a book that Vice fans may want to check out

Guest myonlyvice

Guest myonlyvice

It's called "Miami Babylon" (2009) by Gerald Posner. It talks about the history of the city and many of its key players on both sides of the law. It also discusses the impact Miami Vice made on the city of Miami in some detail. Sometimes it drones on a bit about certain real estate and revitalization efforts but the parts where it goes into the the real lives of the so-called "cocaine cowboys" and other players like Don Aronow are extremely interesting. Anybody familiar with shooting locations of the show would find the references to all the famous hotels like the Senator and other landmarks fascinating as well. Has anybody else read this? I'd like to hear other opinions.

Guest myonlyvice

I saw that book listed a while back and posted about it here--http://www.miami-vice.ws/showthread.php?t=2283I too would love to hear any input on the book. Thanks for bringing it up again; I may break down and buy it.

I checked my copy out from my university library. For a Vice fan though, I think it might be worth owning. Some of the stories are just incredible, wildly entertaining just like an episode of our favorite show. Even when Vice is not being referenced, it's easy to see the intimate connection between the location and the people who live(d) there on one hand and the show on the other hand. It's still fairly new so I don't know if it's available in paperback yet. Hardbacks are so expensive but if you don't mind shelling out the dough, I think most members here would really dig it. I was unable to put it down.

Thanks, will try and track it down over here.I got a book years ago. I think it was in the late 80's. It was called "MIAMI City of the future" By T.D. ALLMAN Not sure if it is still available, probaly find it on Amazon or the like. Had a fare bit in it about not only the city but also miami vice. Yaers since I read it, but I did like it. Maby similar.

I would love to see some images from the book if anyone has any.I wonder if the author is trying to say that Miami was chaotic by calling it Babylon. I don't know much about Babylon except that the Tower of Babel was there. Oh, and this great video was filmed there: Link :radio:

There are a whole series of books by Imogen Edwards and Anonymous called *** Babylon. The concept of her books is that she talks to people in the industry she is writing about (Airline/Hotel/Fashion/Wedding) and then takes all their stories and makes them all happen in the one place... so you get Hotel Babylon, Airline Babylon etc... this could be the concept that Gerald Posner is using... just a thought.