does the "ws" in ".ws" stand for "Western Samoa"? and other website lore

Guest myonlyvice

Guest myonlyvice

This may be addressed in a sticky somewhere on the site. I looked but couldn't find one, though. Could somebody please sketch a brief history of this site's genesis? Most who have been here for some time are aware it was an offshoot of a site whose domain rhymes with the second syllable of "cyborg". Such background info would be good to have for newcomers in a sticky.

• Administrators

Well, I wouldn't quite call us an offshoot of that "other site" but I guess I can thank them for making this site a reality. Back in late '08 there were a lot of changes over at the "other site" which eventually led to my dismissal as moderator. I won't go into the dirty details, there are enough members who can fill you in without bringing it all up again.During this time Chris, the owner of .info (the German Vice site) was looking to start an English language version of .info. During a visit to Miami, Chris met up with miamijimf. At the time, the future of the "other site" was unsure. miamijimf told me about Chris' idea and asked me if I'd be interested in running his new Vice site. He introduced me to Chris and the rest, as they say, is history. The scary part is that at the time I was so dedicated to the "other site" that I almost said no! I have to say that I've never before worked with such a dedicated group of Vice fans! I've been associated with a lot of Vice sites over the years and this one is simply head and shoulders above the rest! .ws literally went from an idea to a reality in just over a week! That's damn impressive! We are now in our third year online with new things still being added every single day! The key to our success is no big secret. All of the talented members that work here behind the scenes love what they do! It's as simple as that! That's something you won't find over at the "other site"and to answer your initial question, yes, .ws does stand for Western SamoaIt was the only domain available at the time. I do like Wesson & Smith though! ;)

• Administrators

I once said it stood for "Winning Site" Hey, why don't we run with this?! Let us know what you think .ws should stand for!

• Administrators

OK gang,Just for the fun of it I added a poll to this thread.Keep 'em coming and I'll add more as we get more suggestions.Thanks!

Here's a few more.Miami beach has .....White Sand.The Bad Guys sell White Stuff.However, I still prefer "Wayfarer Sunglasses."! :)

There are some pretty good choices here Gang:clap::thumbsup:!!!!However....I went with the one that I came up with.Miami-Vice.ws....Miami Vice With Style;)!!!! Doesn't it just roll off the tongue:):D!!!!

Here's Another Idea....WS....Without Stress!!!!Those who come from the "other site" would probably agree with this one;).

miami-vice.ws: miami-vice.white stuff - On Vice:Their coats are whiteTheir replacement car is whiteTheir "unprescribed illegal powdery substance" is whiteTheir surveillance guys are whiteAt Vice, they love white, if it wasn't for the white powder, they wouldn't be in business, if it wasn't for the white coats they would haven't any fashion sense, if it wasn't for the white car, they'd be busting bad guys in a bugmobile, if it wasn't for the surveillance guys, they'd be clueless as to what the perps were doing, they owe a lot to the color white.Here's a salute to the color white!:fireworks::cheers::clap: