Don Johnson look popularity

Viceguy

There is one question that I want to know answer for.I 'll be grateful if somebody answers it.I have heard many times that Miami Vice look (or Sonny Crockett's if be more precise) was a huge fad in the mid 80s (at least in the USA).But is it true that men all over the USA was trying to sport that look?Was it widespread thing amongst males or more of "within- TV" kind of thing?I have already got very different answers.Some say "yes,streets were crowded with men in pastels",while some people state otherwise.So,I got a bit bewildered by that diversity of answers.Please,anybody who lived in the USA in the 80s,share your memories!

Well, like most things, not EVERY man wore the vice look.It was a common site though. Guys in school here and there wore either the jacket and t shirt combo (usually white jacket, blue shirt), and people did wear pastels. Pastels were showing up on stores shelves when the show's popularity took off, so there was a greater chance that people who bought clothes (even if they were not watching MIAMI VICE) were buying what the stores were offering. (Sometimes fashion is dictated by clothes makers are selling.) It was new, and interesting at the time too!I'd say, more commonly, that people in the 80's looked more like extras on vice. Nothing too overdone, but color sure was in style! So was new wave.People in say, Alaska most likely didn't wear the styles, but in California, and Florida, there was a lot of VICE inspired type clothing.Not everyone walked in looking like sonny crockett. For the most part, the majority of people in the U.S. did not dress vice like. But with the 80's, color in clothes is what was available, and many incorporated something (even if it was a tie) that had color.Hope that helps!-COOP

I think the unshaven look caught on with Vice and Don Johnson. It was also an excuse not to shave every day.:D

In the 80's, I worked for Western Electric, installing Central Offices for N.Y.Tel. Co. We all wore jeans, flannel shirts or Ban-lon.I watched Miami Vice but wasn't into the hair or clothes.....until the late 90's reruns. :cool:

The vice look in Kentucky and IndianaWell I'm ashamed to say that in the 80's I was too busy to watch much tv and Miami vice wasn't on my list except occasionally. That being said, My best friends and I were always hitting the nightclubs here in Bloomington, Indiana, Indianapolis, Indiana and Lousville Kentucky. Many of these places had music videos on to kill time until the band came on, so we were immersed in the 80's style of music and videos. There were a mixture of looks, but Pastel colors were being sold every where for men and women. Many guys had the jackets over the t-shirts, and the 'DJ stubble' Many women were in biright pastels, or bright color dresses, shirts, and slacks with those huge shoulder pads. and the mousseed hair for both guys and gals. I, myslelf used mouse and had my short blonde hair permed. So even here in Midwest Indiana we were immersed in the Miami-Vice looks. The clubs also had the neon lights in pastel Pink and blue in many areas.1983-1986 (age: 30-33) in 1987 I began my masters in Library science and I didn't go to the clubs as much, so i'm only talking those years.City lights Louiville KentuckyPicadilliy's Indianapolis, IndianaVogue Indianapolis (Broad Ripple) IndianaYe Ole Regulator Bloomington, INBlue Bird (on some nights) Bloomington, INOscar's/Jakes Bloomington, IN

I was there in the 80's and let me tell you it happened as you suspect.Men actually wore pink!!! unheard of before MV... It actually became cool?Yes they wore the jackets and the sockless footwear. I was one of them and hate to admit it but still am..............MV was a huge influence on fashion and got men out of jeans and checkered shirts for sure.

Thank you all for your friendly answers & memories from the past.It's a pleasure for me to know for sure that Vice style really was in vogue in the 80s!

No other show that I can remember had as much influence on fashion as MV did.........Other shows had lavish costumes but you would never be caught dead wearing it in public. I can think of ten different cop shows of the era but MV set a trend yet to be matched or surpassed.Everyone dressed the part back in the eighties from yuppies to geeks

• Administrators

The Crockett look was very big in New Jersey. I personally didn't wear it but many did. The fad (for lack of a better term) became so popular that many upscale restaurants actually posted signs that said "No Miami Vice" meaning no T-shirt and jacket.

The Crockett look was very big in New Jersey. I personally didn't wear it but many did. The fad (for lack of a better term) became so popular that many upscale restaurants actually posted signs that said "No Miami Vice" meaning no T-shirt and jacket.

"No T-Shirt and Jacket". And I see people going out now in singlets and shorts and they get let into clubs.I was 15 when Miami Vice hit Australia and it did change fashion here too. I still remmember the local Target store selling cheap jackets and pants in the styles and pastel colours. It definately changed mens fashion more than any other show.

• 6 months later...
Some say "yes' date='streets were crowded with men in pastels",while some people state otherwise.So,I got a bit bewildered by that diversity of answers.Please,anybody who lived in the USA in the 80s,share your memories![/quote'] The style was based from what was around here in Florida at the time, and after the show hit there were a lot of us that dressed the style, maybe not exactly like Sonny Crockett, but the general style of the time, and yes, pastels were very common. One of the first times it was cool for guys to wear those colors especially pink.As you can imagine, budget was a limitation because in my case I was just out of high school, and working a crappy job, but trying to look as cool as possible. (had a cool 280z to style around in :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Although i was not alive in the 1980's, my parents told me that Don Johnson's look was very popular at the time. I must admit that i think Don Johnson's image back in the 1980's looks cool even today. :cool:

I had the Crockett look from the 5th season around 1988-89...my hair was about the same length and it was all the rage back then, 32 waist, linen jacket, loved it...and then the show was cancelled...

I'm dressing like Sonny more now than ever! :cool: Here in NPR Florida, people go to parties & restaurants in shorts & shoddy street clothes. It would be an improvement to see them with T-shirt & jacket

Although i was not alive in the 1980's' date=' my parents told me that Don Johnson's look was very popular at the time. I must admit that i think Don Johnson's image back in the 1980's looks cool even today. :cool:[/quote']It was so popular....I'm still wearing the look today!....then again, I think I'm Sonny Crockett. :)

Is there room for two of us?

Of course! There is room for us all!Anyone who wants to be Sonny Crockett can be.We are all MIAMI VICE FANS! :thumbsup: