VICE INFO YOU DIDN'T KNOW!

COOPER&BURNETT

I just wanted to say that I LOVE this thread! It´s sooo interesting and I didn´t know most of the information you posted.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Well thank you!!Keep checking back often, because I have even more!

I guess I read it here on the site somewhere, but it fits into this thread I think, so I thought I might post it. In the scene where Calderone shoots Raphael Tubbs the man playing Tubbs´ brother is Philip Michael Thomas´ stuntman.

J.B JONES was responsible for the pyrotechnics for the series.For the effect of the boat exploding in JUNK LOVE, J.B. salvaged a rusty old 40 foot hulk, patched, painted it, and loaded it with explosives. Then while standing on a barge 450 feet way in No Name Harbor in Key Biscayne, he blew it up!Eingefügtes Bild

In another vice episode, BACK IN THE WORLD, pyrotechnics expert J.B. Jones had to make it look like Crockett's boat was being shot at by artillary mortors from the shore.On the first night of shooting, J.B. was down in the hull of the boat and tossing sticks of dynamite over the side.One of the dynamite sticks washed back and was almost underneath the boat when it exploded. The boat was slightly damaged by the explosion. Had it gone underneath, and exploded, J.B. Ira Stone and Don Johnson would have been killed instantly!The next night, they shot the scene again, but this time, J.B rigged the charges in the water. The explosions were controlled from the shore as Don Johnson drove the boat past the charges.Eingefügtes Bild

In this season 3 scene from WALK ALONE, the big guy playing a prisoner standing directly in front of PMT is PMT's real life brother, GEORGE. He was PMT's bodyguard on the set. Eingefügtes Bild

VICE INFO YOU DIDN"T KNOW

In another vice episode, BACK IN THE WORLD, pyrotechnics expert J.B. Jones had to make it look like Crockett's boat was being shot at by artillary mortors from the shore.On the first night of shooting, J.B. was down in the hull of the boat and tossing sticks of dynamite over the side.One of the dynamite sticks washed back and was almost underneath the boat when it exploded. The boat was slightly damaged by the explosion. Had it gone underneath, and exploded, J.B. Ira Stone and Don Johnson would have been killed instantly!What a disaster that could have been! The insurers must have had a fit! I'm surprised they didn't replace him for that.

In another vice episode' date=' BACK IN THE WORLD' date=' pyrotechnics expert J.B. Jones had to make it look like Crockett's boat was being shot at by artillary mortors from the shore.On the first night of shooting, J.B. was down in the hull of the boat and tossing sticks of dynamite over the side.One of the dynamite sticks washed back and was almost underneath the boat when it exploded. The boat was slightly damaged by the explosion. Had it gone underneath, and exploded, J.B. Ira Stone and Don Johnson would have been killed instantly!What a disaster that could have been! The insurers must have had a fit! I'm surprised they didn't replace him for that.[/quote'']Oh yes... I wouldn't forgive the guy if DJ was killed: who would be my eye-candy instead of him, then? :eek:

In another vice episode' date=' BACK IN THE WORLD' date=' pyrotechnics expert J.B. Jones had to make it look like Crockett's boat was being shot at by artillary mortors from the shore.On the first night of shooting, J.B. was down in the hull of the boat and tossing sticks of dynamite over the side.One of the dynamite sticks washed back and was almost underneath the boat when it exploded. The boat was slightly damaged by the explosion. Had it gone underneath, and exploded, J.B. Ira Stone and Don Johnson would have been killed instantly!What a disaster that could have been! The insurers must have had a fit! I'm surprised they didn't replace him for that.[/quote'']Perhaps being Don directed it, he made the call? I dunno. Real dynamite? :fireworks:I wouldn't have put the actors in harms way. Perhaps they thought it could be done safely......

WOW limitless supply of information. this stuff is very intresting' date=' thanks for posting! [/quote']This is what to expect from the world's finest MIAMI VICE website!I knew this thread was a great idea when I started it, and it's shown to be pretty popular!Thanks for the feedback!

Does anybody know the details of when Sonny's Daytona was blown up? Please tell me they didn't really blow up that wonderful car.:eek:

No. At least one of the cars is alive and well and the owner drops in here from time to time. You can see pictures of how that car looks today in the Glossary. (It is known as CAMERA CAR FOUR) The other car was dis-assembled and the parts went in several directions. The frame rail and body number are not on any of the pretenders you see advertised. There is more information about this in the Glossary section as well.In fact, there is a wealth of information in the Glossary on about every topic you can think of related to MIAMI VICE. The team responsible for assembling this data did a fantastic job in putting everything you could want to know at your fingertips.EVERYONE ON THIS SITE NEEDS TO SIT DOWN WITH THEIR FAVORITE BEVERAGE AND SPEND SOME TIME IN THE GLOSSARY SECTION. JN

To watch everything in the Glossary Section, I´d need a bathtub filled with coffee a a lot of time!:) Itßs so interesting that I don´t know where to start.

