Miami Beach Art Deco Architecture Book

Barrel69

I recently picked up a copy from E-bay as seen on the picture. Yesterday I began reading this book. Well actually looking in it, because of the many beautiful pictures there are in it.I was surprised that the book was from 1988 so it gives a very good impression of how it was at the time Miami Vice was filmed. Then late last night I got home and began watching episode 102 "the cell within". Now I did not see any of the episodes of season 5 back in those days. So what I was about to see shocked me with surprise......At 2:17 minutes a person grabs that same very book from a shelf in the book-store where the signing takes place. There are multiple books to be seen. Can you understand the excitement I felt ? By the way : this book is absolute recommended !

looks like a great book - wonder if you can pick up other copies anywhere in book stores - I see Ebay have a couple of copys too - one of which being a minature book?.:D

That looks really great:clap:I searched Borders website for the title and came up with this -"Tropical Deco: The Architecture and Design of Old Miami Beach"by Laura CerwinskeNow I see this on the Amazon site, too. There are probably a lot of books on Art Deco, but the one you found sounds the best for reference to how it looked during MV filming.

• Administrators

I see Ebay have a couple of copys too - one of which being a minature book?.:D

Probably referring to the paperback edition listed in my link above.

This is a great book. You can buy it at that book shop on Lincoln Road in Miami Beach. I looked through it while I was there. It has many beautiful pictures of South Beach from the Vice era. Fascinating to see pictures of the South Beach buildings before the restoration. I'm going to buy that book next time I'm in Miami.

It's really fun, to see buildings that are used in the episodes. I wouldn't recommend the paperback edition, because of the increase in size of the photo's.

So far I discovered the Sterling Building which featured in "the Cell Within" at 0:30:16 in which Gina & Trudy chase the film-maker. Now every time I see a art-Deco style building I will search the book.After finishing season 5, I will start again with season 1, especially now I got a copy of the unofficial Miami Vice episode guide....... !

The SenatorI just now discovered (from this website) that the Senator Hotel was demolished in 1988. In the book they start with hotel and the threat as plans were made to demolish it. It's being mentioned that it is the symbol of the Deco District. People protested against it. Shame to see that only cars are parked nowadays on that spot ......

• Administrators

Here's another good book with lots of cool pics! This link also lets you look inside the book. You will recognize several buildings from Vice, especially the post office seen in "Down For The Count" Pt. 2Tropical Deco

I have a book which I bought at the Wolfsonian in Miami Beach - it is called Woggles and Cheese Holes: The History of Miami Beach's Hotels by Howard Kleinberg. There are some old pictures of hotels but I bought it mainly as I am interested in the history of art deco architecture & furniture. I am reading through it & if I find anything relevant to MV locations, I'll let you all know.I have the Tropical Deco book already & it is definitely worth looking at.

• 2 months later...

Since reading this thread a few month's ago I picked up this book on E-Bay and have no regrets. Actually, I highly recommend it. I did notice alot of buildings yet it pretty much covers all the hotels in the Miami Art Deco district along Ocean Blvd(I think). Anyway, very nice and well done book. I'm glad I have one and it's on the coffee table as I speak. I do flip through it on occasion...Mike

• 2 months later...

I agree before making a purchase I was trying to find a couple pages showing what's in it, maybe a few ilustrations, wheter it's mainly photos or text etc. however unable to find anything either

I really like to the look and contents of this book - anybody have it ? http://www.amazon.com/MiMo-Revealed-...ref=pd_sim_b_6:D