PAYBACK: GOOD OR BAD IDEA?

COOPER&BURNETT

At first, when CROCKETT in PAYBACK stated that Mario Fuente was out there on his boat in the Ocean. That's where the drug deal take place just you and him on the boat. Any sign of trouble, he dumps it into the Ocean. All the little fishes get frozen noses.Sounds like an outstanding idea.If your a cop, how can you bust the guy? It's hard to get an appointment with him, so he stays clean. He has middle men. The coke can be dumped in the Ocean any sign of trouble.What is a cop to do?I was thinking, why not cut off his supply?If he's out there in the Ocean with the coke, just intercept any boats in the area if you have any patrols out there. Costly, yes, but isn't he a big time dealer? I seem to remember the talk of quarter ton blocks. That's a major score.Your thoughts?

That's a hell of a buffer if you're dealing the bad stuff, but it would make for a very small clientel, I would think:Paranoia; not so much running out on a boat for the pickup, but coming back to the same spot on the dock, I think the wide open feeling would be a major source of nervousness. There's nothing like solid walls and dark streets to make one feel artificailly safe.Well to do clients; need a boat. How many dealers starting out make several runs a day to replenish? You're only going to garner the higher end dealers.Supplies; I can survive for a couple of months at a time from one, solid, large, grocery store run, with a full size fridge and plenty of cabinet space. How many supply runs are we receiving as the bad guy? And what's the point of being the bad guy if I have to live frugally, supply-wise?There's a business model there but it would be niche at best, of course if you're the bad guy, that buffer would be a better defense against the 5am door-smash.This could be a fun discussion :D

• Administrators

I'd say it sounds nice but it is not a very good idea. I would think that he would not want to keep that much dope on his own boat out there. He would most likely have it brought to him in another speed boat and perhaps use that as the meeting place for the deal. The boat he was on was not that fast to out run anything so dumping was going to be his only option. If he was that big of an operator I'm sure the DEA could have made a deal with the NAVY SEALS or perhaps have their own team of specialty divers for that sort of thing to have them come in underwater in mini subs or even rubber boats and take the boat down in the middle of the night by surprise. That's kinda a classic SEAL scenario. Come in under cover of darkness and take down when least expected.Obviously the Miami Vice team couldn't have done this but I'm sure the DEA could/would have had the connections to get it done if he was a big enough target/threat.