• 5 years later...

In this season 3 scene from WALK ALONE, the big guy playing a prisoner standing directly in front of PMT is PMT's real life brother, GEORGE. He was PMT's bodyguard on the set. walk-1.jpg

In that same episode, has anyone found out or know if the love interest who was killed Laura was Philip's (then girlfriend & future, then former wife) Kassandra Green-Thomas? I always wondered because the girl who played Laura looks like Kassandra to me.

• Like 1

Considering Vice info, here's a link to an Edward James Olmos interview from Dec. 1985, 

about the insights and background of his character Castillo.

A small part of the interview:

``Everyone on the show was accepting of what I was doing,`` he said,

``but there were a couple of conflicts. Little things, but important things. I wanted Crockett to knock on Castillo`s door, to never just walk into the office. Don didn`t want to do it, said that Sonny didn`t work that way.

``I told the guys, `You don`t know Castillo. You don`t know where he came from, what he did for the D.E.A. (Drug Enforcement Agency) in Southeast Asia, what he`s about.` There has to be distance. Knocking on that door is important in defining Castillo and the relationship.

``Don came around, finally. We had the same problem with the episode

(`Prodigal Son`) where Crockett and Tubbs went to New York. They wanted Castillo to go. I told them, `Send anybody, but don`t send Castillo. He has to stay on the job in Miami. It`s what he would do.` ``

That's some awesome tidbits about Castillo. Always felt like everyone knocking on his door and asking to use his phone etc, showed respect towards the Lieutenant.

And he voluntary opted out having screen time in Prodigal son so he'd stay true to his character? now that's commitment. If I was him I would be scrambling for any screen time they offered me. :)  

• Like 1

Incredible post. Lots of unknown - and exclusive - informations. I only knew the one about Jan Hammer.

Hey Coop, did you use to work with the crew when they were shooting the show? ;-)

Markwey, great interview with EJO about my favorite character!

Considering Vice info, here's a link to an Edward James Olmos interview from Dec. 1985, 

about the insights and background of his character Castillo.

This is a refreshingly critical view of the production process. Considering Olmos's method, it's clear to see why Castillo is such a compelling character.

EJO was pretty much the "rebel" on Vice set. This is one of the things I respect about the man.

I can also see him not being that much into all the glamour and flashy stuff, -

after the skyrocketing popularity of Vice in the mid-80s. More down to earth than others, I'd dare to say.

By the way, here's a bit of an update on the story - "Web Exclusive: Edward James Olmos On Lt. Castillo Of 'Miami Vice'".

The audio interview above is from 2014.

Have a listen.

Edited by Markwey

Interesting recording.  I knew EJO had problems with DJ but I never heard of problems with PMT.  Having met PMT and knowing his reputation, it's a little difficult to see him giving anyone a hard time (unless they deserved it).  This was a 2014 interview so maybe time has dulled his memory a bit.  It happens to everyone's memory sooner or later. 

Interesting recording.  I knew EJO had problems with DJ but I never heard of problems with PMT.  Having met PMT and knowing his reputation, it's a little difficult to see him giving anyone a hard time (unless they deserved it).  This was a 2014 interview so maybe time has dulled his memory a bit.  It happens to everyone's memory sooner or later. 

What did he say about PMT? 

I like Olmos but i've heard him say some silly things, I remember on the Blade Runner "making of", he was talking about his character like it was Vito Corleone, talking about how he creates his characters from scratch. I didn't even realise he was in it and i've seen the film dozens of times lol

Edited by thedeparted94
  • Like 2

What did he say about PMT? 

I like Olmos but i've heard him say some silly things, I remember on the Blade Runner "making of", he was talking about his character like it was Vito Corleone, talking about how he creates his characters from scratch. I didn't even realise he was in it and i've seen the film dozens of times lol

I was wondering the same thing. I was trying to listen to the audio but no luck. Could someone post the quote of what he said? For years I have heard him say he had issue with DJ but for years I recall hearing he got a long with PMT. They 1st met in like 1971 I think & always remained friendly, though he had met DJ in 1968, it seemed they always kept separate. At least that's what I've always gathered over the years.