Persols

Sonny-Burnett

I also posted this over on .org but wanted to hear from this group about the following: I recently acquired Persol 69218 shades in black frames and green/gray lenses similar to those used in Season 3 by Sonny . I noticed that the frames are glossy on the inside and matte black on the outside. Of all the stills I've seen of Sonny wearing these the best close-up I've found is from the avatar of our fellow member Burnett (thanks, pal for the photo)as follows:Eingefügtes BildThe question I have for the group is do you think the frames are matte black or glossy from the photo or does anyone have any inside knowledge on this?By the way, I am going to be acquiring several other pairs of this same Persol 69218 in matte black and green/gray lenses that I will be listing on Ebay. I will post the link for any who may be interested. Thanks, S-B

http://miami-vice.ws/photoplog/images/36/medium/1_Persols.jpgThe question I have for the group is do you think the frames are matte black or glossy from the photo or does anyone have any inside knowledge on this?By the way, I am going to be acquiring several other pairs of this same Persol 69218 in matte black and green/gray lenses that I will be listing on Ebay. I will post the link for any who may be interested. Thanks, S-B

S-B, I would be interested in one of those pairs...so keep me posted! I believe the lenses to be possibly polaroid. Persol had a wide variety of tints and different lenses to fit those frames back in the day....

S-B' date=' I would be interested in one of those pairs...so keep me posted! I believe the lenses to be possibly polaroid. Persol had a wide variety of tints and different lenses to fit those frames back in the day....[/quote']You're right JonnyD, most European sellers of these frames are selling with brown lenses, clearly not the lenses worn by DJ in Season 3. I believe I have found the correct lens color but I'm not sure about whether the frames are matte or glossy. The avatar by Burnett I posted makes the frames look matte----what do you think?I'll definitely let you and the group know when I have these other Persols. BTW to you and the group, any ideas about what these ought to sell for? I know I paid a pretty penny to get mine. ThanksS-B

not the lenses worn by DJ in Season 3. I believe I have found the correct lens color but I'm not sure about whether the frames are matte or glossy. The avatar by Burnett I posted makes the frames look matte----what do you think?I'll definitely let you and the group know when I have these other Persols. BTW to you and the group, any ideas about what these ought to sell for? I know I paid a pretty penny to get mine. ThanksS-B

There is a guy on Ebay stores who is selling them between $80-$110.00 dollars. Do a search that way, to best gauge the market. I would think those lenses are Matte. For the simple reason that a matte surface won't reflect light back into the camera while shooting exteriors. It could be that the one scene, where the Daytona blows up, DJ was wearing a glossy lensed pair for effect. Having reviewed some season three clips I'm going to go with Matte.

There is a guy on Ebay stores who is selling them between $80-$110.00 dollars. Do a search that way' date=' to best gauge the market. I would think those lenses are Matte. For the simple reason that a matte surface won't reflect light back into the camera while shooting exteriors. It could be that the one scene, where the Daytona blows up, DJ was wearing a glossy lensed pair for effect. Having reviewed some season three clips I'm going to go with Matte.[/quote']Thanks again, JonnyD. I'm thinking matte also from the avatar and from some video clips in the Ferrari --though hard to tell. I think I know the seller you refer to and he is out of the far east. If you look closely at his adds, they are sport models I believe 402s, not the 69218's and I question whether they are even genuine. The ones I'm getting have the original Persol Tags dated 1986, have lens stickers on them, and the Persol circular logo is etched in each lens. I paid well over the amount you referred to for my pair.

Thanks again' date=' JonnyD. I'm thinking matte also from the avatar and from some video clips in the Ferrari --though hard to tell. I think I know the seller you refer to and he is out of the far east. If you look closely at his adds, they are sport models I believe 402s, not the 69218's and I question whether they are even genuine. The ones I'm getting have the original Persol Tags dated 1986, have lens stickers on them, and the Persol circular logo is etched in each lens. I paid well over the amount you referred to for my pair.[/quote']Do you mean this guy?http://search.stores.ebay.ca/Vintage-Persol-Vuarnet-Sunglasses_69218_W0QQsaselZ21802452QQsofpZ0I don't doubt that you paid a lot more for them....they were somewhere in the 3-400.00 range in the 80's...

Do you mean this guy?http://search.stores.ebay.ca/Vintage-Persol-Vuarnet-Sunglasses_69218_W0QQsaselZ21802452QQsofpZ0I don't doubt that you paid a lot more for them....they were somewhere in the 3-400.00 range in the 80's...

Yep...if you click on one of his glasses he actually is selling a sport model 402 and not the 69218--they also look like copies.This is what mine look likeEingefügtes Bild

It seems like an odd model to knock off, but you may be right. I notice he calls them402/69218's I know they don't come up very often, so you may fetch a good $$ for them.

After watching 'Viking Bikers from Hell' last night' date=' I have determined they are glossy lenses.[/quote']Jonny, say it ain't so! BTW, assume you meant frames...I'll ck out Viking Bikers as well tonite or tomorrow. Do you recall where in the episode you got the best view?Thnx

Jonny' date=' say it ain't so! BTW, assume you meant frames...I'll ck out Viking Bikers as well tonite or tomorrow. Do you recall where in the episode you got the best view?Thnx[/quote']Yes...I meant Frames, not lenses. He wears them all through the episode, as a matter of fact he may wear them more here than any other ep.

• 1 month later...

That picture from WIEAC makes the frames look more matte than glossy to me. Notice that there's only a little light reflection off the frames above Sonny's left eye.Of course we know that TV prop people modify things to fit the shot or for licensing purposes, so they may have been touched up. Aren't the two vertical lines near the front of the arms black on SC's but gold or silver in "production" 69218's?Anyway, please PM me when you are ready to sell yours - I've recently obtained Revo 840/001's and have Carrera 5512's on the way so the Persols are the only gap in my Vice shades collection:rauchen:

That picture from WIEAC makes the frames look more matte than glossy to me. Notice that there's only a little light reflection off the frames above Sonny's left eye.Of course we know that TV prop people modify things to fit the shot or for licensing purposes' date=' so they may have been touched up. Aren't the two vertical lines near the front of the arms black on SC's but gold or silver in "production" 69218's?Anyway, please PM me when you are ready to sell yours - I've recently obtained Revo 840/001's and have Carrera 5512's on the way so the Persols are the only gap in my Vice shades collection:rauchen:[/quote']You have a keen eye for details, musicmax. I have the shades but have yet to learn the ways of posting on Ebay. I need to educate myself over the weekend and then I'll let the group know. Cheers.

Pretty sure the frames were glossy and the Persol bendy arm pins were blacked out by the production as the glare affects the camera. I know they had to do this on the Bond Persols used in Goldeneye and DAD, so makes sense.

• 5 months later...

The matte versions are the 402's (sport models). Do yours even have the two pin tightening features ? You can clearly see that 69218's have this feature. In WIEAC's Stinger-to-Spyder scene, when Sonny takes the shades off, you can clearly see the tops of each of the pins as the shades slide down his face...69218's can also be seen in Something's Gotta Give, with our buddy Jack Nicholson....Good day!

• 4 months later...

I'm selling some Persol 69218 on Ebay!Hey guys,I saw your discussion on the Persol 69218 shades that DJ wore in season 3. I have a pair in black and the bid is a low $30 right now on Ebay. Here's the Ebay item #: 280339857806 Thanks!