Recent things that make me go hummmmm?

timm525

• Administrators

Just a few thoughts to think about?Here in America we have had for a few years what is called "Red Light Cameras". For those that do not know, they are an automated camera system that have been installed at traffic intersections that the government deems to be "high accident intersections".Now the point of this is that if you are driving through one of these intersections and the light turns red for you, you get a picture of your vehicle's license plate automatically taken and the registered owner of the vehicle is mailed a citation and has to pay a fine for running the red light (whether or not they were actually driving the vehicle at that time).It has been argued that these cameras were installed to save lives. Now I'm sure they have saved a few but I don't for a second think the government is interested in saving me or you. I think they are more interested in sending me or you a ticket to help finance their budget.Why do I say this? Well the same government body here in Florida that has installed them that argue it is to save lives also have a "no helmet law" on the books too. This law exempts motorcycle riders from having to wear a helmet if they carry enough medical insurance. I have no idea what that limit is as I don't ride a motorcycle but I find this one odd. To take that a step further, we also have a "click it or ticket" seat belt law on the books too. At any time, without any other violation, a police office can pull you over and check to see if you are wearing a seat belt or if they see you are not as you drive by, they can then issue you a ticket for not wearing one and you pay a fine.Now I personally believe in wearing a seat belt. I always have and always will, but I find if funny that they argue that seat belts save lives and that is why they are doing it. OK, I agree seat belts do save lives but I find it funny that I'm in a 2000-4000 pound steel cage and I'm required to be seat belted in while some person on a 400-800 pound motorcycle is not required to wear a helmet. To take this one step further, I recently heard on a radio program that a lot of the larger cities around the US have started reducing the time limit on the yellow light so that it turns red faster and therefore takes more pictures of the red light runners and in doing so generates more revenue for the cities they are in. These things are a "cash cow" for cities as they work 24/7/365 days a year.The radio show also stated that a lot of folks are challenging the legality of these cameras and their intended purpose to save lives or generate money.I'd also like to know how much the statistics of rear end collisions are up at these red light camera intersections? I've been rear ended nine times this month already for locking up my brakes when the light turned yellow! :eek: (Just kidding! ;):D )So what do you all think the purpose is, saving lives or generating money?Just a few observations. Rant over. What do you all think?

Here in California, we too have the same law, CLICK IT OR TICKET.I also ALWAYS wear a seatbelt.I find it rather odd that a law there let's motorcycle riders not wear a helmet. In California, it's a law that you must.There are FOUR ways to beat the RED LIGHT CAMERA's (which we also have in California).1. Do what I do, and don't put a front plate on your car. If a light was shortened, and your picture is taken, they will have no idea who owns the car. IF, and I mean IF your car is stopped for not having a plate, the fine in California is $25.00 for a fix it ticket. A VAST difference of the $250.0+ fine for the Red Light Photo. 2. Wear a mask. If they can't make out who, in fact was driving, it's hard to put the blame on you. I don't suggest this, as you'd really be hard up to drive with a mask on JUST in case you run a red light.3. You'll not loose in court if you try this one specific move that has released many, many drivers from a ticket.When you go to court to contest the ticket, ask for a legal right to face your accuser for questioning. (The camera is the accuser). When no camera takes the stand. Legally, you can't be held accountable if there are no witnesses.Many people have gotten out of this for doing this.and 4.This is the MOST important.IMMEDIATELY slow down when you see a traffic light turn yellow, Don't run a red light, and drive the posted speed limit.-COOP

• Administrators
...There are FOUR ways to beat the RED LIGHT CAMERA's (which we also have in California).1. Do what I do' date=' and don't put a front plate on your car. If a light was shortened, and your picture is taken, they will have no idea who owns the car. IF, and I mean IF your car is stopped for not having a plate, the fine in California is $25.00 for a fix it ticket. A VAST difference of the $250.0+ fine for the Red Light Photo. 2. Wear a mask. If they can't make out who, in fact was driving, it's hard to put the blame on you. I don't suggest this, as you'd really be hard up to drive with a mask on JUST in case you run a red light.3. You'll not loose in court if you try this one specific move that has released many, many drivers from a ticket.When you go to court to contest the ticket, ask for a legal right to face your accuser for questioning. (The camera is the accuser). When no camera takes the stand. Legally, you can't be held accountable if there are no witnesses.Many people have gotten out of this for doing this.and 4.This is the MOST important.IMMEDIATELY slow down when you see a traffic light turn yellow, Don't run a red light, and drive the posted speed limit.-COOP[/quote']1. In Florida we do not have front license plates. Only rear and that is where the camera is, behind you. We can not take the rear off or you will be cited for driving without a license plate which I believe is a more serious penalty.2. It is a criminal offense to wear a mask or conceal your face in public. You can and folks have been arrested for this. The ticket goes to the registered owner of the vehicle. They could care less who was at the wheel at that time. You have to fight it out with whomever was driving your vehicle at the time the violation occurred. But you, the registered owner get the ticket.3. This is a good point and I don't know in Florida if drivers have gotten off for this one. I guess it is worth a try. 4. Is the way to go of course.

