Miami Vice at its peak

Guest myonlyvice

Guest myonlyvice

I realize this question/topic has been asked many, many times, but lately I've been thinking a lot about this. After careful consideration, I really believe that season 2 is Miami Vice at its best. Most all the kinks from season one had been worked out and the series was still in the prime of its youth with Mann at the helm. The music, the stories, the style, everything is in focus. "Florence, Italy" and "French Twist" are the only episodes that are semi-weak, no others in my opinion. Everything else is astounding. On the original DVDs, the material on disc two represents the best episodes from this, the best season. Season one is great, but season two edges it out, and it's not easy to say that. I know when it first aired season two had its detractors but, for the life of me, I can't understand what they were complaining about. Some said it was just more of the same, but what's wrong with more of perfection? How many others here put season two on top?

I tend to agree.The colours and the interior shots of fancy houses etc were very stylish and truly MV for sure. The story lines were good and it kept pace.Season three started to get off base a bit, but still had its strengths. I hear it was from production costs and some of three and season four were shot indoors to save money. I missed the outdoor shots of Art Deco and neon.Season five for me was not as interesting however I did love the ending two part and the closing scene with "Have ya ever thought about a career in southern law enforcement?" What a classic line.....Kind of made up for the terrible "Miracle Man" and the other slow episodes.

Although, I STILL prefer season one as my favorite, I CANNOT argue with you, and DO agree that season 2 was the most polished, best put together of all the seasons. It's when the series had all 12 cylinders running, It's the season that had the most viewers, vice was at it's highth and it looked and sounding perfect.I LOVE season 2!!!:thumbsup:

X2 on that COOP, I totally agree with you. I really got into season three during the discussion and praised how polished and poised it was coming and becoming 'complete' as in all the detail then for grins I tossed in a season two disk one day and completely brought me back...Yeah, Season two is simply the best season and all the seasons for that matter have something great to contribute to the series, just season two just rises above...Mike

Guest neworder

For me Season 2 is easily the best year for Miami Vice too. Everything was perfectly put together, it was also Vice's most popular year.Some people on here have stated that the stories lack the depth of some of Season 3's, which is probably true, but the style/music/action etc are so immense that I don't care about the story. On a ratings front too, the worst Season 2 episode for me scored a 6/10. In Season 1 I couldn't stand The Maze which got a 3/10, the rest of the season is very good though, and then Season 3 has an extremely weak 2nd half bottoming with a 2/10, Season 4 will also bottom out at 2/10 and Season 5 will unfortunatly bottom out at 1/10 because of Leap of Crap. So just from my ratings, Season 2 for me is the only season that manages not to have at-least one crap episode whereas the rest do.

I much prefer S1 to S2. S2 is what people are talking about when they say "style over substance". There's plenty of great music, clothes, scenes, etc., but in retrospect, I just wasn't as impressed with the season on repeat viewings from a storyline standpoint. There's a bit too much flash or music just for the hell of it (case in point: El Debarge in Bought And Paid For), while I found myself getting lost trying to follow the plotline.S1, on the other hand, while not quite as flashy (but still groundbreakingly stylish), and it took a few episodes to really find it's footing, but was by and large IMO far stronger as far as storylines go. While there's a handful of truly great S2 eps, I find S1 overwhelmingly strong as far as excellent eps are concerned. Only Little Prince let me down a bit. Brother's Keeper, Heart Of Darkness, No Exit, Milk Run, Smuggler's Blues, The Home Invaders, Evan, Lombard, pretty much the whole season is excellent. I just don't get the same feeling with S2.That's not say S2 is a waste. Not by any means. Just that as time has went on I find myself less and less impressed by it. Frankly, I prefer the style-WITH-substance of S1, or the gritty hopelessness S5. I think even S3 is superior to S2. All IMO, of course.

Early Season 3 was spot on for me - the music and cinematography was almost film-like.Compare Season 2 to early Season 3 and they look like they were made years apart - not 9 months!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

End of Season 1, start of Season 2. Aspects of Season 3 were pretty good, but to me everything went downhill after they blew up the original Ferrari! Also anyone notice the music really started to suck (not Jan Hammer's so much but the popular music). From "In the Air Tonight" to "There's a River" to ??? music in season 4. I'm really noticing it as I'm watching all eps on Hulu in order - and I'm on S4 now. I remember it being very hip but I don't like Crockett's long hair too.