Law & Order Canceled

Frey

I assume you mean the original "Law and Order." This is a landmark TV moment...as "Law and Order" is the longest running cop-drama in TV history!! "Hawaii Five-0" (one of my all-time favorites besides "MV"!) held that record until 2003 when "L&O" finally passed it up."Hawaii Five-0" was on for 12 seasons (1968-1980). "Law and Order" started in 1990 and hit their 13th season (passing "5-0" up) in 2003. However, unlike "5-0" or "MV", "L&O" had so many cast changes no one from the beginning is left.I'm wondering if "CSI" will eventually pass "L&O" up?? Anyway, personally I wish shows could be more like "MV" and "5-0" again...I'm tired of all this soap-opera type crap with the main characters and all this "dark" sick stuff that most crimes shows are now. We need some awesome retro to liven and even brighten things up again! :thumbsup:

• Administrators

"Gunsmoke" actually held the record of the longest running drama being on for 20 seasons and back then they ran 30+ episodes per season. L&O tied with 20 seasons this year.As for CSI: I seriously doubt they will come close. The show has jumped the shark already since Petersen left.

"Gunsmoke" actually held the record of the longest running drama being on for 20 seasons and back then they ran 30+ episodes per season. L&O tied with 20 seasons this year.As for CSI: I seriously doubt they will come close. The show has jumped the shark already since Petersen left.
Yes' date=' [u']"Gunsmoke" actually was the longest running TV show PERIOD, in TV history--running 20 seasons (1955-1975), and yes "Law and Order" tied that too this seaon (1990-2010)! Wild! :eek:Before, I was actually referring to the specific genre of cop-drama or crime-drama ("Miami Vice", "Hawaii Five-0", and "Law and Order" all fit in this genre), as "Gunsmoke" was a western. "5-0" was the longest running cop-drama until "L&O" passed it up back in '03. Now, it's tied "Gunsmoke" too--pretty amazing!As for "CSI"--I loved that show when it first started and the first several seasons are awesome! But, when they started killing off and having original cast members leave it did lose some of it's "captivation." It's still going though, along with its spin-offs, so I don't know about 20 years, but I bet it'll go for quite a while yet. The original "CSI" hit its 10th season this year.As for 30 some episodes in some of the older shows...one of the first crime dramas (and the first version of what "Law & Order" eventually became) was "Perry Mason." The first couple seasons of it have over 40 episodes a season! :confused: Those people worked non-stop with hardly any breaks or sleep! :sleep:

Sorry to get off topic here, but I loved Hawaii Five-O. I watched it mostly in reruns since I was born in '72, but it was a great show. In season one of Magnum, P.I., there is a mention of McGarrett with Five O, or something along those lines. Since I am a Magnum fan too, I always thought that was cool.

• Administrators
For tv shows overall' date=' I think The Simpsons is on its way to breaking a record.[/quote']It kindof already has. Even though it's animated "The Simpsons" are in their 22nd season right now making it the longest running prime time show.

Exactly...the first 3-4 years were the best!

For tv shows overall' date=' I think The Simpsons is on its way to breaking a record.[/quote']Yeah, this is true. I'll be honest here and say though, that even though "The Simpsons" aired in primetime time-slots it's mostly considered still just a cartoon. Even though it had immense popularity (especially during the first several years...I haven't really heard much about it in years and I didn't even realize it was still on) it's still considered an animated cartoon and not usually what is considered a "real" TV show for primetime--mostly I think because...it's not real people and the episodes are basically an "SNL" type of thing. Speaking of which...if we are going to take into account of ALL shows period, then actually "Gunsmoke" isn't the longest running show...but "SNL" is, as it's in its 35th season! Usually when thinking of what we consider a "real" TV show then it's mostly dramas, adventures, and sitcoms...non-animated with real people and more realistic (to a degree) plots or episodes. But, if we take into account all shows then I guess "The Simpsons" would come in second...next to "SNL."

Sorry to get off topic here' date=' but I loved Hawaii Five-O. I watched it mostly in reruns since I was born in '72, but it was a great show. In season one of Magnum, P.I., there is a mention of McGarrett with Five O, or something along those lines. Since I am a Magnum fan too, I always thought that was cool.[/quote']Awesome you brought all this up! Off topic or not these two shows, and "Miami Vice" do have a lot in common! All 3 shows used color, tropical locations, and immensely popular theme songs ("5-0" probably having the most popular and best remembered) to their advantage--creating 3 of the most memorable shows ever!! "MV" however, was able to do something that previous shows had not though...and that was using real songs by popular singers/artists in the background of the episodes. Anyway, I love "Hawaii Five-0" and am buying all of the DVD sets as they're released (also have episodes on tape and an old "homemade" DVD set too--have seen every episode but the official DVD sets are the ultimate and superb way to go with that show with color and sound) . I also loved and grew up with "Magnum, p.i.!" I have the complete show on DVD and the quality of those are awesome too! Actually, even though it is not a direct spin-off of "5-0," "Magnum" is sort of a spin-off! When "5-0" was finally cancelled in the spring of 1980 CBS still had all the filming locations and studios in Hawaii but no show to use them with. So, writers scrambled to come up with something and decided that instead of a full police force, a show could be about the more personable and intricate life of a "quirky" private investigator--they came up with "Magnum!" The estate used as the Robin Masters Estate in "Magnum" was used a ton in different episodes of "5-0" first.They also did purposely mention McGarrett and 5-0 as the state police force in the first couple seasons of "Magnum"--as veiwers were still used to that show as the Hawaii one, so-to-speak. Producers even tried to get Jack Lord to come back and guest-star as McGarett again on a few episodes of "Magnum"--but after "5-0" was cancelled he became sort of a recluse and refused...hardly ever making public appearances until his death of heart failure in 1998 (10 years after even "Magnum" had been cancelled).So we're not completely off topic here...I'm still not sure how "Law & Order" lasted as long as it did? It was good, especially in its first several seasons, but there were so many cast changes over the years, it was the same thing over and over, and how many shows over the years of TV have used New York as the city or location? It was a good show and I used to occasionally watch several years ago...but I'm just surprised it lasted 20 years. I really liked shows like "5-0," "Magnum," and "MV" because I love tropical locations (they're more exotic and mysterious/interesting than crowded, dirty cities with no "color"--my opinion) and the cases/episodes were always something different and many times unexpected--you never quite knew what was going to happen. With "Law & Order" you pretty much knew from the first few minutes. But, to each his or her own...everybody has their opinions and likes/dislikes!

