CONGRESSIONAL MEDAL OF HONOR

COOPER&BURNETT

Today, I held my friends, 24k gold Congressional medal of honor. It is heavy!She just got it reciently (unfortunately, it was presented by Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid :p:thumbsdown:). Tom Brokaw was a speaker.She was a WASP ( Women Airforce Service Pilots) PILOT!She flew B-24 and B-17 bombers during WWII. The 1,074 WASP pilots during 1942-1944 were civilians who worked for the Army Air Corps, and flew the planes in the U.S. freeing up the male pilots to fight overseas in the war.When one died during service (38 were killed in accidents in the line of duty), the women wasp pilots themselves pulled money, or family paid for the funeral, as they were not military, so the military didn't pay for it. When the war was over, they paid thier own way home. They fought bigotry from the male pilots during that era. They were pioneers, they ferried the planes, and towed targets. They didn't get Veteran status until 1977.My friend FRANCIS, whom I've known for years, is 88 years old.I just watched it on C-SPAN on the internet.She is my hero. Thank you Francis for being my friend, sharing stories, photos, and letting me hold your gold medal.You will most certainly will be the only person I will ever know, or meet that has won the U.S.'s highest civilian award, the CONGRESSIONAL MEDAL OF HONOR.I honor you my friend. :cheers::fireworks:Thank you Francis for your service to this country.You were absolutely part of the "GREATEST GENERATION".Please take a minute to honor this true hero.

Cooper, Thank You So Very Much for sharing this moment of your friend with us.I really do appreciate it.And to Mrs./Ms. Francis....Congratulations on receiving THE CONGRESSIONAL MEDAL OF HONOR.:clap::clap: It is truly the HIGHEST AWARD given to civilians for their IMPORTANT ROLE in the service of Our Country. And I am thrilled that it was given to such a deserving person like you.THANK YOU MRS./MS. FRANCIS FOR YOUR SERVICE TO OUR GREAT NATION!!!!:clap::clap::clap::clap:It is people like you who make me PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN. THANK YOU!!!!:flowers::cheers::clap::clap::happy:

If enough members post a congrats to Francis, I will print it out, and give it to her. Thanks Maria!

As a person living in a country wich was liberated by the ally forces I am Francis very gratefull for her work during the war. If there weren't people like her we might still live in fear!We should cherish people like Francis!Congratulations with your medal of honor.

Congratulations Francis! I’m from the same country as 2morgen so I know exactly what she means. My Jewish stepfather found it to his cost what a horrible time it was then. Thanks to people like Francis he survived. RESPECT!

Thank you Francis for serving our country. Without brave people like you, we wouldn't have a country. :thumbsup::fireworks::cheers: THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hello my friend,Believe you are referring to the Congressional Gold Medal.Quite nice about the WASPs being honored this way. I remember the Tuskegee Airmen and the Navajo Codetalkers being similarly recognized. There is no better way to experience history than to hear it from a primary source!

Thanks CageyJG. Actually the medal is the civilian version, and it's the highest civilian award the U.S. issues. And yes, it is a congressional gold metal. I believe during the ceremony, it was refered to as THE CONGRESSIONAL MEDAL OF HONOR which is one and the same (I think it's also written on the medal) She is extremely humble, and a hero.Thanks members for saying something nice, if it continues, I will print these pages out, and she will personally read your comments.

Well deserved Francis.From the Buffalo Soldiers to the Tuscegee Airmen and countless others, America seems to forget or neglect to honour those who do good for the country. They seem to be only focused on the few, mostly white anglo saxon heritage, and who wear the uniform of the military. Visible minorities and women are sadly forgotten.Cudos!

In WW2 Finland was officially the enemy of the allied forces due to the circumstances back then. Nevertheless, I want to congratulate you on your achievement! You guys participating in the war in europe was truly an insightful action to make and it really made a diffrence. Thank you for stabilizing things here, you really deserve your medal.