Analyzing The Pina Colada Song From Rupert Holmes!!!!

Maria714

Okay Vicerettes, I'd really like to know what you ladies think, Really Think, about this song. Vicer's (Gentlemen), feel free to input your two cents also.This is what happens when I am freezing & suffering from Cabin Fever.You can hear it on youtube. Click ---> hereI was tired of my ladyWe'd been together too long (Couldn't you say this to me instead of the world through a song?)Like a worn-out recording (Excuse Me?)Of a favorite songSo while she lay there sleepingI read the paper in bedAnd in the personal columnsThere was this letter I read"If you like Pina ColadasAnd getting caught in the rainIf you're not into yogaIf you have half a brainIf you'd like making love at midnightIn the dunes on the CapeThen I'm the love that you've looked forWrite to me and escape."(Uumm, don't the papers charge by letter or paragraphs for ads placed? Darling, it would probably be cheaper to hire a lawyer & end the marriage)I didn't think about my ladyI know that sounds kind of mean (You Think?)But me and my old lady Have fallen into the same old dull routine(Uumm, I'd have a problem with being called an old lady & lets not mention the little bit about falling into a dull routine.)So I wrote to the paperTook out a personal ad(You did what?) (Up till now, who would actually put up with this?)And though I'm nobody's poetI thought it wasn't half bad"Yes I like Pina ColadasAnd getting caught in the rainI'm not much into health foodI am into champagneI've got to meet you by tomorrow noonAnd cut through all this red-tape(Even though you don't know it's me, you'd be willing to meet another woman? How Dare You?)At a bar called O'Malley'sWhere we'll plan our escape." (By this point, he wouldn't make it to the bar)So I waited with high hopesAnd she walked in the placeI knew her smile in an instantI knew the curve of her faceIt was my own lovely ladyAnd she said, "Oh it's you."(Really ladies, I don't think I'd be to thrilled & all smiles knowing that my husband would be willing to go meet some other woman in a bar, even if he had no idea that it was me all along)Then we laughed for a moment ( In reality, I don't know of a single couple who would actually find this amusing at all. But maybe it's just me)And I said, "I never knew." That you like Pina ColadasGetting caught in the rainAnd the feel of the oceanAnd the taste of champagne(You never knew this about me? And, I'm supposed to know everything about you?)If you'd like making love at midnightIn the dunes of the CapeYou're the lady I've looked forCome with me and escapeIn reality, I actually like this song. But, I see it realistically, I don't know of a single woman who would do this.

Yeah but remember that she responded to the ad. So that meant that she was also scanning the personal ads, and she was just as willing to go out on a date with a man behind his back as he was to meet a woman behind her back. They are both as guilty as each other! Therefore if she'd have had a go at him when she met him, she would have been very hippocritical to do so. That's probably why they laughed, out of embarrassment!I think the point of the song is about their lack of communication. In reality they'd forgotten why they'd gotten together in the first place. It was only by actually communicating via a personal ad that they redisovered why they loved each other. I think they both had to eat humble pie when they met each other, although both of them would realistically had an issue with the fact that the other was willing to go behind their backs. It's just that neither of them could say anything about it as it would have been hippocritical to do so.

Yeah but remember that she responded to the ad. So that meant that she was also scanning the personal ads' date=' and she was just as willing to go out on a date with a man behind his back as he was to meet a woman behind her back. They are both as guilty as each other! Therefore if she'd have had a go at him when she met him, she would have been very hippocritical to do so. That's probably why they laughed, out of embarrassment!I think the point of the song is about their lack of communication. In reality they'd forgotten why they'd gotten together in the first place. It was only by actually communicating via a personal ad that they redisovered why they loved each other. I think they both had to eat humble pie when they met each other, although both of them would realistically had an issue with the fact that the other was willing to go behind their backs. It's just that neither of them could say anything about it as it would have been hippocritical to do so.[/quote']I TOTALLY AGREE with you Papa Legba. To me, if I had to try & revive my relationship with my husband, by taking out an ad in the paper, I'd save that money & hire a lawyer for the divorce. Cause apparently, it would be over & not worth the hassle to me to do anything more. I wouldn't do it, but that's just me. To me, if it's over then it's over.

I think what the song is saying though is that wasn't over, they managed to revive their relationship because they were finally communicating properly, when up until that point they weren't communicating properly, maybe because they'd taken each other for granted. I take your point though, try and save or end your relationship first, before you line up a replacement. I think some people would prefer to hang on to a stale relationship until a better situation comes along, because they are scared to be on their own.

Yeah but remember that she responded to the ad. So that meant that she was also scanning the personal ads' date=' and she was just as willing to go out on a date with a man behind his back as he was to meet a woman behind her back. They are both as guilty as each other! Therefore if she'd have had a go at him when she met him, she would have been very hippocritical to do so. That's probably why they laughed, out of embarrassment!I think the point of the song is about their lack of communication. In reality they'd forgotten why they'd gotten together in the first place. It was only by actually communicating via a personal ad that they redisovered why they loved each other. I think they both had to eat humble pie when they met each other, although both of them would realistically had an issue with the fact that the other was willing to go behind their backs. It's just that neither of them could say anything about it as it would have been hippocritical to do so.[/quote']I see the song as you do Papa Legba.The needed to communicate.They were right for eachother all along. They just need to talk, and not let things get stale. A little effort reaps big rewards.

I never wanted to play this song because I liked the tune, but hated the whole idea of cheating on your lover.Actually, she's the one who wrote the ad in the paper, and he responded to it. So she was tired of him first! It has a happy ending, since they found out through the ad that they really liked the same things but were afraid to tell each other and were able to repair their relationship. :happy: I never thought of them as being married....since he called her his "lady" , but they may be married since he also calls her his "old lady" ;) I still won't play this song....I play "Two Pina Coladas!"

Actually' date=' she's the one who wrote the ad in the paper, and he responded to it. So she was tired of him first! [/quote']Actually you're right Tony. I'd got it into my head that he wrote the ad. My bad!

Well its one of those foot tapping sunny afternoon songs that make you feel good I suppose...however...Advert dating is a farce and in real life this would never happen. The song merely states the fantasy of what could be!That's why it's classified as a "feel good" song. It's kind of a corny song but brings back good memories of that time.Another song to remoniss over was the one called "Afternoon Delight" I could not stand that song when it was on the radio, but now when I hear it, it reminds me of better times. It has that "Ear Worm" tune that gets stuck in your head and you hum it all day long, just like the Pina Colada song.

To me the song says why you have to do a lot of maintenance of your love for each other and the relationship in a marriage. When it comes so fare one of the partners puts in a personel add they forgot a turn at the local marriage garage.