one example (you may have to click on it to get it to play and have sound):

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

Some of them might have been fun and/or fun-ny to watch now…but, commercials are commercials. ;) The commercial-bumpers are what absolutely makes this set really cool! Not all had voiceovers, some did. There were also many different pictures & styles used over the years. Sadly, they were cut out with syndication & subsequent releases. By the early 90s commercial-bumpers were phased out all together. If this works, the one below here is just one example (you may have to click on it to get it to play and have sound):

Yeah i've never seen those, i guess those empty black cuts in all episodes are where those bumpers were placed followed by the ads, really funny to see, now i really want to watch all episodes like this :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, MrQuiche said:

Yeah i've never seen those, i guess those empty black cuts in all episodes are where those bumpers were placed followed by the ads, really funny to see, now i really want to watch all episodes like this :thumbsup:

They usually were placed about halfway through a commercial break. As if they had to remind you what show you were watching—or calm fears that the show might not come back on, lol. Most TV shows from the 60s through the mid to late 80s had them. By the late 80s/early 90s, they were phased out and no longer used.

• Like 1

Ohh i see you're right i never saw those, first time seeing it and it's funny with context, for real did people tend to forget what they were watching, hmm maybe back in the days if you were switch between channels and didn't know the program it was a way but apparently everybody was watching Miami Vice when it aired

3 hours ago, MrQuiche said:

Ohh i see you're right i never saw those, first time seeing it and it's funny with context, for real did people tend to forget what they were watching, hmm maybe back in the days if you were switch between channels and didn't know the program it was a way but apparently everybody was watching Miami Vice when it aired

Yeah, usually most people knew what they were watching…but, you’re right, that it was just a way to let people know if they were switching channels looking for something to watch, or weren’t used to whatever program was on at any given night/time. Plus, commercial times did not used to be anywhere near as long as they are now. So, a few seconds here & there to use as a quick “filler” advertising during the three or four commercials you used to have, was also another purpose for it.