VICE INFO YOU DIDN'T KNOW!

COOPER&BURNETT

I was wondering the same thing. I was trying to listen to the audio but no luck. Could someone post the quote of what he said? For years I have heard him say he had issue with DJ but for years I recall hearing he got a long with PMT. They 1st met in like 1971 I think & always remained friendly, though he had met DJ in 1968, it seemed they always kept separate. At least that's what I've always gathered over the years.

He said he got into a huge fight with Don and Philip (does not say anything about the fight) but it helped the show immensely, he lost respect for them and it took a year to look at them . . . He goes on to say it by not saying much it added a mystique to the show and stopped it from being Starsky and Hutch.  He says Gregory Sierra had such a difficult time with Don and Phillip he said "Kill me," and that's why he got off the show.  EJO says that when Sierra left Michael Mann called him five times begging him to do the show but he refused and finally agreed when he got a non-exclusive contract and control over his character.  I knew about the problem he had with DJ but it surprises me that he and Gregory Sierra also had problems with PMT.  I believe him but I also get the feeling there is more to the story.

• Like 2

He said he got into a huge fight with Don and Philip (does not say anything about the fight) but it helped the show immensely, he lost respect for them and it took a year to look at them . . . He goes on to say it by not saying much it added a mystique to the show and stopped it from being Starsky and Hutch.  He says Gregory Sierra had such a difficult time with Don and Phillip he said "Kill me," and that's why he got off the show.  EJO says that when Sierra left Michael Mann called him five times begging him to do the show but he refused and finally agreed when he got a non-exclusive contract and control over his character.  I knew about the problem he had with DJ but it surprises me that he and Gregory Sierra also had problems with PMT.  I believe him but I also get the feeling there is more to the story.

Interesting. I did not know the reason for Sierra leaving the show. I always wondered why they killed off a major character so very early in the series. It made no sense, and seemed obvious that they only reason they would do this is if the actor had specifically wanted to leave the show. So the reason he asked to be killed off is because he hated working with DJ and PMT so much? And then EJO reluctantly replaces him, because he too doesn't like PMT and DJ either. I wonder what all that was about. But I have to say that I agree that EJO does say some silly and ridiculous things (not that I don't think he's a good actor). It's just off-putting that he talks like he's what made the show and saved it from being Starsky and Hutch...when Miami Vice was supposed to be neo-noir all along, regardless of who was playing Crockett and Tubbs' boss. From the very episode, it was clear that it was a balance between light and dark and that it was something that was dramatic and serious. I don't think Castillo's intensity alone is what made it what it is, though it did just one more dimension that worked nicely in the larger theme. But it would have been just as great had Sierra stayed on as Rodriguez, as he was doing a good job as well, albeit playing a very different type of character. As for them having problems with PMT, It is completely believable, given how close DJ and PMT seemed to be. Their friendship would obviously cause PMT to fully side with DJ on everything, so that if DJ was fighting with Sierra and EJO, PMT was right there with him on that. So any problems they would have had with DJ, they would have had with his other half PMT too. I do wonder what it is though, that made both Sierra and EJO despise working with them, and I also wonder if any other cast and crew had the same problems. It seems like DJ and PMT were a real two-man team on that show.

Edited by viceystyle
  • Like 1

Good post Vicey.  Ya EJO saying he saved Miami Vice from becoming another Starsky and Hutch is pretty self serving to say the least.  The show would have still been pretty special even if Sierra had stayed but EJO did add something.  DJ had a dominant, take charge, personality back then so it's believable that PMT went along with his partner a lot of the time.  I have read that some directors and staff members did have problems with DJ so there is no doubt that EJO had trouble with Don.  I have also read that DJ liked to add his own input to the action and dialogue and of course he directed some episodes himself.  As EJO said in the interview he would frequently refuse to do what the director wanted him to do when he didn't agree that Castillo, as a Lieutenant, should do or say what was in the script.  He had control of his character.  The original cause of the conflict might have been: disagreement about what Castillo should do and say in an episode, or EJO not liking Don taking over the episode.  Another factor to consider is that it's been 30 years since the show started and EJO's memory may be a bit cloudy about what happened especially since he has answered similar questions many many times.  I know that when I have told a story many times about something that happened a long time ago sometimes I wonder if it really happened that way or did I add some details along the way.  

Edited by miamijimf

Something big must have happened to drive Sierra over the edge that he'd want to leave after just three episodes...and specifically ask them to kill Rodriguez so he could have a complete way out. I guess he thought DJ was insufferable, and EJO felt the same. Though reading some of the things EJO has said, I can understand why DJ and him didn't see eye to eye. Perhaps DJ at that point wished he hadn't driven Sierra out, as he felt dealing with EJO got on his nerves far more than Sierra ever did. It also makes sense that DJ was a very dominant personality and PMT, being his friend, would go along with him. Their real personalities also came out in the characters they played, as Tubbs was in some ways a sidekick to Crockett, and it was clear from the first episode that Crockett was running the show, and Tubbs was along for the ride.  I did read that the Crockett role was originally offered to Jeff Bridges, but he declined, even though he's who they really wanted. I wonder what it would have been like had Bridges played Crockett instead. Maybe Sierra would have never left then. But I wonder how well Bridges would have clicked with PMT. I'm sure he would have gotten along with him easily, but I wonder if the relationship between Crockett and Tubbs would have differed somehow if someone besides DJ had played him, and how the character of Crockett himself would have differed too. 

Edited by viceystyle

I feel Castillo fit the Miami theme way better than Rodriguez. I LOVE the first episodes with Rodriguez but always felt he was NY. He would be perfect in a NY Vice but he did not fit Miami. He was the typical Lt. for the time that we saw in NY crime shows. I feel he was the weak point in the early eps.

Here are a few tid bits from the filming of Buddies. On Thursday, August 15 1985 the studio paid for two rooms at the Holiday Inn. They were for Michael Talbott and John Diehl to stay there for the night. WOW big spenders at the studio, Holiday Inn. Not what I would expect for stars.

On Monday August 19, 1985 all filming stopped on the OCB set at 5:45 pm to accommodate NBC Today Show. The same day about $1,000.00 USD worth of damage was done to the Ferrari during the stunt chase.

Here are a few tid bits from the filming of Buddies. On Thursday, August 15 1985 the studio paid for two rooms at the Holiday Inn. They were for Michael Talbott and John Diehl to stay there for the night. WOW big spenders at the studio, Holiday Inn. Not what I would expect for stars.

On Monday August 19, 1985 all filming stopped on the OCB set at 5:45 pm to accommodate NBC Today Show. The same day about $1,000.00 USD worth of damage was done to the Ferrari during the stunt chase.

Do you have any more info on what damage was done to the Ferrari?  Thanks!

Some info from the DPR of Bought And Paid For. Sat. 08/24/1985: all seven series regulars travel to L.A. for NBC All Star Show. Return Sunday, 08/25/1985.

Friday, 08/23/1985 20 minute delay in filming due to faulty battery in Lamborghini and no gas in Ferrari.

Thursday, 08/22/1985: Camera asst., Herb Davis injured elbow on barricade and DR. Wilner came to set to administer tetanus shot and first aid.

Could have been to the Stunt Car, as that one is used for the aggressive driving scenes.

DPR did not specify but my thoughts were that it was the car they used for close-up/interior shots. As they filmed the interior of the car shots/ close ups just outside the studio for convenience. The filming on that day was only close up interior shots, not the on location shots of the car travelling the streets.

C Glide, this is some really cool info with the daily production reports. Was this information made available in the newspaper?

additional info. regarding damage to Ferrari. At bottom of DPR, in the area listing vehicles used it refers to Ferrari as Ferrari 2. You may know what significance if any that may have.

C Glide, this is some really cool info with the daily production reports. Was this information made available in the newspaper?

Not that I know of. I put some on my site but most is unpublished. This looked like the perfect spot to reveal this info for the first time.

Well, what a great source of information! In the not so distant future, I'll have information that you most likely will be interested in, such as "exact locations" and addresses.  

Great Job C Glide!

Edited by COOPER&BURNETT
  • Like 1

Well, what a great source of information! In the not so distant future, I'll have information that you most likely will be interested in, such as "exact locations" and addresses.  

Great Job C Glide!

Cool. Are you talking about select scenes, episodes or locations from the whole series?

Certain episodes, and the locations where things were shot. Some with maps, and driving directions.

Edited by COOPER&BURNETT

Look forward to that C&B.

Certain episodes, and the locations where things were shot. Some with maps, and driving directions.

Look forward to that C&B.

How cool!  It's great that you guys are willing to share this info!  I don't know which Ferrari would have been called Ferrari 2.  Maybe we can figure it out if there are more mentions of the Ferraris by Ferrari 1 and Ferrari 2.

Thank You.

Bushido: Not a ton of interesting tid bits but it (the DPR) does document Don Johnson being ill even to the point that on 11/12/1985 a doctor(unnamed) was brought to the set to examine DJ.

On Friday (of Course) 10/17/1985 trouble at the Deering Estate when a member or members of the crew broke into the wine cellar.

• Like 1