Ray-Ban Wayfarers Question

codemaster94

Right now, I'm going to buy either the 2140 model with a Tortoise frame and B-15 XLT lenses. I want to know if this is the same model as Sonny's or if the 2151 model, which has square lenses, is Sonny's model.I know that he had 2050's, 2052's, and 2054's. I also know that the lenses were a dark rose color for close-ups so the camera & crew wouldn't be seen.I just want to know if he wore 2140's, or 2152's, which one is more similar.Here's the link for the 2140: http://www.ray-ban.com/usa/products/rb2140/954Here's the link for the 2152: http://www.ray-ban.com/usa/products/rb2151/901-58I'm trying to find out which lens color he might've used. I want polarized lenses, if possible. Also, how do I remove the Ray-Ban logo on the right lens without messing up the look at all?Thanks!Code

I'm sure Coop will be alone to enlighten you and/or you could do a Search as this has been discussed before. Why would you want to remove the logo though?

http://www.ray-ban.com/usa/products/rb2140/954Here's the link for the 2152: http://www.ray-ban.com/usa/products/rb2151/901-58I'm trying to find out which lens color he might've used. I want polarized lenses, if possible. Also, how do I remove the Ray-Ban logo on the right lens without messing up the look at all?Thanks!Code

Don Johnson wore 80s ray ban wayfarers model # 5022.They are tortoise frames. The standard lenses are G-15 grey/green lenses. The lenses are not polarized.The ray ban logo on the right lens, and on the sides of the temples is on modern ray bans. The vintage 80's versions did not have the ray ban logo on the glass or temples.Check out my threads in the SCRAPBOOK section, "MIAMI VICE SUNGLASSES MAKES, STYLES, & IDENTIFICATIONS" and "RAY BAN WAYFARER HISTORY".-COOP

I'm glad my Clubmasters don't have the logo on the side...when you pay $150.00 for them, you know they are the real thing!:DWouldn't mind having a new pair of Wayfarers...don't care for the logo on the side, guess I could swap earpieces from old ones.

[COLOR="Purple"">

I'm glad my Clubmasters don't have the logo on the side...when you pay $150.00 for them' date=' you know they are the real thing!:D[/color']

:clap::thumbsup:

Yeah, I have the modern Tortoise-Shell Wayfarers--with the Ray-Ban logo on the side ear pieces. Other than the logos they're pretty much just like what Crockett (Don) wore on the show. But, I like my logos there--as it states they are the real thing...as there are so many millions of "knock-offs" and I want it known I got the real thing. ;)Also, I'll have to go back and watch again...but I recently just got done watching first season again, and I could almost "swear" that sometimes Crockett's Wayfarers have (at least one of the ear pieces) the logo on the temples?? But...maybe not.

But, I like my logos there--as it states they are the real thing...as there are so many millions of "knock-offs" and I want it known I got the real thing. ;)Also, I'll have to go back and watch again...but I recently just got done watching first season again, and I could almost "swear" that sometimes Crockett's Wayfarers have (at least one of the ear pieces) the logo on the temples?? But...maybe not.

No logos are on the temples in the 80s. Just the little metal piece like the ones on the front that hold the screw backing.Eingefügtes Bild

• 1 month later...

Glass Lenses on 1980 raybansOne of the main differences on the original wayfarers is the lenses. The glass lenses are different. When the plastic lenses came out the stores tried to sell that there was no difference but I prefer the glass. When I put them on it is "ahhhhhhh" way easy on the eyes especially for driving.:happy:

• Administrators

Unfortunately that little logo on the lens doesn't come off. I can deal with it on the sides but on the lens is simply overkill.

Unfortunately that little logo on the lens doesn't come off. I can deal with it on the sides but on the lens is simply overkill.

Logo Overkill Agreed...a couple of items to note:1) If you use a sunscreen, be careful, as most of the compounds will ATTACK the plastics used for the frames....usually resulting a a permanent dulling or flattening of the finish. In extreme cases, you may even break down the surface and cause pitting. (how do I know, I've (unfortunately) ruined both a pair of RB, as well as significantly pitted a pair of Persol 69218s (EKKKK).2) You may be able to remove the lens logo by carefully masking off the frame and exposing ONLY the logo area of the lens...and try a Q-Tip dipped in Acetone...it most likely is only a silkscreen operation, which should dissolve with a couple careful applications. Have extra Q-Tips (dry) handy to dry and abrade the logo...the lenses are glass, so they shouldn't be damaged.....Extreme care should be used as Acetone is a powerful solvent..and could (if handled improperly) damage the frames.......good luck.

Logo Overkill Agreed...a couple of items to note:.......and try a Q-Tip dipped in Acetone........Extreme care should be used as Acetone is a powerful solvent..and could (if handled improperly) damage the frames.......good luck.

BTW Acetone is also the main ingredient in most nail polish removers...Check the ingredients, since they also make acetone-free nail polish removerAgain, use with care....you don't need much or have the Q-Tip only slightly damp w/Acetone.P.S. I don't spend much time in the nail polish aisle......ha...just know a little about solvents, mfg. processes and such....

The very small "RB" letters in the outside corner of each lenses cannot be removed...and may be part of the lens casting process. I assume you've been talking about the white Ray-Ban logo, which appears ON one of the lenses.I'm assuming these are G-15 lenses and true Ray-Bans (which will have glass lenses)...if they're polycarb lenses, Acetone may attack / fog them....Thus my advice to mask frame areas so NO Acetone gets onto the frames, which are a poly-carb resin.....