Jaime Escalante dies at 79 ~ EJO Stand and Deliver

DJAngel

Jaime Escalante dies at 79; math teacher who challenged East L.A. students to 'Stand and Deliver'He became America's most famous teacher after a 1988 movie portrayed his success at mentoring working-class pupils at Garfield High to pass a rigorous national calculus exam. He died of cancer.OBITUARYMarch 31, 2010|By Elaine WooJaime Escalante, the charismatic former East Los Angeles high school teacher who taught the nation that inner-city students could master subjects as demanding as calculus, died Tuesday. He was 79.The subject of the 1988 film "Stand and Deliver," Escalante died at his son's home in Roseville, Calif., said actor Edward James Olmos, who portrayed the teacher in the film. Escalante had bladder cancer. LA Times March 31, 2010On October 10, 1987, we drove to the Mill Valley Film Festival in San Rafael, California, to see "Stand and Deliver", and we were thrilled to see Eddie Olmos at that showing. Eddie was very nice to the fans, as you can see from the pictures. Bravo to Eddie playing such an inspirational character.Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bild

Jamie Escalante Dies at 79Stand and Deliver was an amazing story about an inspirational teacher. I was so impressed with Olmos' performance! And I love the pictures of him giving autographs and being available to the fans! Thanks for sharing. I loved it!MJ

Great pictures! They said on the news that Jaime claimed the movie was 90% true to life. EJO looks so much younger when he's not in the black suit and frowning!

• Administrators

Great movie, fantastic performance by Olmos! I was sad to read he's gone. :cry:

I was passing thru channels the day he died, and came across a spanish station, and EJO was speaking fluent Spanish!First time I have heard him speak it fluently. I figured he could, just never heard it.As usual DJAngel, your photos are off the charts good!THANK GOD for you, and your willingness to share with us fans.P.S., I love BRIAN DENNEHY's blazer!!! (I'd even wear it in a walmart lol)