ELVIS - ALLIGATOR, A-L-L-I-G-A-T-O-R

widereceiver 88

Hi allIs it really true that an Alligator, such as Elvis can be trained to be doing what he's doing especially on Sonny's boat? Even when the authorities came to fetch him, Sonny took him by the leach and graciously walked him back to the boat.I suppose any animal can be trained to do whatever u want him to do.Does anyone have any inside into Elivis's history?Later

Hi allIs it really true that an Alligator' date=' such as Elvis can be trained to be doing what he's doing especially on Sonny's boat? Even when the authorities came to fetch him, Sonny took him by the leach and graciously walked him back to the boat.I suppose any animal can be trained to do whatever u want him to do.Does anyone have any inside into Elivis's history?LaterSieg[/quote']I'm not an animal behaviorist expert, but I'm fairly certain that Alligators cannot be trained. They are very ancient, primitive animals, and virtually anything they do is by instinct.They can perform "tricks" for the camera by the trainers doing things to make the alligator react to things, such as offering food off camera to make him open his mouth.In the pilot episode when Tubbs asks Elvis, "Hey Elvis, where does Crockett get his music from? The Sears and Roebuck catalog?" Elvis turns and opens his mouth lightning fast. That "trick" was done by the trainer poking him on the tail with a stick off camera. The alligator reacts to this.

• Administrators

I don't think he's going to go get you morning paper for you. :)I gotta agree with Coop, that is an animal that only responds to stimulus of some kind to get a limited natural reaction.If you ever watched Steve Irwin in Crocodile Hunter shows (yes crocodiles not alligators but I think they share a common interest) he could get them to jump out of the water or chase him when he was mowing the lawn around their pond but all of that was a natural response to either food, territorial invasion or hunting (him in this case) that made them do what they naturally do.Also, Coop has pointed out in a lot of threads that if you look real close you can see the black/green electrical tape around his mouth so that he couldn't bite the actors when doing shots that were too close to him.Now Geckos on the other hand have been trained to do insurance commercials but I think that is a little different. ;)

Now Geckos on the other hand have been trained to do insurance commercials but I think that is a little different. ;)

And not just any Geckos, European Geckos!:D

DJ once said in an interview something like "an alligator can only do two things to you - he either bites you or he doesn't..." :D That was an answer to a host's question about "trained alligator".

DJ once said in an interview something like "an alligator can only do two things to you - he either bites you or he doesn't..." :D That was an answer to a host's question about "trained alligator".

Very good point, and very true.Also, that's why they call the guys that handled Elvis, "ALLIGATOR WRANGLERS", and not "TRAINERS".

• 2 weeks later...

Coop don't you have an interview that shows DJ with Elvis and they had to stop shooting and wait for Elvis to do something. I thought you had that photo and an article that mentioned a bit about Elvis and how they did a few things or was the DJangel that had that? Oh I'm confused now. And I think I remember somebody telling me from that other group we used to be on that it was to hard to keep Elvis so they just got rid of him? Sue

I'm not an animal behaviorist expert' date=' but I'm fairly certain that Alligators cannot be trained. They are very ancient, primitive animals, and virtually anything they do is by instinct.They can perform "tricks" for the camera by the trainers doing things to make the alligator react to things, such as offering food off camera to make him open his mouth.In the pilot episode when Tubbs asks Elvis, "Hey Elvis, where does Crockett get his music from? The Sears and Roebuck catalog?" Elvis turns and opens his mouth lightning fast. That "trick" was done by the trainer poking him on the tail with a stick off camera. The alligator reacts to this.[/quote']

I've posted all sorts of articles, and photos of Elvis that nobody else has.I dunno, I've posted stuff all over the board. It's hard to remember where everything is, ....but I have posted stuff. It's here (or on the "other" site) somewhere. :thumbsup:

This wasn't the photo I meant. DJ was in front of the boat. This photo I've never seen before and I love it! I just saw that one the other night it's from Heart of Darkness, right? It's cool to see how they had DJ hold Elvis and you never saw them off camera holding him too.....great photo, thanks once again Coop, Sue

Eingefügtes Bild

This wasn't the photo I meant. DJ was in front of the boat. This photo I've never seen before and I love it! I just saw that one the other night it's from Heart of Darkness' date=' right? It's cool to see how they had DJ hold Elvis and you never saw them off camera holding him too.....great photo, thanks once again Coop, Sue[/quote'] Your welcome! I'm full of suprises. :thumbsup:

I don't think he's going to go get you morning paper for you. :)I gotta agree with Coop' date=' that is an animal that only responds to stimulus of some kind to get a limited natural reaction.Also, Coop has pointed out in a lot of threads that if you look real close you can see the black/green electrical tape around his mouth so that he couldn't bite the actors when doing shots that were too close to him.[/quote']Here's another example of the tape, or strap around Elvis' mouth.Eingefügtes Bild

Just wondering how he made all those noises when the tape was around his mouth,i remember that he wasn't very happy, especially with those two ladies(think they were game wardens/officers).I suppose special sound effects comes to mind.

• 11 months later...

:shout: ELVIS ROCKS!!! :dance::dance:

Oh yes !... and in my (our?) hearts he lives forever. The scenes with him were great, but I also think the animal has suffered.

Training a Alligator? Say hello to Fluffy (man, that's no name for a alligator - at least ELVIS has that 'the king' thing to it).

But with Elvis she wouldn't done it, the old Bandit! With a "Fluffy" that's probably easier. WOW - Hats off to this lady :thumbsup:. So I? I WOULD NEVER MADE THAT, even if I had learned it, because - I would not want to learn that :p! Good clip - thanks! :clap:

Training a Alligator? Say hello to Fluffy (man' date=' that's no name for a alligator - at least ELVIS has that 'the king' thing to it).

http-~~-//youtu.be/0QPdr3EoEdY

Competition for Elvis, perhaps? Naaaahhhh!!!:shout: ELVIS FOR .WS MASCOT! :shout:

I think we all have a soft spot for Elvis........one where he can take a bite out of us lol :) OK that was silly :rolleyes:I love Elvis. The show was not the same when Elvis stopped appearing & the St Vitus Dance was also featured less. It just took away a lot of Crockett's character - the guy living on a sailboat with an alligator. It was one of the unique characteristics of the show.I'm guessing he was written out due to the increasing serious nature of the show & less light-hearted/jovial moments? Or was it due to the difficulty of filming with such a dangerous animal?