Tubbs's New York accent

Guest myonlyvice

Guest myonlyvice

I've always been curious about Tubbs's accent. It seemed particularly strong in the pilot episode and then perhaps weaker as the seasons progressed. Even though I'm not from there, I've always thought his accent sounded odd. It was unlike like the accents of other people I've heard from various parts of New York, both the city and the state. I'm wondering how others here would assess Tubbs's accent, particularly those from that area. Is it authentic-sounding? I'm sure Ferrariman being from NJ will be able to speak from experience on the matter. By the way, I have another language question: is Tubbs's correct as the possessive form of Tubbs? The 's looks so weird at the end of his name. I'm not even sure how to pronounce it.

• Administrators

Don't know about the accent but the "s's" is incorrect as far as I know.It should be Tubbs' Since the name ends in the plural form, then an apostrophe is all that is required.Edit: Well, according to Wikipedia it can go either way according to which writing format you go by. I never used an extra "s" in the case above, but that was the way my school taught when I was growing up. Click ---> here"...Singular nouns ending with an “s” or “z” soundThis subsection deals with singular nouns pronounced with a sibilant sound at the end: /s/ or /z/. The spelling of these ends with -s, -se, -z, -ze, -ce, -x, or -xe.Many respected sources have required that practically all singular nouns, including those ending with a sibilant sound, have possessive forms with an extra s after the apostrophe. Examples include the Modern Language Association and The Economist.[14] Such sources would demand possessive singulars like these: Senator Jones's umbrella; Mephistopheles's cat. On the other hand, some modern writers omit the extra s in all cases, and Chicago Manual of Style allows this as an “alternative practice”.[15] Generally, Chicago Manual of Style is in line with the majority of current guides, and recommends the traditional practice but provides for several exceptions to accommodate spoken usage, including the omission of the extra s after a polysyllabic word ending in a sibilant.[16] Rules that modify or extend the standard principle have included the following:If the singular possessive is difficult or awkward to pronounce with an added sibilant, do not add an extra s; these exceptions are supported by The Guardian,[17] Emory University's writing center,[18] and The American Heritage Book of English Usage.[19] Such sources permit possessive singulars like these: Socrates' later suggestion; James's house, or James' house, depending on which pronunciation is intended. Classical, biblical, and similar names ending in a sibilant, especially if they are polysyllabic, do not take an added s in the possessive; among sources giving exceptions of this kind are The Times[20] and The Elements of Style, which make general stipulations, and Vanderbilt University,[21] which mentions only Moses and Jesus. As a particular case, Jesus' is very commonly written instead of Jesus's – even by people who would otherwise add 's in, for example, James's or Chris's. Jesus' is referred to as “an accepted liturgical archaism” in Hart's Rules..."

• Administrators

Rico's accent always seemed a little excessive to me, almost forced but it was the worst in the first few episodes. "Heart Of Darkness" immediately comes to mind. In later seasons it does sound better (unless we were just getting used to hearing it)and yes it would be Tubbs' not Tubbs's

Rico's accent always seemed a little excessive to me' date=' almost forced but it was the worst in the first few episodes. "Heart Of Darkness" immediately comes to mind. In later seasons it does sound better (unless we were just getting used to hearing it)and yes it would be Tubbs' not Tubbs's[/quote']Yeah, I recall him saying "New Yaaawk" om several occasions. A bit overblown IMO.

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostrophe">

here"...Singular nouns ending with an “s†or “z†soundThis subsection deals with singular nouns pronounced with a sibilant sound at the end: /s/ or /z/. The spelling of these ends with -s, -se, -z, -ze, -ce, -x, or -xe.Many respected sources have required that practically all singular nouns, including those ending with a sibilant sound, have possessive forms with an extra s after the apostrophe. Examples include the Modern Language Association and The Economist.[14] Such sources would demand possessive singulars like these: Senator Jones's umbrella; Mephistopheles's cat. On the other hand, some modern writers omit the extra s in all cases, and Chicago Manual of Style allows this as an “alternative practiceâ€.[15] Generally, Chicago Manual of Style is in line with the majority of current guides, and recommends the traditional practice but provides for several exceptions to accommodate spoken usage, including the omission of the extra s after a polysyllabic word ending in a sibilant.[16] Rules that modify or extend the standard principle have included the following:If the singular possessive is difficult or awkward to pronounce with an added sibilant, do not add an extra s; these exceptions are supported by The Guardian,[17] Emory University's writing center,[18] and The American Heritage Book of English Usage.[19] Such sources permit possessive singulars like these: Socrates' later suggestion; James's house, or James' house, depending on which pronunciation is intended. Classical, biblical, and similar names ending in a sibilant, especially if they are polysyllabic, do not take an added s in the possessive; among sources giving exceptions of this kind are The Times[20] and The Elements of Style, which make general stipulations, and Vanderbilt University,[21] which mentions only Moses and Jesus. As a particular case, Jesus' is very commonly written instead of Jesus's – even by people who would otherwise add 's in, for example, James's or Chris's. Jesus' is referred to as “an accepted liturgical archaism†in Hart's Rules..."

Timm, I had no idea you were so scholarly....:cheers:

• Administrators

Me either, but one tries! Must be that law degree from Harvard that I never got! ;)

Thanks for doing that research' date=' Tim. Was his accent completely put on or was PMT from that part of the US?[/quote']I forgot where ... but he was from a mid western state, I believe.I say New Yawk also, but I exaggerate it to sound like Tubbs.