The Burnett Saga...Weakest Link

MrsEvanFreed

My one issue with this amazing arc is the villians.Didn't mind Manolo too much, but the others were somewhat lacking.Carrera and his wimpy son with the creepy mullet, at least that's what I thought it was supposed to be. El Gato?Okay where do I even begin, even now I've watched this arc and though WTH?I loved Jon Polito on Homicide Life of the Street, but he was simply awful in this role. Cliff King was annoying, just wasn't buying Max Headroom as a major player in the drug biz.

Burnett was a bas ass MOFO, just wished he had more worthy opponents. Carrera, Miguel and El Gato were basically clowns.Cliff King the Court Jester.Imagine Burnett going up against Calderone?

True.But imagine him in as his alter ego, tryin to takeover Calderon's empire and make it his.Oh man, would've loved to see that go down.

True.But imagine him in as his alter ego' date=' tryin to takeover Calderon's empire and make it his.Oh man, would've loved to see that go down.[/quote'] That would have been awesome! :thumbsup:Simply put, though, it's true. I think by Season 5 not only had the production values gone down, but that sense of danger that MV was known for went away. If the Burnett arc had happened in '84-'85, let's say, El Gato would have been written like a Calderone/Tony Montana and come off as a completely ruthless adversary for Sonny. But for some reason, it all just feels ... different in Season 5.

If Burnett had tried that crap with Calderone or even Frank Mosca...B0000000000000000000000M!Not saying that he couldn't have pulled it off, but they definitley would've put up a hell of a fight. Plus it would'nt have been so easy for Burnett to infiltrate either organization.JM0

I thought Cliff King was a good character and had no problem seeing him as more than Max Headroom. King was a backstabbing piece of sh*t played very well by Matt Frewer and he is/was a victim of typecasting. He is a supporting actor of high caliber. I'll also point out his portrayal of Trashcan Man from Stephen King's The Stand, or more recently his small parts in Dawn of the Dead and Watchmen.

I thought Cliff King was a good character and had no problem seeing him as more than Max Headroom. King was a backstabbing piece of sh*t played very well by Matt Frewer and he is/was a victim of typecasting. He is a supporting actor of high caliber. I'll also point out his portrayal of Trashcan Man from Stephen King's The Stand' date=' or more recently his small parts in Dawn of the Dead and Watchmen.[/quote'] He also recently appeared on Supernatural as Pestilence.Frewer was great in the DOTD remake and Watchman, just didn't care for the character he played in the Burnett saga.

He also recently appeared on Supernatural as Pestilence.Frewer was great in the DOTD remake and Watchman' date=' just didn't care for the character he played in the Burnett saga.[/quote'] They could have written the character differently to play better to Frewer's strengths. Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, there just wasn't that sense of danger in the Season 5 villains. We didn't see anybody along the likes of a Calderone or a Hackman during that time.

My one issue with this amazing arc is the villians.

Excellent point. I never thought about it before, but that is EXACTLY the part of the Burnett arc which bothers me the most. A real villain would have made these eps incredible.

Maybe the problem was that Burnett was the real villain...until he wasn't. He got his memories back and had a change of heart.

Exactly. Even if the supporting baddies around him weren't all that great, becoming Burnett was the furthest they could push the Crockett character. After Sonny recovers, there wasn't much more for the writers to do, at least in offering up solid villains for the rest of Season 5.

Don Johnson was at his best in those episodes so it had to have been the villains. I mean, the scene where he touches the mirror (in Mirror Image)... powerful.