Looks Like Six More Weeks of Winter...

maynard

PUNXSUTAWNEY, PA (WFIE) - Famed groundhog and weather forecaster Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow when he came out around 6:20 Tuesday morning, signaling six more weeks of winter.For the last 122 years, Phil has predicted the start of spring on February 2nd from his home on Gobbler's Knob. According to legend, if he doesn't see his shadow he journeys farther from his home in search of it, signaling an early spring. If he sees his shadow he runs back inside, indicating six more weeks of winter.Members of the Punxsutawney Groundhog Club claim he has a 100 percent accuracy rate, but according to StormTrax Weather Almanac and records dating back to 1887, he is only accurate 39% of the time.Other famous groundhogs include General Beauregard Lee in Atlanta and Staten Island Chuck.

Guest neworder

Damn, this nicely coincides with the monthly forecast released here today showing a more than likely well below average February for the UK. Good times.........Since it's El Nino this year - its hard to tell whether the famed ground-hog will get it right, certainly in some places in the U.S winter will end earlier but in others it won't. We'll see how it all plays out, all I know is he's spot on for the UK at the moment!

Here in Canada we've got Wiarton Willie (from Wiarton, Ontario) and Nova Scotia's Shubenacadie Sam in the Maritimes who both predicted the same. Although you wouldn't even know it's winter if it weren't for the colder temperatures without any snow on the ground.

hey, i like the winter guys! dark, mean & moody just like me. this image below of spring depresses me. Don't worry though, the fall is only 7 months away:p"Beyond Sick"Eingefügtes Bild

I hate the winter! In TV it was said that the winter 2009/2010 is harder than the winter 1978/1979 had been. I´ve to shovel snow for four times a day, and in the evening one can´t see anythig from the work I´ve done. We´ve got no idea where to put all that snow, and besides that the communities get it hardly done to clear off the roads.

• Administrators

Seems we have a conflict here with Winter. The little critter saw his shadow in Pennsylvania but not in New York!

I didn't know about this groundhog day and I find it so nice! Our tradition on Feb. 2 is a lot less complicated (and less poetic too): we just have to look out of the window and check the weather.If it's rainy or windy, winter will continue, if it's sunny spring is coming; and snow isn't even included in our ancient rhyme for Feb. 2. :)