When you go to court to contest the ticket' date=' ask for a legal right to face your accuser for questioning. (The camera is the accuser). When no camera takes the stand. Legally, you can't be held accountable if there are no witnesses.Many people have gotten out of this for doing this.and 4.This is the MOST important.IMMEDIATELY slow down when you see a traffic light turn yellow, Don't run a red light, and drive the posted speed limit.-COOP[/quote']These two I endorse.I prefer number 4. I have never recieved a moving violation in the 24 years of driving sports cars. (or any cars) I follow traffic laws.There are many cases in California where people fight back with the FACE YOUR ACCUSER idea, and win.In California, we're required to have a front, and back licence plate. The camera here only takes front plate photos.

Just a word of advise to those who don't know.DON'T join a class action lawsuit.The ONLY one who makes any money, is the lawyers.Trust me I'm a.........Eingefügtes Bild / Law offices.

Cameras like the one you mentioned are also used in Germany, timm. Some are build up at traffic lights others are build up at the side of the roads with restricted speed limit. Our laws are the same as in America. If one gets caught the car owner receives the ticket, no matter whether he was the driver or not.So, my poor father - in - law always gets the tickets if my daughter had been driving too fast or had forgotten to put the parking disc onto her dash - board because he´s the car owner.You also have to pay a fine here if you´re not wearing a seat - belt. Sometimes, the police only stopps cars of people who have children on the back seats to find out the children are wearing seat - belts.What I don´t understand is why motorcycle riders with enough medical insurance needn´t to wear a helmet in Florida. I know that some motorcycle riders will be angry about my statement, but I claim that most of them often drive too fast and risky.What happens if a motorcycle rider without a helmet causes an accident and others get injured or killed? In my opinion, these cameras do both, they save lives (sometimes), but the government also fills the budget with the money you and I have to pay.

• Administrators

How ironic, from today's paper.Click ---> hereI love the ending paragraph."...Even though red-light cameras are expected to bring Hillsborough about $200,000 per month, they were not designed to raise revenue, McKinnon said. The fines – minus vendor fees and the cost of having a deputy review the videos – go to the county's general fund, said Eric Johnson, the county's budget director."It's all about safety," McKinnon said."Yeah, right! :thumbsdown:

We've had red-light cameras in many problematic intersections here in Toronto for years too. Before they used to install them in major intersections but the last few years they've been adding them to areas that are near schools to throw people off guard. I'm sure they do do their jobs and if not smile for the camera and you'll get the photo sent to your home along with the ticket. Hey, the pix don't lie so trying to prove it wasn't you won't work in court. And we have our plates on both the front and the back of our vehicles here. Oh and I do agree that those red-light cameras change to red faster than other lights do.As for the seatbelts, well that's been in affect here forever. Although the fines have increases for all these things all over the board. The helmet law (for motorcycles) here is that everyone must wear a helmet regardless of what type of medical insurance coverage they've got. The last few years, the province has incorporated a new law called 'stunt driving' (or street racing) which applies to people driving 50km over the speed limit. You get a hefty fine, your lisence is suspended for a week, and your car is impounded for the same amount of time. Yikes! :eek: Also the latest law that's come into effect here is banning all 'electronically hand-held devices' (cell phones, dvd players, gps, etc.). You should see what some of these people do! One guy was watching a 'stimulating movie' on his DVD player! Ugh! :eek: Unless you're making a 911 call that's an exception. But if you're caught (like many still haven't learned their lessons) you'll be paying for it. Why don`t people learn their lessons and just pull over to the side of the road.

They don´t learn their lessons because they think that they will never get caught. And most of them are right. Every day, when my colleague and I are on the way to collect the children we carry to the school for disabled children, I see many people using their cell phone while driving. If I could stop them to collect these 60 Euro one has to pay for using his cell phone, I would earn a lot of money every day!

It's worse to jam on your brake, especially on wet roads, as the light turns yellow & then red as you exit the intersection, than to keep your speed & go through......but a cop or a camera won't agree.

• Administrators
Now I personally believe in wearing a seat belt. I always have and always will' date=' but I find if funny that they argue that seat belts save lives and that is why they are doing it. [/quote']When it comes to seat belts Bill Cosby said it best. "They're not interested in your safety, the ambulance driver is too lazy to look for the body"