Thanks for the information ViceFanMan! I loved Hawaii Five-O and Magnum, P.I. I only have the first season of each on dvd, but I plan on getting them all. I do have all five seasons of Miami Vice on dvd...lol.I agree with you about the locations adding to the whole viewing experience. To me, these three shows, with their tropical atmosphere, really the environment was a character. I mean think about it with the three. The Islands offer such a rich and diverse environment, and in some ways, they seem almost foreign to many of us. There is a lot of mystery and intrigue associated with the curses and such that are part of Hawaii. Plus the islands are a natural stop for drugs coming from Asia I would think.Miami has an almost tropical type weather and the city itself is almost like a living entity. I always said the other star of the show was the city of Miami. I have several pictures of the skyline, especially at night. Sometimes I gaze at them and listen to "In the Air Tonight", etc. Corny maybe but I like it!Palm trees are obviously present in all three shows, and I grew up associating them with these shows. As a result, I grow several varieties in my yard and on the side to sell. I apologize for straying so far off topic.

Thanks for the information ViceFanMan! I loved Hawaii Five-O and Magnum' date=' P.I. I only have the first season of each on dvd, but I plan on getting them all. I do have all five seasons of Miami Vice on dvd...lol.I agree with you about the locations adding to the whole viewing experience. To me, these three shows, with their tropical atmosphere, really the environment was a character. I mean think about it with the three. The Islands offer such a rich and diverse environment, and in some ways, they seem almost foreign to many of us. There is a lot of mystery and intrigue associated with the curses and such that are part of Hawaii. Plus the islands are a natural stop for drugs coming from Asia I would think.Miami has an almost tropical type weather and the city itself is almost like a living entity. I always said the other star of the show was the city of Miami. I have several pictures of the skyline, especially at night. Sometimes I gaze at them and listen to "In the Air Tonight", etc. Corny maybe but I like it!Palm trees are obviously present in all three shows, and I grew up associating them with these shows. As a result, I grow several varieties in my yard and on the side to sell. I apologize for straying so far off topic.[/quote']Scot from S.C.,I could not say it any better!! You've captured and stated everything I think too, about the tropical locations and islands! When "Hawaii Five-0" was still going strong, many magazines and promos stated that the Hawaiian islands were actually the main character--and this used to anger Jack Lord something terrible, as he considered himself the main character! ;) "5-0" has been credited for helping enhance Hawaii's tourist trade and interest beyond what it ever could have been during the late 60's and 70's...and really to this day (as a new updated version of "5-0" is supposed to start this next fall). It's also been said that "MV" helped save much of the old art deco historical buildings in Miami...as a lot of it was going to be torn down before the popularity of the show took off and everyone wanted to go there.As for listening to Phil Collins while looking at skyline pics of nighttime Miami being corny...well I have a whole display of show memoribailia set up right now as I'm having another "MV" marathon! Here's my corniness:I have of course all 5 DVD sets set up in a row in the middle, two different sets of the action figures set up on each side of the display--complete with guns, money, Crockett's trademark tourtise shell Wayfarers and Lucky Strike cigarettes, Elvis, and I even made my own fake cocaine packettes (with flour from my kitchen-LOL!) as the blue blobs of plastic that came with the set, that were supposed to be cocaine packettes sucked! I even have display model palm trees behind each set-up of action figures and some model flamingos too. In the middle of the display I have a 1:18 diecast model of Crockett's white 1986 Ferrari Testarossa! Something a little more odd or strange with my collection are several vintage postcards (from around the mid 1950's to early 1960's and purchased from ebay) of the Blue Waters Hotel--the old abandoned hotel in "The Maze" and "French Twist." I have each one of those set up on top of each of the DVD sets. I also have the "Miami Vice II" soundtrack CD in the display as well. Then I have several 8x10 pictures of the cast...as well as a 24x36 and a 27x40 sized posters--the 27x40 one is actually a big blow-up of the "MV II" soundtrack picture with Johnson and Thomas by the Testarossa. I also have many vintage "MV" TV Guides and the "MV" boardgame in the display too. All of this is around me as I watch each episode!Okay...I'm obsessed, LOL! :) Anyway, lately I've also been listening to the "MV" soundtrack again in my car on the way to work everyday. So, nothing is corny when it comes to shows like "MV", "5-0", or "Magnum" in my opinion! :cool:

• 2 months later...

Jeff Zucker is a terrible Network Executive, who has basically comitted numerous blunders while running NBC.The Mothership was on the verge of breaking Gunsmoke's record, all they needed was 0NE more season. The show should've been picked up for final season, premitting them to break the record.Then gave this landmark show a proper sendoff.