D.J. Movies

widereceiver 88

Quite interesting to see that whenever D.J.is in a movie, that there are always the same sort of actors with him, like for instance Harley Davidson and the Marlborough Man u have Giancarlo Esposito who played in quite a few M.V. Episodes. U have William Russ who played Evan in Vice who appears in The Long Hot Summer and Just Legal with D.J.Then i'm not even talking about Nash Bridges where u have P.M.T. Meatloaf, John Diehl who played Zito etc.etc.I wonder if u are in lead role do u have any say as to who u want with u, or do the producers knows who to put with who? I suppose they do.Just a interesting observation.Anyone else see a pattern here?Later

One more to the same topic: James Gammon and DJ played father and son in both of these films! Their relationships in NB and Long Hot Summer were very different, though.Speaking of Nash Bridges - I think those many appearances of MV actors there are definitely base on DJ's influence (if not on a direct order, LOL), because he was an executive producer.

Yeah thanx CheetahI also forgot about Melanie Griffith who was his wife twice, also played in Vice as well as the movies Paradise and Born Yesterday.

Well, this one is no surprise... :)I've read a very interesting story about how Melanie Griffith got DJ to play with her in "Born Yesterday" (and it was she who was approved to play the star part first, not vice versa). She had some contract that included cast approval rights, and talked the director into taking DJ. And she knew that if she asked Don to go to the casting, he would refuse (cause he didn't see himself fit for that part or something like that), so she arranged their meeting with the director, who invited Don himself (and was very persistent). Don was surprised and couldn't find the reason to refuse, so he had taken the part (and later admitted that he enjoyed playing it).Of course I can't guarantee that the story is true... but looked believable to me. (The funniest part was that DJ knew nothing about Melanie's conspiracy till she confessed it during the interview and was very surprised. :D Wish I could see his face... :D) It was an early 90's interview with the couple from some magazine (maybe Hello, but I'm not sure). I'll post if I find it again.

Thx so much for the info, CheetahI'm sure there's a lot of our friends out there who would like this info.So by the way what about out friend 'Izzy' who also played in Nash. Could not believe when i heard a different and almost serious accent.And then there's Cheech Marin who plays Nash's partner who we can also see in Tin Cup.Seems to me the list goes on!

His son Jesse played with him in Nash (Bobby's son, season 6), and then in "Word of Honor" (same character as DJ played, but in younger age). But this is no wonder either. :)

Wow if that is true it's so cool. I love to find out little diddies here and there about things like this. So DJ was conned...lol...great I love it! thanks so much cheetah, Sue

Well' date=' this one is no surprise... :)I've read a very interesting story about how Melanie Griffith got DJ to play with her in "Born Yesterday" (and it was she who was approved to play the star part first, not vice versa). She had some contract that included cast approval rights, and talked the director into taking DJ. And she knew that if she asked Don to go to the casting, he would refuse (cause he didn't see himself fit for that part or something like that), so she arranged their meeting with the director, who invited Don himself (and was very persistent). Don was surprised and couldn't find the reason to refuse, so he had taken the part (and later admitted that he enjoyed playing it).Of course I can't guarantee that the story is true... but looked believable to me. (The funniest part was that DJ knew nothing about Melanie's conspiracy till she confessed it during the interview and was very surprised. :D Wish I could see his face... :D) It was an early 90's interview with the couple from some magazine (maybe Hello, but I'm not sure). I'll post if I find it again.[/quote']

Well... I've just had a chat with one person who told me that mass media (namely tabloid news and paparazzi) were barely 40% factual about celebrities. :rolleyes: (And I rather tend to belive it). So all we can do is hope that good things are true and bad things aren't... :DI think some friendly gossip between us fans here does no harm, though... ;) as long as we take everything with a grain of salt.

If I remember right the actor who played IRA STONE starred in my personal favourite D.J. movie - DEAD BANG. It was funny to see them both in a couple of scenes. :p

Yes u are absolutely correct, his real name is Bob Balaban who played Ira Stone in Vice.And don't forget that D.J.'s ex, Patti D' Arbanville also played Ira's wife in Bought and Paid for.

• Administrators
So by the way what about out friend 'Izzy' who also played in Nash. Could not believe when i heard a different and almost serious accent.
Watch "Planes' date=' Trains & Automobiles" and you'll hear Izzy with no accent.
And then there's Cheech Marin who plays Nash's partner who we can also see in Tin Cup.
I had read somewhere that DJ & Cheech became good friends during the filming of "Tin Cup" and that's where the idea for "Nash Bridges" was born.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember a thread like this in another seciton when this site first opened..lol...So I will not repeat what I put in that section. But I saw a movie called "When In Rome" And I thought in the commercials I spoted DJ and when I saw the movie he was in it. He has a small part which I wasn't happy about but he did a great job of being the girl's father. He was cute and funny about marriage and ex wives..lol.....So I guess that is the latest one of his movies here in the states? Anyone else know? I read about him playing father and son movie. He did play in a movie where his son played him as a younger man. Jessie did great too. I can't remember the name of the movie, it might be word of honor but that was in 2003 and I believe this movie was 2006 and I can't find the Dvd right now.....oh where is DJangel when I need her...lol..Ok any of you guys know the movie I'm talking about....thanks in advance Sue

Hey crocketsgirlYeah the movie was Word of Honor, i thought he played his character very well.Later